5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!
I was a bit skeptical of purchasing this product as I had not heard of this brand before and also because there are a number of products with perhaps more recognizeable brands competing in the same price range. After searching the Web and coming across a number of positive reviews, I thought, what the heck - let's give it a shot.

I'm glad that I gave these a...
Published on 14 July 2011 by Londoner

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, for the price ....
I bought these headphones, really not expecting a lot, but after reading some of the other reviews, hoping that they'd be what I was looking for.
Published 20 months ago by Susan Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling Headset with Microphone - Black (Electronics)

I'm glad that I gave these a chance. For others who may have similar doubts, here are my thoughts for your consideration.

Sound quality: Good, decent bass and the highs are crisp. The sound quality is better than I had expected and comparable to much expensive headphones that I've used before. I listen to a fairly wide range of music - classical to rap to house. It all sounds good on these headphones.

Active Noise Cancellation: Very effective, I've tried these on the street, bus, tube and overground in London and have to say when activated, it cuts out a lot of the background noise. As expected with ANC, there is an audible hiss when activated but it's barely noticeable once the music starts. I can listen to my music at a lower volume now that the sound doesn't have to contend with all the extraneous background noise.

Design / appearance: Better than I expected. It's not the most streamline or sleek looking set of headphones but it's not an eyesore to me either. The clip is handy, especially since the ANC unit adds a bit of weight to the cord so you can limit the pendulum affect by affixing the unit to your jacket or shirt.

Fit: I wasn't sure what to make of the rather strange-looking earbuds but I have to say they fit quite snug and are comfortable to wear. As expected, they are shipped with the standard 3 sizes.

Gotchas: I *forgot* to check compatibility of my Samsung Galaxy S with this device and found out that I have to use an adapter (included in the box). It's not an issue for me but this may be a deterrent for others. I would recommend checking the manufacturer's website to see if you need to use the adapter before purchasing.

Overall: I'm glad I bought these and would recommend this to others who are looking for an affordable pair of ANC headphones that offer good sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Trains, Planes and Automobiles., 13 Oct. 2014
I have a friend who kept pestering me to buy noise cancelling headsets. He had bought a set around the £50 mark and extolled their virtues. I finally succumbed and reviewed the market and came across this set considerably cheaper than £50, I thought it was worth a punt so bought a set. Wow. I am massively impressed. I have a number of other pairs at the £10-40 price range and these beauties can easily hold their own against any of them without the noise cancelling switched on based on build quality and sound reproduction. I do like the ability to recharge using a micro usb as we now have many devices; phones, kindles, tablets all using the same charger.
For the noise cancelling itself, I can see why people are unhappy about it's effect. If you're looking to cancel ALL noise, go and get the £200+ kit. For example, I did not hear much improvement in the gym or in the house.

If you want to cancel out the background engine noise or road rumble you hear on a plane, train or car, this set absolutely works. I actually bought a second set and we will use them almost exclusively for plane travel. At the price, it's a steal. You even get a wee bag to store the headset which allows me to also store our Aeroplane headphone socket adaptor for those older fashioned systems.

One tip to further enhance their performance is to buy a set of comply isolation earphone tips. The 400 range fits these headsets.
One of my best, low cost, techy purchases of recent times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful noise cancelling for persistent drones., 29 Jun. 2014
I've owned these for 4 months and am delighted. Not sure whether to buy them or not? Here's a simple way to decide.

If you want to block out noise on a train, bus, tube, aircon, worksite or anywhere else where there is a consistent noise, buy them.

For the price, I don't think you're going to get better quality. I've used them on long haul flights sitting over the wing, as well as on my daily commute via train and tube. They block out 99% of noise, to the point where I can listen to my music in peace. There are three different earbud sizes, so fit should not be a problem. Don't expect perfection, but this is as close as you'll get for the price. If you're a true audiophile, don't expect miracles - this is for the generic commuter who wants to block out annoying background noise. They also stay charged for a long time as well which is very helpful and can plug into your usb port for a quick charge at any time.

If you are looking to block out ALL noise, including people talking, don't buy it. Frankly you need to up your budget because you're not going to get total noise cancellation at this price. They definitely don't block out chatter and talk, as other reviewers have mentioned. I don't view this as warranting a lower review, however, as this should be expected by anybody with any experience with noise cancelation.

Overall the quality for the price is excellent and fit for purpose. I've owned pricey Sennheiser noise cancellers before (which were awesome), so can say with experience that these are a fantastic budget item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordered my second pair, 19 April 2013
I've used this regularly for more than one year now, detecting their good and bad points.

Good:
- Very good noise cancelling, much better than heard on some much more expensive sets
- Light and portable, unlike the sets which use AA or AAA batteries
- Very good battery life
- Sound quality comparable to a much higher price range
- Price (is this real?!?!?!). One of the top noise cancelling sets on the market for just £10? I initially paid £30 and it still was an amazingly good price!

Bad:
- The only flaw I found so far is that the earbuds fall out very easily. Extra attention is needed and I guess the pouch for keeping the headphones in does have its meaning...

I would certainly recommend and in fact, I have already bought them for others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb music and good cancellation, 24 Jan. 2011
I've been surprised by these since first trying them. The music reproduction is superb and the ambient cancellation is much more impressive than any other units I've tried. Battery life is excellent too - it laughed at a 12h flight and was an absolute godsend throughout.

