5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent original story
Published on 10 Jan 2010 by PJ Rankine

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodwill and a low budget gets some reward
A good independent film made on a low budget with contributions from hundreds of people --What's not to like?
Well in places it looks like a made for TV film with poor lighting and inconsistent dialogue. The soundtrack is basic at best and some of the acting wooden. The special effects are creaky and several scenes are disjointed;(like early Dr. Who!!)
It's not...
Published on 25 April 2012 by Scotter

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent original story, 10 Jan 2010
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The front cover of my dvd case says 'A dark wondrous poetic tale' and that's exactly what it is. I'm sure some film buff will correct me and tell us all that it's based on some long forgotten silent movie by a director we've never heard of but to me this seemed completely original and fulfilled its description of wondrous. The storyline is simple, whilst the world sleeps our dreams and nightmares are fought over by good and evil potrayed here by the Storytellers and the Incubi who inhabit an alternative world. One night a random character called 'Ink' kidnaps a small girl and takes her into this alternative world as a sacrifice to the Incubi so that he can be accepted by them. The story follows the Storyteller's efforts to rescue her and what is going on in the real world. The fact that this may be low budget never becomes apparent through its intelligent use of sets and effects. The film is presented in full screen and the soundtrack is moody and significant. This film may never get a box office release and I suspect a lot of viewers wouldn't get it anyway. If you like a good story then buy it and see for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodwill and a low budget gets some reward, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Ink [DVD] (DVD)
It's not the Matrix or Inception but it has merit in terms of its ambition and plot.
For me, to get this movie made for less than $500,000 is a monumental achievement when one considers the money wasted on efforts such as Transformers and Wrath of the Titans.
Some of the film reminded me of Mirrormask and perhaps Pans Labrynth where Dark & Light are in conflict with a young girl at risk.
In my opinion it is worth viewing

5.0 out of 5 stars Independent, beautiful and multi-layered, 28 April 2011
D. D. Ruskin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ink [DVD] (DVD)
Ink is not for everyone. But it is for an awful lot of people, and you're probably one of them. Made on a budget of $250K, you'll be in wonderment over what has been achieved. Yes there's a overly long latex nose, but even this has a purpose (cue the directors commentary...).
But lets not focus on that, as many of the other costumes, set-pieces and effects are staggering considering the aforementioned budget.
Not convinced? Well, after viewing you will be, as during the film you'll be captivated by its beauty, action and developing plot. What appears to be sometimes random silliness or strange events will all make sense at some point, especially the end. Thats if you're lucky (or clever?) enough to get it the 1st time around. I have seen it a number of times (approx 8) and only just given it a rest, and im not your average serial watcher.
I feel I should include a warning though, so here goes: If expendables was your top film of 2010, do not buy this, it probably won't be your cup of tea (or can of artificially flavoured fizzy drink). Action yes, but there is a brain to be engaged in this experience.
Because for the viewer, there are lessons to be learned in Ink, and what better class can one take than a bold, poetic, creative and very well acted 107 minutes of film. Lets not call this a movie, lets stick with film.
I know I have not really explained much about the storyline, but why bother? If you crave some plot information above some healthy risk then read another review, as frankly im tired of trailers showing me way too much these days.
Oh yeah, the soundtrack compliments too, its a perfect haunting fit.
So what you waiting for, this independent film deserves your money and time.
Are you still here, the buy button is to your north..

5.0 out of 5 stars NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ink [DVD] (DVD)
I bought Ink on one single recommendation from a stranger on a forum here on Amazon. I've never been so pleasantly surprised by a blind movie purchase in my life!
Ink is an independent film, not with an enormous budget, but it doesn't stop it from being an incredible film with gorgeous visuals. You can see how much work went into every single second of this film. This movie stands out among everything else I've seen in a long time. Absolutely unique. The acting was fantastic, especially the acting from the young girl Quinn Hunchar, playing the character Emma. The ideas were original, the characters interesting, and the plot was engaging. And the ending... prepare for one hell of an ending. And some of you will need to keep some tissues close... A description on the back of the package compares the movie to Brazil, Donnie Darko, The Matrix, Dark City, and Pan's Labyrinth. I would definitely group it in with those films, although it is not a ripoff of any of those films at all.
Quick synopsis: there is another world, a dream world where two sides are fighting to control our dreams. Some our bringing us pleasant dreams, and others, the incubi, are bringing us nightmares. A battle ensues over the soul of a little girl named Emma, trapped in their world while in a coma... and the deciding factor falls on two men: John in the waking world, Emma's father, and Ink, a rogue warrior in the dream world, fighting to rid himself of his scars and shame.
This movie is absolutely incredible, please do yourself a favour and check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem of a movie, 12 Dec 2010
D. Hull "TooFitToDrop" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
It's almost a tragedy that this film hasn't had wider exposure to the general public, particularly in the UK. I only heard about it during a brief conversation with a mate I hadn't seen in a while. We were talking movies at some point and he mentioned that this was the best film he had seen in ages. I was a little sceptical of his claims at first, when I couldn't find it in any local stores here in the UK and no one I spoke to had heard of it either. If it was that good, how come it was so difficult to get hold of and why had nobody heard of it ? I eventually had to import it from the US. What a shame too, because this film deserves to have been very successful. It's no big budget hollywood offering but don't let that fool you. What these guys have done on a very modest budget blows many more expensively made films away. This is a brilliantly imagined, very dark and complex tale, that centres around the conflict between a high flying businessman's job demands and the demands of his family, his seemingly ambivalent relationship with his wife and very young daughter. It evolves in a world that seems to oscillate between dream and reality, as certain forces of good and evil battle each other for this man's soul and ultimately his daughter's life. There are some highly emotional (read weepy) moments in this film as indeed there are some equally disturbing moments too. The acting is first rate and though you can clearly see at times where money has been saved, there are still some surprisingly good special effects. The Incubi are particularly unsettling to watch. A glorious surprise of a film and one I can see myself watching many times. What a pity most people won't ever know it existed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, trippy, dreamy, bizarre = impressively odd, 23 Feb 2012
T. BROOKES "Brookey" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ink [DVD] (DVD)
Ink is a truly bizarre film, and will split opinions as to either being a great cult find or a load of nonsense.

