on 3 December 2012
I purchased this as i was working with a Dof E group last summer who had these rucksacks from 2011 - they were made of thick canvas material a large extension to the main sack etc. Clearly designed to last and be robust. Loved the green colour So i was really 'sold' on the item. However the 2012 products with the same name are made of a less robust material, the pockets are thin and the bag extension is small.

Have used this 4 times for extended walks carrying 50-60lb. Because of the padding it is difficult to really load the hip belt as it keeps slipping down so most of the weight remains on the shoulders, not ideal over 3-4 day expeditions. Will keep using this as i need a large pack but not overly impressed really. You would expect the new product to be an enhancement/improvement on the previous version I suspect corners were cut to save on costs.
on 8 March 2012
My wife bought this for a gift at my request.

I walked the Ridgeway Trail with it last week - I carried enough supplies for 4 days and could have fitted enough for a week - it was comfortable the whole time, I had 16 kilos in it.

I would buy again and recommend to all.
on 1 June 2010
There are so many large rucksacks to choose from in the marketplace. Most of them appear to be able to fulfil their function but after looking at them more closely you may find that they are mainly only suitable for unambitious walks and periods ,getting uncomfortable after hours or days on the move. I tried the Verden 65+10 and found that after a few minutes adjustment the " Biofit " system adapted to my body . This is where Berghaus scored five stars with a semi-rigid plastic base or "spine" with straps and padding for fine-tune adjustment that did not appear to be fitted on other makes.I am now training with graduated weight in my rucksack on local hills and have found that the time spent in comparing and fitting different products was well worth it. All I can hope for now is good weather to use it !
on 17 February 2011
I bought it for a 3 week Australia tour which was mastered well in all ways. Bag was comfortable (I am 180cm tall) and very roomy, durable (no damages during the 9 flights we made). I enjoyed backpacking in this bag. What I liked a lot, is the frontal access to the main compartment.
The 1 star minus is for a small failure in a sewing (about 3cm(1inch)long) which we had to fix for our selves. Amazon did a great job by offering a new bag because of this matter, the new one did not have any problems at all.
All in one, a good bag for a good price!
on 1 March 2013
Comfortable and reliable backpack. I knew it was a top loading backpack when I bought it so I'm not going to decrease the rating because of that. I would however say that if this was a front loading (that you could open the whole front with a zipper), then this would go from being great backpack to being an epic backpack.
on 10 April 2012
The capacity of this bag is very impressive, even when filled with a load of clothes and equipment, the straps and back are very comfortable. The moulded (curved) cummerbund also adds to the comfort and stability. I thought I would have issues with a fully laden pack being quite a lean build, but this pack hugged my back without issue.

The main compartment can be divided into 2, to keep dirty & wet gear away from clean & dry gear. There are 2 large mesh side pockets too. I felt these pockets were actually a little too large, with loose openings, and when the pack was full, often found items about to fall out of the side pockets due to how things were being pushed about by my other gear in the main compartment.

There is a rain cover included in a compartment in the lid. The lid also has a second zipped compartment.

The only other thing of note is the number of straps this bag has. It's bordering on excessive! The straps all are well placed and very useful in securing everything, especially if your pack isn't 100% full (Which lets face it, is quite likely given how big the pack is!). However, one thing to consider is air travel. Most airlines do not like having loose straps on bags going into the cargo hold. You can either secure the straps by wrapping and tucking them into the bag somehow, buy a "bag for your bag", or just chance it. I personally felt that the bag may be durable, but it wouldn't survive a strap getting caught in a conveyor belt! One other option is to use the rain cover, putting it on backwards, to contain most of the straps.

The poor side pockets, and the straps, are my reason for giving 4, and not 5 stars. I'm sure both issues could be sorted with careful planning and packing, however at the same time I also feel other packs out there don't suffer from these issues quite as much.
on 17 October 2012
I must admit that I bought this rucksack based on the reputation of Berghaus. I bought it for the coast to coast walk so it needed to have space for all my gear. Top of my priorities was an adjustable back support. I am 5" 7 so relatively short and I have had problems before with rucksacks which tend to hang far too low down. This rucksack addresses this issue with an adjustable support. However this does not stay in place once you begin moving. It soon slips out of place as do the shoulder straps. This does make it very uncomfortable for walking with. I sorted this out by tying knots in the straps and using tape to secure them. The only other problem but a major one is the back support itself. I had 35-40 pounds of equipment on my back for the walk which proved too much for this rucksack. Like another reviewer here I was bitterly disappointed to find that after a few days the back had buckled under the strain, and a few days later the two supports had completely ripped through the canvas. This caused me a lot of pain and if Im honest it nearly forced me to quit the trail.
So on to the other points. I know why bother Ive already clicked on my 2 star seen as it completely failed me, but thats one more than 1 star...
-there are a LOT of straps hanging loose-only bothered me when i was stood on them trying to lift it up to put it on my back;o) but could be a problem on conveyor belts at airports etc get some tape ready!
-good features-really nice waterproof cover for the rucksack which should be mandatory for all rucksacks. If you are carrying a tent and strap it to the bottom the cover will still fit over it, however in high winds this will come off as unfortunately it doesnt have enough hold
-LARGE main compartment, really nice to fit all your bulky items and a flat pocket next to the back which I put my OS maps in. You get your extra space at the bottom, also I think a good design-this is where I put my sleeping bag
-Handy top pocket for waterproof jacket and trousers.
-side pockets are large and lots of compression straps

Its a shame really that the back system was the major flaw in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend this rucksack for any backpacking. If you travel lighter of course these issues may not be a problem
on 13 September 2012
I bought this in April in order to use on a trip around Vietnam. Having just returned I can report that it was not fit for purpose. After only a week the stitching had come apart at one of the straps despite a weight of only 15kgs in the pack. Even before that the external aluminium frame/rails (which allows the backpack to be tailored to suit your height) had been bent out of shape as, I presume, it proves a handy way for luggage handlers at airports to manhandle your luggage. This meant that I would receive a backpack with two metal rods sticking out after each plane journey. Indeed, on arrival at Gatwick even before flying to Vietnam this meant that the protective cover I had bought for the rucksack had already been destroyed. I abandoned the pack in Vietnam and bought another. Very disappointing from such a prestigious brand and equally disappointing to note that Amazon would seem not to allow me to address this issue in any way other than by leaving this review!

To sum up: If you are going travelling look at another, more sturdy, pack and definitely don't get one with external frame as it will be pulled apart by airport luggage handlers!
on 9 February 2016
This was a great backpack I used when I went to the Philippines, although a couple of the straps did break within a few days of arriving.
It did survive a good thrashing on top of the jeepny during an excruciatingly long and bumpy drive (about 3 hours on a small bus packed with people and my head bent to a painful angle.
It has loads of room and is very comfortable to wear for the longer periods although my back did sweat a lot with it on.
on 26 March 2013
It is simply BARGAIN. Such a low price for such a great product, I was really amazed, when I found that mine Tamrac Evolution 9 photo backpack is more expensive than this RUCKSACK.
That is THE rucksack. I loaded it 25+kg and didn't hear any rip/tear sounds, even while jumping from rocks, excellent quality.
Adjusting is perfect. Side pockets are great for storing mosquito spray, emergency medicament/food pack.
I love BIOFIT backsystem. I have problems with my back, and generally have a pain when carrying above 20kg, but that time I felt absolutely OK.