Digital Silence DS-101A Ambient noise Cancelling Stereo Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying pleasure, 18 Sept. 2012
I bought Digital Silence soly for flying and could not be more happy, not only could i listen to my music without the background hiss but found that they also silenced screeching children to a soft whimper.But they are no good for stopping them kicking the back of your seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, at last!, 20 Aug. 2011
I tried them all. Audio Technica (ATH ANC7), Sennheiser (PXC 250), Bose (Quietcomfort 3).

All of them good, but all of them BIG. As a result, they would all spend most of the year in a drawer, and when ready to go on holidays they would be left behind because of their size. Kind of defeats the point, really.

But not anymore. These little Wolfson beauties are small, therefore portable, so they slip in your pocket / bag / cabin luggage effortlessly.

And because of their size, they can also be worn in public, in any and all situations, all year round.

Did I mention the sound quality? Just as good, if not better than all the others mentioned above. Just as efficient, if not more, in the noise cancellation department.

So all in all, a pair of noise cancelling earphones that you can actually carry with you at all times, and which sounds gorgeous! It even comes with a pouch for transport, and an adapter for those who wish to use a mobile phone instead of an mp3 player (yes, it also has a mic so you can take phone calls with it!)

Definitely five stars. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality for the Price!, 4 Feb. 2015
This pair of headphones is a perfect example that low price does not necessarily mean low quality!

The Good:

I must say that the ANC is surprisingly good! I tested it out this morning on the (incredibly) busy London Tube and I was quite surprised about the amount of noise it reduced. All this for £20? - Crazy! For the first time in a while I could enjoy my music without having to boost the volume to the maximum (not the best thing for your head at 8am). This said, this is my first pair of ANC headphones and I don't have a big area of reference. However, you shouldn't really compare a £20 pair vs a £240 for the market-leading Bose.
Note: Don't expect that they will block all types of noises around you, ANC works best on the lower frequencies (Engines, Tube Noise etc) - it won't block people speaking around you etc.

Also, the earpiece is quite comfortable - In-ear headphones usually cause pain in my years, but these ones don't. Probably because they are designed not to go too deep in your ear (and they don't have to given the ANC).

The music sounds quite crisp and nice, nothing exceptional, which leads me to:

The Not-so-Good:

The Bass is lacking a bit - It's not really that bad, bu if you are searching for bass heavy headphones, these are probably not the one for you. The middle range could have been a bit louder as well (nothing that can't be fixed by playing around with the equalizer though)

If you can't clip the battery to your jacket/ Shirt it might start pulling the earplugs from your ears - not the nicest feeling to be honest, BUT I found a workaround for this:

TIPS:

I found that, if you swap the left for right earplugs and bring the cables behind your ears (the way professional in-ear monitors are worn) the headphones do indeed become more comfortable and I have found that wearing them this way, causes less pull from the actual battery.

Hope this helps!

TL;DR: Surprisingly good quality for £20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds, noise cancelling doesn't work though, 12 Jun. 2014
I needed a new set of earbuds, as the set I had before failed where the jack plugs into the phone (a common place, for me at least). I was going to replace them with the third set of the same but they've shot up in price and only last me about a year, so I decided to look around. I wanted a set with inline controls, ideally to skip tracks, answer calls and adjust the volume.

Like many people I've never heard of this make before. I'm always willing to take advice from reviews though and these have many good comments, so I decided to give them a try. The controller doesn't adjust the volume but as they're quite a bit cheaper than the set I wanted I decided to give them a go.

The sound quality is great. I listen to a wide variety of music and have used more expensive headsets. With these I've heard subtle details I've never heard before, like a brushed snare drum on a Rolling Stones track. I also listen to heavy rock and they handle the bass just fine, no distortion even when cranked well up.

Some people haven't got on with the shape of the earbuds themselves. The flexible bud goes into your ear the same as on others, then a 'bulbous' part of the earbud fills the remaining cavity of your ear, making them very left/right side orientated. I find them just as comfortable as my previous set. When the volume is turned up on a lively track you get the slightest of sound bleed, not enough I feel though to disturb somebody sat next to you on the bus for example.

There's a mic in the right hand wire so you can speak hands free/without taking the earbuds out. The sound is clear. The controller is quite heavy but has a good clip on it to attach to your clothing. The controller has a button to start/stop or skip tracks (depending on how your player is set up) and a slide switch for the noise cancelling.

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is I don't rate the noise cancelling. When you switch it on a green light shows so you know it's working. I found it took only the very edge off a person's voice (the sharp tone) rather than getting rid of it altogether. I know this isn't the most expensive headset in the world but since it's advertised as noise cancelling this is rather inaccurate. My last (admittedly more expensive) earbuds were noise cancelling by their very design, there was no sound leakage even when cranked up, so I don't have any experience with similar on/off type noise cancelling - I know some comments on here have said it's great, others not so.

Regardless of the slight disappointment in the noise cancelling I am happy to keep the headset, since I seem to be rather hard on earbuds generally and I don't mind so much if these also fail after a year since I paid a reasonable amount less than my last set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, for the price ...., 14 Aug. 2013
Susan Smith (Scotland) - See all my reviews
They are good as 'ordinary' headphones - good sound, good bass, but as noise cancelling, they are a fail . There is no difference at all between being switched on, or being switched off. The buds are also a bit on the hard side, but I replaced them with cheap silicone ones from the pound shop, and they're a lot more comfortable.

So, pros - Decent sound quality for the price
Cons - definitely NOT noise cancelling.