Format: DVD|Change

on 2 January 2012
Television is only allowed to be this trashy if it's also entertaining - and this fell well short of the mark.

The first series of The Only Way Is Essex is filled with moronic chit-chat about plastic surgery, Page 3 and integrated with shots of intimate hair removal and sequins.

There would certainly be some comfort in believing that the cast are all actors, told to look the way they do and say the things they say, because then we wouldn't have to face the reality that people like this really do exist.

However, not even the worst scriptwriter in the world could dream up the drivel these halfwits come out with, so unfortunately we have to conclude that the cast comprises real people.

The programme as a whole has the air of being the result of a deeply regretful one-night stand between Hollyoaks and The Hills. I like trashy TV as much as the next person, but this really is a new low. An insult to viewer intelligence and more importantly, an insult to Essex.
on 28 May 2011
I thought this was a comedy programme, it took a lot to convince me that this is supposed to be 'real life'.It isn't-not really- this is so obviously scripted and set up.I love 'Footballer's Wives', sadly no longer on telly, and I thought this would be a perfect substitute for a wet afternoon's viewing.
The immortal Tanya Turner,Conrad Gates,Chardonnay et al could run rings around this lot of noveau riche,pretentious,talentless thick bimbos and beefcake.
My favourite is sweet shallow Amy.Is she really as dumb as all that:"I don't know who Guy Fawkes is.Is he American?","I thought the capital of India was Pakistan, is it France?". Bless.She is probably a PHD in Neolithic History.She certainly has a prehistoric taste in men.
Lauren irritates me, she should take her own advice and 'get a life'.She should finally ditch narcissistic Mark instead of behaving like an avenging harpy and making everyone's life a misery (including mine, who has to watch her pouting and whining)and making herself look a fool.Sam is just a minx,playing people off against each other.
I like Nanny Pat who turns up at the moments of despair with a tray of hot dinner and a word or three of homespun philosophy.
It says a lot for the state of Britain today if this lot of dumbos are the new media heroes of the ipod generation. We truly get the heroes we deserve!
Having said all this, I enjoyed this farrago of nonsense immensely.More please!
on 6 June 2011
I am a 50 something year old mum to a daughter of 18. It was she who initially watched this series, now I must confess I am hooked. It is not purile, as some would suggest, and is indeed more watchable than some of the other soaps on tv which I could mention. I have to say that this is the only soap I watch (honestly) and I find it compelling viewing. I am so glad it won a Bafta award, it deserves to. The actors and actresses look glam, I know, but at least they care about their appearance which is more than I can say about most 20 something year olds I see around today. Good for the Essex guys and gals. In fact the girls on the show are stunning and attractive. Excellent DVD, worth the money if you are looking for something to truly entertain you.
on 20 June 2011
I liked this dvd, but quickly gave it away after watching it, as its not really something you could watch again and again.
very staged at most times, and i felt sorry for lucy being in the middle. Marks a player, annoyingly hes a guy who thinks he can get away with it and does. lydia can do better than arg. like nanny pat. will watch next series on repeat tv
on 5 May 2011
You either like this kind of thing or you don't! Although I feel that the best show of this type (Jersey Shore, Laguna Beach, The Hills ...) was the very first 'Real World' series, this is definitely one of the better newer ones. Of course, it is ridiculous at times, of course, much of it is staged, but it is FUN!
My biggest surprise was Amy. One of the fakest looking women I have ever seen, yet she turns out to be modest, charming, delightful and nowhere near as dense as she likes to pretend. She doesn't take herself too seriously and is utterly enchanting.
The guys are slimy and nowhere near as appealing as they seem to think. Girls: why do you let men (boys?) like this treat you like dirt?
on 11 April 2012
Great fun, a total insight into a lifestyle we had no idea existed. You will fall in love with all the characters, worth a look for any fan of "reality" tv!!!!
on 8 August 2011
It's one of those programmes that you don't want to admit you watch, but once you do you get hooked. Its' additive tv and I cant wait for series 3.
on 11 November 2011
Dvd is perfect, again fairly priced! and very speedy delievery!
Very well packed too.
Will buy from you again when i need a dvd
on 6 February 2013
Its funny too see who's still in it from the start, and who got dropped after the first episode. All trying soo hard haha
on 4 May 2011
Personally i think this program is well worth the watch, it maybe be a woman's kind, but i started to watch it with my partner and i enjoyed it. loving the episodes so far, cant wait for them to bring out season 2 :D