4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read
Thanks Amazon Kindle, another inexpensive introduction. Likeable characters, an uncomplicated plot at a gentle pace with just enough light humour. Have bought three more Jake and Gary adventures for holiday reading.
Published on 11 May 2012 by stillarobin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, but not a bad book either
Published 20 months ago by daftcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny Surroundings, 9 April 2012
I enjoyed this book very much. The characters were very likeable, and the story well-plotted. Some of the dialogue and situations made me laugh out loud. The story flagged slightly, but I think this was scene-building which will pay off in later books.

I will be buying more by this author, once I've reduced my 'to read' pile on my Kindle!

1.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't get into this book at all., 9 May 2014
I've tried to read this book twice now and find the characters difficult (Jake always telling himself to 'be agressive') and his sidekick photographer, Gary, silly beyond belief. As it starts, Gary,who is way too old for his job (held for 45 years) passes out when he almost strangles himself with his camera straps when going to see an elderly lady with a story to tell Jake. He wasn't even invited except that Jake is too weak to tell him he isn't needed.
The old soul -bent almost double - helps revive him before telling a convoluted story about being barred from the bridge club and having odd phone calls and messages. It was all too weird and I didn't like the main characters at all, so I gave up -twice . Others may enjoy the antics of this odd couple -reporter and photographer -but I didn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 4 Jan 2013
Kept my attention right to the end. Already read another and enjoyed that too. Looking forward to the next book

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, but not a bad book either, 15 Dec 2012
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, however it really flagged about 3/4 of the way through. The characters were well developed and the plot well set up, however (to me) after a while it seemed to drag a bit and I really stopped caring about all but Charlotte. I've put the book down now and am hoping that when I come back to it, I may be re-enthused as it holds the possibility of a really good plot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recomended, 24 Oct 2011
This book is now filed in my not read section.I didn't like the main character and found the book too slow a start.I very rarely leave a book unfinished but am afraid this was one.