Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2011
Several years ago I stumbled across Midlake and their rather excellent Trials of Van Occupanther album. It contains the quite sublime single Roscoe and really is my choice when I want to just sit back and chill with some music that soothes and pleases in equal measures. The English Riviera might just supplant that CD now as it really does those two tasks and quite a few more. For an album that's named after the area of Devon where the head honcho comes from it has influences all over the globe. The laid back elegance of French music, Gainsbourg particularly, the electronics of the 80's new wave, the mid 80 Peter Gabriel sound (listen to She Wants and it could be off PG3 or 4), some have suggested the eagles are referenced here too although it doesn't quite pull me in that direction. However, what is always here is an incredibly well put together, melodic and memorable album.

To point at a single track or one or two would be missing the point here as its very consistent throughout. This is adult oriented pop music that pretty much delivers every time. The music lingers afterwards and you can feel yourself wanting to listen again. The vocal harmonies are good and the male and female counterparts are used well. If you want a good chilled pop album then you will be well pleased on hearing this.

Now is a good time to re-appreciate this album. The Mercury panel have deemed it worthy of the short-list and whilst it probably won't win it will get more airplay and that's exactly what it deserves.
on 14 April 2011
Take a mix of Serge Gainsbourg (especially track 2 - which sounds like a direct lift from Melody Nelson), MGMT, The Bee Gees, Franz Ferdinand, Japan (there's some fretless bass in there), a little early Human League and Ultravox and some melodies from the Sarah Records back catalogue. Blend. Anglicise. Play.

I got a hold of this album based on the single 'The Look' which was being played heavily on 6 Music.

The album hasn't disappointed. Great tunes and considerable variety. Will work my way through the back catalogue based on this.
on 13 June 2011
I've been looking forward to this album since Night's Out and it delivers more than I could ever have hoped. Metronomy are both wonderfully experimental while still having a finger firmly on catchy pop hooks. The album has an overall summer feel but the range of styles and sounds is amazing. They remind me of mid 80s Prince in that they can seemingly take on any genre of music, knock out a great tune, but make it still sound unmistakably like a Metronomy song and the album holds together brilliantly as a collection.

Album highlights are many, but I'd pick The Look, She Wants, The Bay, Corinne and Love Underlined as particular favourites though I don't think there's even one mediocre song on the album.

Why aren't Metronomy better known? Okay, we're only 6 months into the year but this is the best album of 2011 by a long distance. In fact I'd go as far as to say that, in my opinion, this is one of the best albums of the past 20 years. I just wish more people new about this wonderful band.
on 29 July 2011
Had someone described the sound of Metronomy I would probably have overlooked it as its not a genre of music I normally look for. However a brief appearance on BBC's 2011 Glastonbury coverage,combined with strong reviews had me curious. The sound is hard to descibe but I would say electronic disco combined with sounds of the 60's,70s and early electronic 80s. Right from the opening track - this album has you hooked from the word go, extremely creative, original and fresh - bringing together a collection various sounds from your lifetime and somehow pulling them all into one album. 'We broke free', 'Everything goes my way', 'The Look' and 'The Bay' being my personal highlights. This album is mind blowingly good and easily the best album Ive heard of 2011 - a future classic!
on 19 September 2012
Saw this band on TV and became interested in their complicated rhythms but brilliantly structured songs.'The Look' was my favourite song of the year and reminds me of the first time I heard Human League and realised that music was something other than a four minute guitar solo...nothing wrong with that, mind you.The more you listen the more you hear,both musically and lyrically.Their neaxt album will be sooo good...Be the champion of this band with your friends and make them buy it.
on 11 June 2011
Having seen them on Jools Holland's TV show and heard a few tracks off this album elsewhere I decided it was the kind of band worthy of further inspection.
The opening track is the title track and the intro reminded me of Bouvetoya's "Seashore" with its seagull and crashing waves sample, as I delved further into the album I realised that this is a remarkably mature collection of electronica based songs which always seemed to remind of a particular artists or era. Maybe that is the intention, there are a definite cross section of analogue sounds which at times reminded me of AIR and MGMT and other times Depeche Mode and Erasure.
There are one or two very unique tracks as well which I had humming on my head for days such were the attractive hooks displayed.
A great effort from a band that could get on my list of "must buys" when their next albums become available.
on 13 December 2013
My style of music so obviously I am going to say I love it, but not all as much.
Some tracks are tops others not so memorable, but excellent over all, a summer record for driving to with the top down.
on 15 April 2011
This is a superb `English' album of the sort The Streets or Tricky create rather than Blur, The Jam or The Kinks. An English album that looks beyond these musical shores to Detroit and New York, name checking Jill Scott and Tweet along the way just in case anyone doesn't quite get what's going on here. Marrying black pop and white soul to marvellous effect this electro pop masterpiece nevertheless has a strain of awkwardness and eccentricity which means things never get too sweet, even when Joseph Mount passes the vocal duties to Anna Prior and Roxanne Clifford. On a few occasions I wondered whether what I was actually listening to was, say, Denim remixed by Kevin Saunderson. Needles to say lyrically things ain't too sweet between Brixham, Paignton, Torquay and every little beach in between and I was never quite sure whether the difficult relationships that abounded on this album were about people or place. And this is an album. It's not to be chopped into little fillets by an IPOD, this is an album one turns on, and journeys and disappears into. Quite simply Joseph Mount and Metronomy have created an English classic, English rock has never sounded so good.
on 12 June 2011
Wow...this is quite a return from one man band Joseph Mount (aka Metronomy),after the spiky,entertaining live shows of last summmer comes this brilliant little masterpiece of english melancholia.

Using an electronic template with plenty of snappy,tight guitar playing this is the sound of the future,hopefully!. A lot of the modern bands who mix indie and "dance", start to let the synths and sequencers take over but Mount pulls back from this, using live bass and some clever guitar riffs.

Lyrically its all about small town england, the little island we all know so well,fustrations,love and the seaside. The English Riveria is a piece of Devon coastline where the sun almost kisses the sky, for Mount it means home and wanting to get away, "its not tokyo,its not berlin,nor london" he sings in "The Bay".

Standout tracks are the fretless bass and wonky synth mastery of "She Wants" ans the Victorian seaside synths of "The Look".

One of the best LPS of 2011 so far...
on 9 April 2014
I bought this as an Amazon recommended, after buying Midlake. I listened to the 5 sec samples and really wasn't sure what I was buying but was impressed enough to part with the cash. I'm glad I did. It's fresh, it's different. The first time I listened to it I decided I liked each and every track. The more I listen, the more I like it. I won't try and give opinions on where the tracks take you and make comparisons to other albums. I will just finish by saying I already know this album will be one of my all time favourites. Might have to buy another copy for when this one wears out!!