Ink is ultimately a film about dreams, consciousness, and how a creepy character can steal you away. It is a marvellous piece of lighting usage, deploying tactical optical tricks for a sense of odd visual individualism. The whole film feels low-budget, yet clever, almost TV styled as it commendably uses an array of effects to create odd but interesting settings.

The story is that of a massively nosed baddie (Frank) who abducts a young girl (in her dreams) whilst she is left in a coma (in reality). As the two elope, there are scenes of fighting against the dream-protecting goodies, as this plays out in her unconscious state. Think 'Insidious' (not Inception as the cover claims) and it is all about 'demons' in your dreams that can harm you and stop you waking up (coma). There is plenty more to it than that and some of it's deeper messages and content may get lost or confuse.

This unique film overall is quite surprisingly slick and creative, with experimental and likeable shots (such as furniture falling and moving back), being innovatively cut. Yes the film is odd and there is some awful dialogue, silly characters and some bizarre parts but they all add to a seemingly ambitious, surreal and indifferent voyage. The fights are quite good, it is arguably gothic and dark, trippy, captures a dream state and leaves you processing what is a inspiringly independent film experience. One for film fans, sci-fi nuts and those with an open movie outlook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! ~ Stick with it, 6 Aug 2010
M. Walker - See all my reviews
Several times I was ready to hit the OFF switch within the first hour. But later thought what the Hell, I've seen this much, may as well stick with it until the end.

The last 30 mins were more of an eye opener, things started to make sense and the ending in particular left no doubts as to what had happened and what this film was all about. I thought to myself afterwards, I'd just sat through nearly 2 hours just for the last 30 mins to make any real sense, I shouldn't of bothered!

But then realised, No.. I needed to have watched all those illogical scenes beforehand to later appreciate the whole experience and put all into place!

2.0 out of 5 stars I so badly want to like it..., 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Ink [DVD] (DVD)
I admire this film, a massive massive amount. Every bone in my body wanted to like it. So I'll start with the positives. The biggest success is the film's antagonists. They really really are creepy, and beautifully designed - just wait until they take those glass panels away - and give the film a very promising, atmospheric start. Alas, it all goes downhill from then on. Firstly, the acting is painfully second rate, with a few good performances - unfortunately not from it's lead protagonist. The pacing is also awkward, moving so slow at points it becomes difficult to watch. But it's biggest failing is in it's over ambition. Now, it would be wrong to criticise a film for having a low budget, plenty of brilliant ones have been made of course. But Ink fails to realise it's limitations, for example, using jerky camerawork to cover up poorly coreographed fight scenes that are far too elaborate - short sharp scenes of more brutal, realistic violence would've been easier to shoot, and far more impactful, but these drag on far too long and the frenetic camera work means you have no idea what's going on. Furthermore, the film relies on CGI too much, CGI which it can't afford, so the results are very hokey, leaving the entire film feeling entirely unconvincing. It's a shame, because it's very imaginative, and despite moments of over-sentimentality, does actually carry some emotional depth. Give that writer/director a budget that can live up to his ambition, and you might just have ground-breaking sci-fi on your hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 24 Oct 2010
I had no idea about the story or plot for this film when I first watched it. As I did though I found I needed to see it through to the finish because I absolutely had to find out who these characters were and why. I thought it was original and I loved the music score. The camera work is great and the action sequences are well constructed. The effects are well done and not over the top. Put simply it is a classic story of good vs evil - but who wins in the end?

5.0 out of 5 stars A must watch for anyone, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Ink (Amazon Instant Video)
Simply put, this is one of the best films I've seen in a very long time! Quirky, unique, simple but what an ending!
This is a film which will initially put most off when they begins watching it.... I urge you not to... Watch it, all the way to the very end in one sitting and most will walk away feeling .... Well I won't spoil it for you...
Watch it, I cannot stress it enough... I'm not saying it's for everyone... But everyone I urged to watch it that I know where blown away... Including my parents who are in their sixties, once they got past the non Hollywood glamour and somewhat beautifully strange quirkiness and uniqueness, they loved it....
I accept some will hate it, some may be indifferent... But I know, some who may never have looked at this film, or even may have turned it off rather than watch to the end will experience something superb and different and mostly, totally unexpected.

Ink [DVD]
Ink [DVD] by Jamin Winans (DVD - 2011)
5.99