5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I could want in a watch
This autumn I relaised that everything I use to tell the time (computers, phone, ipad, wall clock, alarm clock) all switched over to GMT automotically. Except for my watch. When the strap broke and the face got badly scratched I realised that it was time for a new watch - one that would finally have all the features I had been looking for over the years.

First...
Published on 27 Dec. 2011 by Frank Hollis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not to my taste
The box was packed securely and the watch had protective film on the watch face and bracelet, also the original tag was attached so very reassuring that the watch is original and brand new. The styling is fine but the size of the watch is a little too small to my taste. This is only a personal criticism and something that is impossible to judge until you see it in the...
Published 2 months ago by N F Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I could want in a watch, 27 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)

First it had to look good yet be easily readable by my aging eyes. Then it had to be able to set the time automatically. Dual time was handy for when I'm away abroad (so the hands display local time, the LCD shows the time at home). Other goodies, alarms, stopwatch, timer weren't essential but they all seem to come along with the package.

So I had five short-listed candidates on my wish list for Xmas and my very kind friends selected the Casio LCW-100DSe. On Xmas morning it was the last of my pressies to be opened. I had a pretty good idea it was a watch, but which one? As I opened the tin containing the watch I almost dropped it - the hands started moving by themselves as soon as the lid came off. That's so cool!

How does it feel the next day? Pretty good. I have large wrists and the strap is surprisingly generous, I would guess that many people would need to shorten it. The claimed waterproofing survived this morning's shower. The illuminated face made it easy to read at night.

So far, excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make it simple, as simple as possible, but not simpler., 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
This watch offers almost everything that an everyday person would ever want from a watch without the fancy, flashy and useless functionalities that usually come along with similar watches. Does everything and still, it is extremely easy to use. I have already bought two!

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch that does everything, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
I wanted a watch that was radio controlled, solar powered, sapphire glass, waterproof for swimming, looked stylish and, importantly, wasn't too thick. This seems to be just about the only watch on the market that ticks all my boxes, and I'm pleased to say it looks even better in the flesh. At just 9.4mm it doesn't look too big on my fairly slim wrists. The only slight negative is that the black watch face is very reflective in bright light. Great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased despite needing a jeweller to adjust the the bracelet, 26 Oct. 2014
Jon65 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
This is not a full review, just a few remarks. The watch itself is as good as people have said. I wanted one that would not need a new battery every 2 or 3 years, would not require fiddly adjustment for GMT and BST changeovers, and generally look after itself. I'm well satisfied on those counts. It's also stylish and well built. Though it had to go to the jewellers as explained below, the last watch I entrusted to a jeweller donkey's years ago was returned to me with an annoying scratch on the plastic (or ordinary glass) face. This one would not have got scratched as the face is sapphire glass, second only to diamond on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.

It gets 4 stars rather than 5 [but see edit below] only because of the difficulty of removing bracelet links to make it fit the wrist. I can generally sort such things out myself, but despite reading advice kindly set out by other reviewers here, getting a watch pin removal kit, and watching a dozen YouTube vids, I had to admit defeat and get a jeweller to adjust it for £12. Quite honestly I was happy enough to pay that after spending hours trying to sort it, but potential buyers expecting to use it straight out of the box might be a bit optimistic. The manual is of no help on the bracelet, but reasonably comprehensive on the watch functions

Fine watch once you've got it on your wrist, does all you could ask of a watch, and an impressive piece of technology.

Later edit after wearing it for 2 weeks: I want to stress that this is a superb watch in every respect. I can't see how it could be improved and while I've never spent more than about £20 on a watch before, this one is worth every penny. It now gets 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio LCW-M100DSE-1AER Watch, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
Watch arrived promptly considering two extra days required. As I removed it from the container the hands set themselves to the time. Battery was on medium charge but the watch was set to Paris time, but was easily changed to London time, this automatically set it to Daylight Saving Time (DST), and was spot on to the second. This is the second solar/radio controlled casio for me, I left the last one alongside a magnet - won't do that again. The hands and the dial makings are part shiny chrome finish and in some ways make the watch very visible but in certain lights is a bit glary. The watch band is huge and I had to remove three links for it to fit my wrist. It's fairly easy to do with one of the cheap pin extractors, though I did need my watchmakers screwdriver to fully tap the pins out. There is no guidance with the watch on how to do this but You Tube had the answer. The are little arrows inside the watch band to show which way to remove pins & don't miss the little collar inside the male part of the link (once the link is separated this collar can fall out and it's very small). I've had the watch several days now and am very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 April 2015
Superb watch.

