Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 18 March 2011
This collection of 9 short stories has something for everyone - a dad and son burglary team, a pimp, a frustrated housewife. Every story is really well-written and each brings its own charms and surprises. The stories are really varied - touching, menacing, chilling, sad, violent - but what they all have is honesty and immediacy. My favourites were SISTERHOOD with its theme of getting revenge on racists, the title story DIRTY OLD TOWN - a thoroughly nasty little tale set in a gym, and MERRY CHRISTMAS (I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT TONIGHT) a heart-warming Christmas tale of a father and son burglary team. Really good stuff. I always look forward to one of Nigel's short stories because I know I'm going to get something fresh and exciting.
on 7 September 2012
Despite the fact that this is a short collection of shorts 'Dirty Old Town' packs a hell of a punch. It's a lightweight that throws a heavyweight hook!

Whilst a lot of what goes on in these pages may be crime fiction, don't think for a second that this is all that it's about. Bird's stories go places that lesser writers simply can't manage and don't fall back on cliches. Many of these stories deal with loss in one form or another: Dirty Old Town, Drinking Wine (Spo-dee-oh-dee), Sea Minor, Taking A Line For A Walk; these stories deal with the absence of something from the characters' lives (be it love, life, future, family, you name it).

Bird has a lot of empathy and sympathy for his characters, even the bad ones, and it shines through on the page. In this sense, his work shares similarities with Donald Ray Pollock (author of the brilliant 'Knockemstiff').

There are a number of memorable stories in this collection. Nigel Bird has genuine talent and is definitely one to keep an eye on. I think I'll be reading more of his work sooner rather than later.
on 12 January 2012
I first met Nigel Bird through participating in his fun interview weblog, DANCING WITH MYSELF. I've been keeping a stack of ebooks, his accomplished short story collection DIRTY OLD TOWN (AND OTHER STORIES) included, until I finally got my Kindle. So I've been playing catch up. My favorite story here is the title one set in a gym with the boys training for Olympic gymnastic competition. Their coach Chalky Fish takes fierce umbrage at a local dope dealer for selling the boys performance enhancement drugs, the gold brand being the slickest one. "Three Little Birds" is a tale narrated by Shrek Harper, another harassed person who has finally had it. "Sea Minor" employs a sensitive child narrator off to visit his "Gran" on the island of Skye. Dark humor is found in "Merry Christmas" where the father and son thieves pull off an interesting heist. The stories are previously published ones, and it's nice to read them all assembled into a single ebook. Bravo!
on 26 April 2011
Dirty Old Town is the first thing I have read by Nigel Bird and it won't be the last. A very varied range of short stories. Nigel writes with an innate sense of believability, his characters came alive for me. Humour is ever present but this did nothing to spoil the sometimes dark nature of his tales - a rare skill. There's a little something for everybody in this collection. A cracking read start to finish.
on 5 May 2011
Dirty Old Town is a terrific collection of stories - in turns sad, funny, poignant, violent and chilling. My favourites are Sea Minor, Taking a Line for a Walk, and Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight). Having said that, each one of these stories is an absolute pleasure to read and will stay with you long after you've finished. This collection is highly recommended. Nigel Bird is a writer to watch.
on 12 May 2012
What I like about Nigel Bird's stories is twofold. First, how they are told - they're conversational; like verbal storytelling captured on the page. As a result, they're very engaging. Second, the humanity in the penning of characters. Bird doesn't judge his characters - they are who they are: real people living ordinary lives, dealing with the crises that disrupt their hopes and ambitions. Each story is short and sweet, most with a nice wicked twist at the end. The blurb accompanying the collection says that the stories will stay with you for a while. A couple of them have certainly been rattling round my head for a few days. I did have one complaint, however - I wanted more of them! A nice collection and a taster of Bird's storytelling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 July 2012
This is a very well-written book of short stories. I am enjoying shorts more and more since I bought my kindle. I would never previously have bought them or taken them out of the library. These stories are not only different in genre but in 'voice' - 'Sea Minor' is a haunting little tale told very convincingly in a child's voice (and is possibly my favourite). One or two are told in a vernacular style and some are third person narrations. All are successful examples of their genre and many give considerable food for thought.

It is rare that one reads a book of short stories and doesn't feel that a couple are make-weights and not up to standard. These are very good indeed.
on 6 November 2011
One of the best examples of new British crime, each of these stories envelops you in a complete world. The writing is very strong, with characters and places brought to life with a subtle twist of words. The nine stories are dark and twisted, wicked, dirty little tales, yet not without sympathy for those who deserve it.

Overall: a great collection of stories, well worth the cover price by anyone's estimation.
on 16 December 2012
Choose this as kindle recommended it, first time I've read Nigel Bird, this didn't grip me but you might like it.
on 7 August 2012
You Did a Bad ThingBeing a fan of short fiction I look for authors I haven't tried before. Dirty Old Town seemed interesting, it wasn't just interesting, it was excellent. Loved the quirky nature of each story, each being quite different. No question I am now a fan of Nigel Bird.