4.0 out of 5 stars Disc wizard

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatable with OS Lion
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Simon

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatable with OS Lion, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Please do not buy this if you have OS Lion. Some applications included within the bundle do not work with OS Lion. There are no updates or patches available, which Roxio had promised users back in August 2011. I specifically wanted this software for the Audio Capture utility, but the program kept crashing and the recording level cannot be adjusted. I tried all available option settings and installed all available updates, but still not working. If you still feel you wish to buy this, please make sure you read all online forum reviews before making a purchase, as there are a lot of unhappy people out there...you have been warned. Personally, I will never buy another Roxio product again and I would hope that Amazon removes this item until Roxio can deliver their promise to its customers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toast Titanium 11 Roxio, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Good delivery with this product.

Very disappointed that this item is not the full software package. i.e. for Blue Ray burning an additional download is required at $19.99 apparently! Additional downloads apply to other parts of the software, these are also chargeable.

Please be aware before purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a con, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this product on recommendation from an Apple advisor having just purchased my first Apple computer (All-in-one Lion OS) since they had withdrawn iDVD an application enabling burning videos to dvd blu-ray etc (inexplicably in my view)from their iLife package which comes with the Apple. I am enthralled with iMovie..it readily accepts AVCHD files and is easier to use than most of the other editors that I have tried. With iDVD it would have been perfect but I could get no satisfactory explanation from Apple why it had been withdrawn. The only use I have for Toast 11 is to literally burn my iMovies to blu-ray. When I received the box containing the software from Amazon the info on the back persuaded me that this was a product that would do what I wanted .."Enjoy your digital media anywhere on any device". In the picture below this blu-ray is mentioned specifically.However coming to use it I soon got the message that "you need to purchase a plug-in to burn to HD and blu-ray" I did purchase it. Its cost is not negligible (about £17). Further, when I tried it did record the video on blu-ray but it was preceded by two screens of garbage when the software was set up to play the video directly. (And that was not a fault of the blu-ray player as I have other video derived via other pc packages that work perfectly)So I am not impressed and as far as my particular need for a burner is concerned I feel conned.! Amazon please note..I would have returned it to you but of course it was not until I had opened the software and tried it that the problem was laid bare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disc wizard, 23 Nov 2011
Mr. G. Carroll (LDN | HKG | SZX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you've burnt CDs or DVDs you'll have used Toast. It's been the industry standard software on Macs for well over a decade. Whilst Apple maybe moving away from discs, the world still uses them so having Toast 11 is really handy for ripping Blu-Ray, DVDs and CDs. Like previous versions once you get past the plethora of choices regarding formats creating a disc is as easy and drag-and-drop files.

If you have a previous version of Toast and are happy with it, 11 won't give you much more, but if you want to get the most of the latest Mac software ans still use optical discs for content sharing and storage its a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roxio toast 11, 16 Jun 2011
misswise (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pack comes with the cd and install key code to install the software on to your computer. Installing it is quite easy and straightforward to do. This software has easy to use interfaces to convert both audio and video files for instance to burn to dvd or audio cd. I'm not very techno savvy but the interfaces are easy to understand and i've managed to burn a dvd and create my personal mix cd so far. A good, easy to use product which I'll become more familiar with as I use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 15 Sep 2011
maximus (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rather than just keep listing all the functions of this software package ( which you can read in the specifications section of the product page on Amazon) I willl tell you what I have found the most useful feature, and thats the ability to "Convert video from the web, TiVo® DVRs, EyeTV tuners, Flip Video(tm) camcorders, DVD-Video and more for playback on iPad(tm), iPhone® and other portable players.". This is because my iPad has become the centre of my information and media at my fingertip world, and having a tool that helps to make even more usable and versatile, is a definite bonus.

4stars rather than 5 because ultimately it does have a lot of functions that most people will not use and a "light" portable device oriented version would be good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Swiss army penknife of file conversion, 23 May 2011
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this from Amazon Vine and it replaces my copy of version 7.

I originally bought Toast 7 to burn data discs and the odd music disc, but it turned out that it could burn commercial DVDs with the help of Mac the Ripper. I find the Apple disk burning via disk utility quite confusing. It was very useful and it's still working on Snow Leopard, although Disk Doctor isn't really stable any more.

In essence version 11 is the same programme with slightly flashier graphics and more of an emphasis on file conversion rather than disk burning.