Firstly, thanks to the earlier reviewer (of the companion model) who noted that this is often cheaper at Amazon Germany than here in the UK. It was too. No tax or duty for shipping within the EU, and my normal Amazon UK account worked on the .de site. Saved a few quid, even after paying for delivery to UK, despite having Amazon Prime here.

The watch itself is perfect. Had it a few months now. I would recommend you look at it on Google Images - it looks far nicer there than in the poor picture here.

The radio time signal (in UK) is perfect. It's not missed a day yet, and almost always gets it on the first try. It starts trying hourly at 1am GMT (2am BST), and tries again on the hour a few times before giving up. I like the little bar that shows you whether today's reception worked or not. If you want, you can find out exactly when it worked, too.

The sapphire glass is flawless, as you'd expect, and the strap is very nice stainless. I have large wrists, and the as-shipped size was perfect for me, luckily.

The recent summer-time switch-over was picked up immediately, and now it has a small "DST" in the window, in case I need reminding. hmm.

I leave it on the window-sill over night - the strap allows it to prop itself up nicely with the dial facing the window. I leave it where the sun won't directly hit it, so it's facing the sky, not the sun itself. The power meter has not been other than HI since the day after I got it.

Having to leave on the window-sill is perhaps the only downside. I would prefer to have it on my bedside table, or even wear it overnight. I don't know whether it would then get enough light during the day to remain fully-charged - I work indoors, so perhaps not.

Overall very pleased - looks and feels like it's worth many times more.

If you're downloading the manual from the Casio website, note that the module number is 5161.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect., 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
A very clear to read display. Perfect time keeping with radio updating. Working solar charging to give a very long battery life. An effective alarm, stopwatch and timer. A very aesthetically pleasing design with no plastic/resin incorporated into the strap that spoilt other Casio designs. I would be suprised if anyone could fairly criticise this watch, particularly at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars fits my requirements, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
I was looking for a durable, easy to read and low hassle watch and this fits the bill perfectly.
Plus points
+ saphire glass so very scratch resistant
+ solar powered so no battery changes for several years
+ radio controlled perpetual calendar so no need for ajustments at the start of a new month or when daylight-saving kicks in
+ clean face with little clutter and good contrast with hands
Negatives
- face and glass are a bit too reflective in direct light situations
- very difficult to remove strap links - get the special tool or go to a jeweler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Gorrilla's can wear this....., 7 Sept. 2013
Dr. Anoop Sahal "Draks" (Northwest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
......straight out of the box!
The band is massive! Extra links are always welcome, but this requires link removal for human wrists.

The removal of links in this watch is VERY difficult and I say dangerous, unless you have proper tools.

The links are held together by pins which are narrow and fit into the link very tightly.

You could poke a pin out with a very narrow jeweler's screwdriver whilst balancing the link edge on, but the force required to push the pin out is massive.

This makes the risk of the link flipping over and of you stabbing yourself with the poking device significant. The risk of scratching the band is high too.

I suggest that when you order the watch you go to an auction site and order a small vice like device that grips the link safely and pokes the pin out safely by way of a screw driven poker.

Or you could pay a jeweler to do it. A local jeweler wanted £10 !

The vice cost me £3.99 delivered!

The watch is LOVELY.

I personally do not find the face too reflective. It seems to be a brushed effect finish.

The watch mass is substantive and gives an impression of HIGH QUALITY. The links are solid and enhance the feel of expense.

The solar cell is about 1.5 cm of the centre of the face.

Time keeping is accurate. Setting is easy.

The manual is in a tiny font.

Waterproofing is good and allows me to clean my watch in an ultrasonic water bath, keeping the watch clean.

The watch glass is some type of ceramic and likely to resist light scrapes.

The watch came in a trade marked metal tin and was packed in foam and a plastic bag.

The battery charge indicated mid level out of the box. It has not increased from this level after 2 days use.

I hope the battery replacement is easy when it eventually fails to hold a charge. The watch is likely to last a long time.

The AMAZON price of the watch is the CHEAPEST I could find anywhere on the net.

Delivery was 3 days before indicated.

This is a cutting edge, quality product that I feel will last years and years.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an excellent watch, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch (Watch)
It has all the functions one can expect from a modern watch for daily usage. It has a refined and elegant design, rather slim and light. And, of course, the strongest point is the wave receiver that makes it run synchronously with the GMT gauge.

Casio Funk LCW-M100DSE-1AER Gents Watch