5.0 out of 5 stars Skilfully compiled box of seventies Elvis
Published on 22 Feb 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound ... BUT!
This box set has a great selection of Elvis from the 70s and the sound is top notch to my ears, however the way the packaging is designed is really quite irritating.

The problems are:

1. Full track listing is on the back cover, but the tracks are not numbered so every time you want to play a song you have to count it's place on he cd before punching...
Published 22 months ago by Blue Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Skilfully compiled box of seventies Elvis, 22 Feb 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Walk a Mile in My Shoes (Audio CD)
You will rarely get two people to agree about the merits of the music Elvis recorded in the seventies. Even if they agree about it being patchy, they will invariably disagree about which tracks are good and which are bad. In compiling this set, a clear attempt has been made to pick out the best, but it is inevitable that you (like me) will think that some tracks should have been excluded to make may for others that were omitted. In that context, this is a brilliant compilation.
The first two CD's are filled with hit singles based on both British and American charts. This explains the inclusion of Green green grass of home, a minor British hit. The compilers didn't have to decide what to include - the public had decided on these tracks in the seventies via their purchases. Tracks that had been recorded in the sixties are to be found on the equivalent sixties boxed set. Even if it was the seventies when they became hits, you won't find them here. So these two CD's include all the seventies hits that Elvis actually recorded in the seventies, most notably The wonder of you, Its only love, Burning love, Always on my mind, Promised land, Trouble, Moody blue and Way down.
The third and fourth CD's include studio highlights, while the final CD contains live highlights. It is the selection of songs here that is subjective, but I enjoy everything that has been included. There are tracks I would have liked included that weren't, but I solved that problem by buying CD's that had those tracks on. And therein lies the strength of this set - you get all the hits and a lot of other great music, but you don't have to buy all the rubbish to get them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great and Good of Elvis in the 70's, 20 Aug 2002
This review is from: Walk a Mile in My Shoes (Audio CD)
This set was given to me by a friend, who tried to convince that Elvis still counted as a singer long after "suspicious minds". He has succeeded. Thoug I am not an avid Elvis Fan (unlike my friend) this 5 cd set surprised me positively time and time again.
First, its show the wide array of songs Elvis could sing. Country, gospel pop and rock it's all there. Many of the songs are highlights of the 70's studio albums and great in their own right as the show Elvis on top of his singing. Unlike Sinatra, singing came natural to Elvis & he proves he can cover any ground blindfolded and running. A great voice, well recorded.
Some of the songs lyrics may appear non-engaging - though bearing in mind his personal tragedies (losing Priscilla and Lisa Marie) this changes somewhat and many of these songs become much more personal.
But the most stunning and the one cd I play most is the fifth CD, entirely consisting of live performances. Here Elvis rocks and is loaded with energy. The band is giving a top performance as well. This CD just shows what the world has missed since. Elvis is by no means the fat singer with a slurred voice, but a stage animal, easily beating soem of the tacky or static performances of some of greatest rock'n'roll bands of the world. A truly rocking experience - and it still impresses.
If you like Elvis, and don't want to delve deep into his records of the 70's buy this one. If you want an introduction to Elvis beyond "that's allright mama" , " king creole" and the like - this is the set.

