5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely romantic read with some brilliant twists
Published on 30 Jan 2011 by Lally

3.0 out of 5 stars An average chick lit read
*Spoiler alert* so do not read further if you don't want to know!
Published 19 months ago by Chick Lit Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely romantic read with some brilliant twists, 30 Jan 2011
This novel starts as it means to go on, with a great opening sentence (You know you're in for a bad day when the Devil eats your last HobNob)spoken by the heroine, Jemima. A witty, charismatic character who has a big secret which she doesn't want to share, Jemima meets her match in former rock musician Ben, who has a secret of his own. Who will admit the attraction first - Ben or Jemima? I was kept on tenterhooks as I waited to find out.

I can't discuss the developing story line of this novel without giving far too much away. But I will say this - when Ben finally opens up to Jemima, it's one of those of-course-why-didn't-I-notice-that-ages-ago moments, and I was really impressed. The clues and hints are all there, but they are so cleverly hidden that the reader (or this reader, anyway) didn't spot them.

The characters are great. They're all brilliantly realised and well-rounded, and I cared about them all. Well, apart from the villainess Saskia, whom I wanted to slap! Single mother Rosie and her baby son Harry are lovely. Landlord, disgustingly successful artist and sex god (he wishes) Jason is lots of fun. The hero Ben is sweet, vulnerable, totally gorgeous (ooh those tight jeans) and also completely believable. Since the story is narrated in the first person by Jemima, it is easy to identify with this heroine, and to want everything to come right for her in the end.

This story exemplifies the fact that when you fall in love you hand the beloved a loaded gun. Over the course of the story, Jemima and Ben learn to be brave enough to trust, and they're rewarded for it in the end. If you enjoy romantic fiction full of slightly risque but hilarious humour, clever plotting and characters who will live on in your mind, this story is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing, 12 Aug 2011
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed at all.
The author describes it as a dark, psychological romance with jokes which is exactly as I found it to be and more. I found myself unable to put it down until I had finished reading it and the characters stayed with me for quite a while afterwards.
I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a story that is more complex than the average romance with more than the requisite amount of twists and turns.
I am sooo looking forward to getting my hands on the next offering from Miss. Lovering, 'Starstruck' I can't wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars An average chick lit read, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Please Don't Stop The Music (Choc Lit) (Yorkshire Romance Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
*Spoiler alert* so do not read further if you don't want to know!
I found it hard to bond with the male romantic lead, Ben, who was apparently stone deaf. And yet this bombshell secret wasn't discovered for ages. I once met a husband and wife who were both stone deaf. Trying to understand them when they spoke was a challenge - loads of slurring as if they were majorly drunk - so for me personally, Ben's total deafness wasn't believable. I was intrigued about Jemima and felt sorry for her until she ducked out on Ben and ran off to Scotland. At that point I thoroughly disliked her and felt as though the whole 'running away from self' thing had gone on a bit too long.
Overall a reasonably entertaining read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 6 May 2013
This was a book which i had downloaded since I got the kindle and two years later thought I better read it....boy I was glad I did!!!! Really enjoyed this book, we start of meeting the main characters Jemima, Rosie and baby Harry along with Jason and the evil Saskia.
This book, without giving away the storyline has some good twists, a couple which I sort of guessed along the way and a couple which took me by surprise. It was one of those books, whcih I didnt rush to pick up, but I was sat down woudl automatically pick up and read a good couple of chapters however towards the end, just didnt want to put this book down.
I feel that we get to know Jemima, and Ben ( the main guy in the book ) and that you want to see how the relationship is going to go however there are parts where you just want to shout and shake them to try and knock some sense into them. Aslo we go into Ben's past as this is a main part of the storyline, and we dabble into Jemima past, but again this is also one of the twist ( one of the ones I sort of guessed ).

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to put it down...but the kids had to be fed!, 1 Feb 2011
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
Meet Jemima Hutton - Self employed belt buckle designer who lodges with her friend Rosie and Rosie's young baby Harry.
Whilst searching the streets of York for stockists for her belt buckles Jemima meets Ben Davies - One time Indie Rock Star who now hides in his little out of the way guitar shop.

Add Jason, the resident artist, Saskia, business owner (what is her hold over Jem and Rosie?) and hubby Alex and you have a mix of lovable characters all with their own secrets. Some deeper than others.

Ben and Jemima build up a friendship but are they really who they appear to be?

Both want to get closer and delve deeper into each other's past but that would mean sharing their secret. Dare they open up?

I enjoyed the way each character's story unfolded around a series of events that forced the characters to confront their pasts and, eventually, reveal their secrets.

This Rom-com is a real page-turner littered with funny one-liners. The clues are there, but not too obvious, making it a gripping read.

I didn't want to put it down...but the children had to be fed!

Look forward to more from this author.
I received a copy of this novel, from the publisher, for review

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Stop the Music, 21 Mar 2011
This is not the normal genre I read but having won a copy in a competition and being a music lover I thought I'd better read it. Am I so glad I did. It's brilliant. One of the best reads I've had in a long long while. The characters are plausible, likeable with one exception (but she's meant to be horrible!) with such a rapport between them you really feel you are there in the room with them. The twist in the plot came as a total surprise. Too often it's so obvious what is coming next. It certainly wasn't in this one. As for the humour and observation from life and babies, I was hooked from the first page. There's not many books I actually finish, this one left me hungry for more and I will certainly be reading more of Jane Lovering's books if this one is anything to go by. A lovely writer, a lovely story. Thank you Jane.
Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars More like a 3.5 star for me!!, 8 April 2014
This book started off brilliantly, it had some interesting characters and storyline. You were left anticipating for quite a while as to what underlying issues Ben and Jem had. The problem i had was after Jem found out more about Ben and helped him overcome his demons all of a sudden he was fine and she reverted back into her old ways, it just seemed too much of a turnaround and i lost the connection between the characters. I liked the writing, but for me felt the last few chapters of the book felt rushed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but a bit unbelievable!, 28 April 2013
Although I enjoyed this story I did find it quite unbelievable in places and you certainly need a good imagination! Enjoyable enough as a not too serious chick lit and easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit heavy, 9 May 2013
The romantic storyline had plenty of twists and turns. At times did seem a bit depressing but suppose that added to the charm. Not really a chick lit. Was ok for free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Angst and constant agonising, 20 Jan 2012
I usually enjoy a bit of heartache and misunderstanding before the happy ever afters in Chick-lit, but the agony in this just seemed to go on and on. I won't go over the storyline as other reviewers have done that, suffice it to say that if the characters had just talked sensibly to each other as friends instead of running away the book would only have been half as long. Many of the characters were "chick-lit cliches" - I think there were six - if you read it see how many you recognise.