4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Clash and dub music fans alike, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Clashification Of Dub (Audio CD)
This album was a bit of a chance discovery for me and I have to say I have been hooked ever since I got it. Dub Spencer & Trance Hill are a group of Swiss reggae musicians who have put together this superb collection of Clash cover versions done in a dub style. I am a huge Clash fan and also a big dub enthusiast so I was very curious to hear how these songs would translate into dub versions. Some of The Clash originals lend themselves to the dub/reggae sound with ease, such as "Bankrobber" and "Guns Of Brixton", however some other titles have required a bit more imagination in the arrangement. "Lost In The Supermarket" has an almost other-worldly quality with spaced out guitars awash with cosmic effects over a slow groove. "This Is England" has a superb tight reggae feel with some great drumming and a solid bassline and lots of wonderful dub effects. "Armagideon Time" has a lovely vintage quality about it with drums hits heavily soaked in tape delay and spring reverb as the infectious groove bobs along. "Bankrobber" is another great rendition and shifts from a slow smokey dub groove to an upbeat pacey reggae number. "Rock The Casbah" is one of the more imaginative arrangements and is one of the stand out tracks on the album. All in all this is a really good fun album that rises about the novelty of its concept and showcases some really great musicianship, with a great balance of simple-but-effective dub versions and intriguing re-inventions of The Clash originals. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars the clash, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Clashification Of Dub (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album. A must for all clash fans and fans of dub reggae, so good I'm going to get all their other albums

4.0 out of 5 stars Some tracks are beter than others., 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Clashification Of Dub (Audio CD)
Some tracks lend themselves to dub beter than others. I'll leave to decied what ones you like. best listen to the samples first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a chance on this and was not disappointed, 30 Mar 2012
Sara Harris (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clashification Of Dub (Audio CD)
I'm a bit of a rock fan really but having a secret Dub Syndicate collection, this was one of those late night impulse buys after a couple of beers. It was also against the judgement of my other half. However, it is one of the best music impulse buys I have ever made.

It's not Dub Syndicate style. And it isn't just a load of Clash tunes done in a dub style. It is a whole new interpretation of The Clash's work which the artists make their own and is really quite original. Track one is my favourite (I'm no good with song names - sorry); there's something about track one that captures an essence of the 70s/80s turn of the decade that I can't put my finger on. That might just be me.

A lot of the tunes are quite slow and chilled. It's not really a dancing album! But I would say overall this is a great, slightly quirky, chill album and not only am I extremely glad I took a chance on it, my other half has well and truly eaten his hat and loves it too. Nice one Dub Spencer and Trance Hill, whoever and wherever you may be!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Clashification Of Dub (Audio CD)
this is a top cd, clash fan or not very very good .was not to sure about it but you will love it, it will keep you happy waiting for the clash box set to come out in sep 2013 then all clash fans will be happy

The Clashification Of Dub
The Clashification Of Dub by Spencer & Hill (Audio CD - 2011)