4.0 out of 5 stars Do your home work first and you'll be pleasantly surprised!
The Nikon P500 is the ideal camera for holidays or no frills photography although it allows for some sort of creativity. Very compact and lightweight, the menu is clear and easy to navigate. Nikon's lens quality is present as usual and, depending on settings used, delivers colourful, crisp and almost distortion free photos.
A lot of people will be buying the camera...
Published on 24 April 2011 by Rover Ham

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly flawed camera
This camera suffers from several drawbacks, in particular relatively poor definition. MUCH worse than this, it suffers from an inexcusable battery drain glitch. Frequently the camera battery will drain to zero when the camera is turned off, even if the battery was fully charged only minutes before. So often you reach for your P500 to take a picture, only to discover that...
Published on 5 Mar. 2013 by Patrick

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon p500, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P500 Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 36x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
All I can say is buy it you will love it dose what it says very easy to use op camera

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Not Convinced., 23 July 2012
I've had this for a few months now and I'm less than overwhelmed by it.

I've had a couple of times when it's refused to do anything and I've had to take the battery out and "re-boot" it.

The lens cap is a pain and the inability to fit a filter is a bit of a shocker. Yes it's smaller than most bridge cameras but it's spare batteries and non too solid feel make it need a case.

Picture quality is OK but nothing special and in telephoto mode focusing is slow and unreliable. Battery life isn't great but I had a couple of spares and a charger from a previous Coolpix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Nov. 2014
Well pleased with this camera, it does all we need and has a cracking zoom.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither fish nor fowl, 2 May 2011
Mike Wade (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a Nikon user for over forty years with great satisfaction. These days I mostly use a D300S, an armoured D200 for wildlife and an infra-red converted D50 for effects. And for light duties a P7000 is always on hand.
With a week on the Norfolk Broads coming up I was tempted by the P500 - big zoom meant no more fiddling with interchangeable lenses on a boat plus potentially more creative freedom than my P7000 compact - so I bought one. Now I'll be selling one. Why? Let me count the ways:
The camera is neat but almost too lightweight, it feels plasticky and emits cheap sound effects for focus and image capture. It has a ghastly electronic viewfinder (I still prefer a viewfinder to a screen but hadn't expected a harsh mono square of a thing). Its focus system is dreadfully slow, particularly at telephoto lengths where it hunts and fizzes until your subject is long gone, or it has taken an out of focus shot of it, (many, many of these occurred). The images themselves, when in focus, are visibly soft in all but wide/standard lens range. The extreme extended end of the telephoto range is also useless, over and above the aforementioned softness, courtesy of uncontrollable camera wobble brought about by its lightness creating instability in the hands. (Yes, I could put it on a tripod but that defeats the point of it in the first place). And it isn't cheap, either.
Who is it made for, I can't help but wonder?
Too big for a compact, too poor in quality for a semi-pro, too expensive for a toy - you tell me. Anyway, not me is the only thing I can be sure of. So beware, buyer - much as I love my Nikons, this one's a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
one of the best on the market in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars nikon p500, 5 Aug. 2011
Mr. K. Rodgers (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent- couldn't believe all the features. The moveable screen is good, the adjusting ring in none auto modes makes shooting easy. The smile portrait setting is great for catching children. Disappointed couldn't fit a uv filter to protect the lens, otherwise no criticisms.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 July 2011
**UPDATE 05/2012** within 7 weeks of purchase the camera developed a fault - sometimes refusing to take pictures. Switch it off and on again and it'll take the shot. Unfortunately, I live abroad so couldn't return the camera. It has, at times, been unusable. Other times it's been fine. No reason for this as it's been used in hot, dry, dusty, humid, damp, freezing conditions - and I simply can't predict when it will work and when it won't. As far as I can tell - not being a camera expert - it must be a shutter problem. The video modes also seem to have issues - sometimes the camera will focus and I can use the zoom facility, other times I can't. Again, no reason for it that I can tell. It will still be under warranty when I return to the UK - just - so I'm hoping that I can get it fixed. If not, it's going in the bin as it's been a problem almost from day one!!!**

Autofocus on distant shots can take forever - so long that the subject has aged noticeably, wandered off and died!!

The camera wobble at telephoto range is awful. Really awful. Even with the image stabiliser on - so I've got a lot of wasted shots which would not have been wasted with my old Nikon D70s. A tripod is definitely needed - a waste with what is effectively a 'point'n'shoot' camera.

The fireworks mode is brilliant, and night-time mode also seems to work quite well.

The extreme end of the telephoto seems to work well under very bright conditions but is really poor with anything else.

Autofocus couldn't work at all in wet and steamy conditions (rained-out festival).

This camera is really an expensive toy for someone who doesn't know too much about cameras and wants to play, without the hassle of changing lenses etc. It's really flimsy and feels poorly made. I fully expect that the battery compartment door latch will break in no time.

Battery takes 4-5 hours to charge and doesn't last long if using the display rather than the viewfinder.

One very good point - the display can be tilted horizontally down and up so you don't need to be in awkward positions to see what shots you want.

Also, with numerous video record modes including slow motion, you can take stills whilst recording, or after from the recording. There are photo and video editing facilties on the camera though I haven't checked them out yet.

Overall I think it's cheaply made and too light for the length of the zoom lens, though it's not an unreasonable price when compared to point and shoot cameras of similar spec.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 4 Jan. 2012
I am very Happy with this camera even though we still have not mastered all its functions since we are beginners. I recommend it to anyone wanting to start his way towards SLR Photography, the P500 being the bridge between normal snap and shoot cameras and SLRs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Mar. 2015
terrific

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Oct. 2011
I ordered this camera yesterday and already have it in my hands! I am very impressed with the service. The camera was listed as used.....it would easily pass as brand new. I am still getting to grips with the camera but all seems well at present. Great seller, a credit to Amazon. I am one very very happy buyer (and my bank isn't worse for wear either!).

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›