5.0 out of 5 stars Great turntable!!
Published on 26 Jun. 2013 by Robin Ashwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak cue lever, unfortunately.
While it worked, I liked this turntable very much. I had basically no problems with it at all. For a month and a half. I am now returning it as the cue lever broke yesterday. It didn't break off. It just stopped working.
Published 18 months ago by Aaron76

5.0 out of 5 stars Great turntable!!, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: TDK Life On Record USB Powered Vinyl Turntable with UK Mains Plug - Black (Electronics)
In 1990 I sold my entire record collection for £50 to fund the purchase of a new bass guitar amp, one of the few things I can honestly say I've always regretted doing. So I was delighted when my mother in law came back from an antiques auction recently with a huge box of records she had bought for £10, including many of the works of ELP, Pink Floyd,Yes, Genesis, etc etc. This meant I had to get a turntable...

I had already looked in some depth at various "budget" turntables around the £230 mark with serious audiophile aspirations by the likes of Rega and Project etc, but had 2 main issues with these. Firstly they require a separate phono stage pre-amp and secondly the speed can only be switched from 33RPM to 45RPM by manually adjusting the drivebelt (not a problem for me, but fiddly for others). In addition to these and without wanting to sound shallow, the Project and Rega turntables just look to me like a piece of painted MDF, being very functional in appearance.

I therefore decided to purchase the TDK model on the basis it includes an integrated phono stage pre-amp and adjustable speed. What Hi-Fi also rated it 4 stars i.e. I nvisaged it would only be marginally inferior to the Rega and Project models in terms of sonic performance.

I was absolutely delighted upon taking delivery of the turntable, which is beautifully packaged. I personally tend to find that the design of the packaging is usually a good indicator of the quality of the product itself and was not disappointed! The turntable is satisfyingly weighty with a dark grey brushed aluminium surround, piano gloss black turntable platrform and silver controls and stylus arm. The design is 70's retro in some respects (faux black leather cover with white stitching) and 80's horror in others (the pulsating LED sound meter which is completely unecessary in my opinion). Very solidly built and easy to set up. Its overall appearance compliments my system very well (Marantz unit with DALI speakers) and it does not look at all out of place.

Importantly, the sound! I favour a fairly flat EQ setting with just a tiny amount of bass and treble boost. The clarity and definition of PInk Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is incredible and the production quality can really be appreciated. Heaven 17's "The Luxury Gap" is also reproduced in fantastic clarity. I was blown away by the audible detail that is so obviously lacking in compressed digital audio formats! I admit the bass does not have quite as much "weight and authority", to quote What HiFI, as I would have really liked but being reasonable I think that is just being a bit picky at this price point! Let's face it, you can always turn the bass up... or spend £12K on a proper turntable!!

What also really impressed me is that there is a switch at the rear to bypass the integrated phono stage pre-amp, should I ever decide to upgrade and purchase a separate pre-amp.

I have not tried the USB record facility and am unlikely to in all honesty. The included software is not compatible with Mac. TDK recommend Audacity as a compatible audio recording interface for Mac users. I do use audacity regularly and it is a fine piece of software which is easy to use so the lack of Microsoft compatibility should not put anyone off.

In summary, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantistic turntable., 26 Sept. 2013
Just bought the TDK turntable and the TDK 3 speaker boombox. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination and spent ages looking at a lot of turntables but finally decided on this and boy am I glad I did. The build is beautiful, and so easy to set up. TDK spent a lot of time on the construction of this turntable, OK it my not be in the class of the top range turntables at thousands of pounds but remembering what I had in my youth this is a million dollars! The boss is booming out of the boombox as I write and sounds great. Like the turntable this boombox is 21st century. Beautiful black finish and easy to use controls.For those who say it is too loud it is only as loud as you want, volume control works well and I can set it to a whisper if I want to fall asleep with it on. Best piece of kit I ever bought, now I can really add to my record vinyl collection. I would give both these items 10/10. I highly recommend them both, go on treat yourself life is too short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very nice product, 18 Aug. 2012
Very stylish product, easy installation and perfect sound! Looks great, works excellent and good value for money. I strongly reccomend this TDKusb turntable

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound Quality For The Money, 5 July 2013
For the last 20 years I have been using a Systemdek IIX with a moth arm fitted with a Goldring G800 cartridge, a top turntable combination in its day. Comparing the two turntables I cant really hear any difference between them. To me the TDK wins hands down on style, ease of use and value for money. The only negative issue I have had with the TDK is that the first deck supplied had an intermittent fault with the motor which sometimes refused to turn. The replacement sent by Amazon is fine, Amazon refunded the full cost of returning the faulty turntable which was expensive from Cyprus. Well done TDK & Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak cue lever, unfortunately., 31 Dec. 2013
Now, I know someone out there will think this is down to rough treatment, but there's really no reason why anyone would be rough with this little lever at all. Use excessive force lifting your tone arm, it will bounce up too quickly. Do the same in the other direction and the stylus will hit your record incorrectly, possibly harming your vinyl and your needle.
I really didn't want to return this as I was enjoying collecting records again. As far as I know, it's not a good idea to lower/raise your tone arm by hand. So back it goes.
I guess I'll just have to save up for something that is sturdier. This thing certainly feels sturdy and it is heavy, but in my experience it just wasn't up to the job. Pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 3 May 2013
Mr. J.McMullan (Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I decided to start listening to vinyl again and researched quite a bit before buying. This turntable looks beautiful and when being used helps produce a wonderful, full sound.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Vinyl Player !, 9 Sept. 2014
Well worth the money! - for Arctic Monkey fans, this player was used on the 'Brick by Brick' video, so knowing that I just had to make the purchase. Equaliser is amazing, but can't get my head around the PC software, but then don't know when I'd ever get time to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 7 Feb. 2014
It was really well wrapped so it arrived in tact (something I was worried about). You have to assemble a few things but the instructions are very clear. Looks great, good quality sound & I actually like the little digital sound bar on the bottom right corner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and stylish, 25 Nov. 2013
Terence Scott (UK) - See all my reviews
Although the first one stopped working within minutes, there was no problem having a replacement sent and the faulty one collected. The new model arrived and there have been no problems. It is solid and is built for the job

5.0 out of 5 stars tdk life on record usb powered vinyl turntable, 22 Jan. 2014
did all I wanted it to do, platter is heavy and solid, only thing to mention about a down side is that setting up the counterweight is a little tricky.