1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The best among great, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Weber: Der Freischutz (Audio CD)
There are some great reviews for this recording of Der Freischutz under its previous edition, but as there are none for this re-release I wanted to add a few words of encouragement.

At first I was put off by Schock as Max, too heavy I thought - but he soon won me over. He fills the role far better than the lighter-voiced Schreier in the Kleiber recording, or Gedda in the Heger recording, or Araiza under Davis.

Grummer has a strange voice, it's distinctly thin in the upper range but it doesn't seem to matter. (An odd comparison you may think but I feel the same about Tito Schipa). She brings a melancholic warmth to Agathe and her aria in Act II is delicious.

The star for me is Karl Christian Kohn. He has a big voice with great presence, and enjoys his portrayal of the evil, scheming Kaspar. His dialogue is tremendous - an real actor, who hisses his calls for Samiel and sends a shiver up your back.

Keilberth and the Berlin Philharmonic make Weber sound like Verdi - I meant totally positively. The casting of the bullets at the end of Act II is goose pimple scary. The 1958 sound is terrific and the supporting cast of Otto, a young Prey and Frick are top notch.

I would say, all round, it's the best recording out there.

ARRAY(0xaed07fe4)

Weber: Der Freischutz
Weber: Der Freischutz by Joseph Keilberth (Audio CD - 2011)