4.0 out of 5 stars The cream of an uneven decade., 26 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This is a grat collection of Elvis's seventies recordings, the five C.D.s actually seem too short, as the energy packed performances fly by. True it is a different kind of energy to that displayed on his fiftys work, here he can sound a bit compalcent, like he doesn't even have to try, but his band is funky and well, he is Elvis, when he gets it right he sounds inspired. And this set hits all the right spots, given that his recorded seventies legacy could easily fill 15 C.Ds. If you buy this, you wont regret it (unless of course you subsequently need the money for a life saving operation), even then you'll enjoy you're last days more. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great songs, 27 July 2011
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters (Audio CD)
i bought the full size elvis 50's and 60's boxes some time ago these cost about £40 each.
i wanted the 70's box but never got round to ordering it until now.
fantastic value and still full of great songs if not my all time favourites.
i bought the slimmed down 60's last year so the 50's can't be far away.
this will probably be out in time for christmas.
you will be able to buy all three for the price of one original.
what are you waiting for!
Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70'S Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars THE KING, 9 Feb 2002
This review is from: Walk a Mile in My Shoes (Audio CD)
FROM THE WONDER OF YOU TO UNCHAINED MELODY, WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES IS AN ASTOUNDING BOX SET; HIGHLIGHTING ELVIS PRESLEY'S ASTOUNDING BODY OF MUSIC FROM 1970-77.
THE VARIETY AND DIVERSITY OF TRACKS IS BREATHTAKING, NO OTHER ARTIST, BEFORE, SINCE OR MAYBE EVER HAS BEEN SO OUTSTANDING OVER A RANGE OF MATERIAL THIS HUGE AND DIVERSE.
ELVIS PRESLEY'S VOCAL RANGE REMAINS UNRIVALLED, FROM THE ROCKIN BURNING LOVE TO THE TOWERING UNCHAINED MELODY VIA COUNTRY, SOUL, BLUES, POP, GOSPEL, BALLADS AND MORE....ELVIS IS THE GRAETEST VOCALIST OF ALL TIME, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
THIS SET IS WELL WORTH IT, TRULY A MUST HAVE, ESSENTIAL AND MOST DEFINATELY AN INDISPENSIBLE SET THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO GO BACK TO, DISCOVER, RE-DISCOVER AND BE ASTOUNDED BY THE MASTER, THE KING, THE HILLBILLY CAT, THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, THE ONE AND ONLY ELVIS PRESLEY.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 20 Oct 2011
Mark Greenley (UK) - See all my reviews
Elvis made great records in the 50's, 60's and 70,s and even today with some great re-mixs but i like Elvis live in the 70's most of all.

yes most fans will have most of these tracks already and ther are many non live tracks to show just how great his voice was on and off the stage so if you like Elvis in the 70's buy this set the sound quaity is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Star, 26 Dec 2013
Had this on repeat all Christmas. SOOOO many wonderful tracks on it.

I grew up with a dad who loved Elvis' 50s stuff and so I appreciate Milk Cow Blues Boogie, Good Rockin' Tonight, Lawdy Miss Clawdy and left home with all his original albums tucked under my arm.

But I was only 13 when Elvis died and so the songs of my early years were his 70s songs. I have a huge collection of vinyl on both 7" and album but they don't tend to come out of the boxes in the back of the wardrobe often because it's so much easier to pick tracks from a cd or load them to an MP3 player.

So it came to be that I'd forgotten some of the tracks on here and came over all emotional when I heard his "divorce" songs again. Take Good Care of Her, My Boy, Fool, Always on My Mind - they just break your heart to listen to. And how rich and powerful his voice sounds on tracks like Hurt, It's Only Love, Just Pretend. Bridge Over Troubled Water I had to put on repeat...

And all my favourite tracks from That's the Way it Is are on here - I'm in love all over again. They even seem to have toned down some of the awful backing vocals which, for me, didn't sound good at the time and have aged even worse.

The number of tracks you get on here make it enormous value for money - even if you only love half of them. And they sound so great.

I'd agree with another reviewer that the packaging itself is awful. I had to bend the cds to get them out and can't get them back in properly. Big minus for that - but I've ripped them to MP3 and will probably end up packing the box away.

Just buy it. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70'S Masters, 25 April 2011
G. Kitchen - See all my reviews
Lennon said Elvis died when he went in the army. This set suggests otherwise.

At this price just buy it.

Disc holders poor, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Concert Years, 21 Oct 2011
This Box set is a must for Elvis Fans,A new Decade From The Wonder Of You, to Always on my mind to the last concerts when his Voice was just as majestic, in the Powerful emotions of his Life. You Gave Me a Mountain Elvis climbed it He is still the King.

4.0 out of 5 stars CD's bending!, 13 Oct 2011
Mr. S. Naylor (UK) - See all my reviews
Five stars for the music. Minus one for the packaging.

Never have I had so much trouble getting a CD out of it's case. They are using a sort of spring-loaded method that I haven't seen before where you have to push the CD's from the top-edge downwards to free them. For me this was not intuitive and more importantly several of the CD's look like they are being bent by this mechanism though all play fine at the moment.

Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters
Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters by Elvis Presley (Audio CD - 2011)