I've basically tested three sets of functions so far in this product and I'll add more as I get a chance. So far I've burned a music album from a playlist, burned a movie from a Ripit file and converted a YouTube video for my iPod all successfully. So I'm quite impressed, the options can be slightly confusing and I needed to read the manual to get the YouTube conversion working. This really just scratches the surface of the available functionality. It also burns Blu-Ray disks and a BR lite version on DVD and converts almost any file format to any other. There are also label creation, and Tivo conversion programmes included.

There are free programmes of course - Burn and Handbrake are the best known, also Toast has a problem in that Apple seems to be getting rid of disk drives and has never moved onto Blu Ray drives. Notwithstanding these problems this really is a huge programme and if you're going to do a lot of disk creation or file conversion it's probably worth having. If your needs are more lightweight the free programmes will probably do. You may also want to use Ripit as a DVD ripper or similar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not totally necessary, 17 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first taste of Toast and Titanium was not a brand I was familiar before I installed this software on my new Apple Mac computer. After experimenting for a few weeks, I don't think this offers the value for money, or the functions it promotes and I feel the product description oversells what is actually provided in the box.

I guess I like the package, for an amateur like me it's pretty user-friendly and if I hadn't had much experience of this type of software before sampling Toast, then I couldn't deny that I do now have an improved ability when it comes to burning and mixing.

You can't argue this software isn't good for the price, but as another reviewer has noted, it isn't complete. I don't agree that the purchase of this software is a must for all Mac users, because I happen to think iMovie and the programs that come with the Mac are quite comprehensive in much of what Toast claims it offers exclusively. I don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't rush out to buy the next version when this one becomes obsolete.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cautious 5-Star Review. Roxio Toast 11: A Critical Review, 18 July 2011
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've been using the new Roxio 11 for more than a month now. I only use two of the softwares, Toast and Spin Doctor for digitizing cassette tapes. The others, like in the past, won't be used.

The good news is using OSX10.6.8, Toast and Spin Doctor works without fail.

Toast advertises that it can copy "unprotected" dvd's without a problem. Unless I'm mistaken, I tested this on two (2) different commercial dvd's that I have.

On the documentary, "The F* Bomb, there are several interviews that was profound. (I got tired of the documentary about halfway through but in the deleted scenes section I was struck by some commentaries by ICE T and Tera Patrick. ) What was interesting was that the Toast allows you to see a thumbnail of the "video_TS" files. So, I was able to distinguish the ones I'd like to have. Extracting them was as simple as selecting them and placing them in the burn file.

This new Toast gives you the ability to burn or to convert that dvd-quality file into 720p, to mp4 to mov to iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch as well as a "Blackberry" and Android configurations and about 15 others. I converted those files in HD, for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android--both for the EVO and The EVO 3D. Each conversion appeared in full resolution on each of those screens.

Next, I pulled out a dvd of Turning Point 2007. I only bought it because it was the first meeting between Gail Kim and Awesome Kong (what an exciting match!) This dvd was one long file. In Toast, I opened the time line and set the parameters just for that match. Toast copied that match down to the second and gave me similar options for it's conversion. Toast converted that 17-minute match in about 5 minutes or so. And, it looks great on my monitor.

Spin Doctor--One of my aunts gave a speech on Father's Day at her place of worship and wanted me to make copies. I decided to make things a little difficult. I transferred the audio on to a cassette tape. Then, I hooked the tape deck into the laptop's audio in slot and engaged SD.

Roxio has done a tremendous job of creating a modern user interface. SD's beautiful black and silver trim box is a visual treat in minimalist design. The sidebar asks what source to record from and the header gives you a choice recording settings. There's also a retro L/R meters in the center. After you capture the recording, you can elect to see the visual wave form. This recording can be saved in a number of different audio format like Wave, AAC, Apple Lossless and mp3. (The one thing I remember from a few years ago is that longer length audio files in SD sometimes would not save, much less be editable.) The 45-minute audio was captured and saved without issue.

Pro's
+ Toast looks to be a lot more stable than previous versions.
+ Toast gives you multiple options for burning or converting.
+ Beautiful interface.
+ Still reasonable when considering it's still an all-in-one suite.

Con's
- The software is essentially good for only 2 years from the date the company releases it. (Roxio should adopt the same business idea VMWare Fusion adopted--encourage registered customers to upgrade by offering an obscenely low price to upgrade to the newest version.)
- The warranty period should be at least 1 year from date of purchase.

4.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars More or less did everything I required of it, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Bought it to transfer Final Cut Pro projects to DVD. This it did with no hitches or glitches. The only downside was the lack of control over menus and how they display chapters

Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac)
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) by Roxio (Mac OS X)