4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing really after a long wait for 3rd album
Published on 6 April 2011 by Free Spirit

2.0 out of 5 stars Iain - Ipswich
Sorry guys. First two albums were superb and there's probably not a better live good-time indie band out there. However, this is a very weak album with only two or three decent tracks on it. I did tell the missus it was a waste of money buying it, but would she listen ?!!
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Iain - Ipswich

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing really after a long wait for 3rd album, 6 April 2011
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Up, Guards And At 'Em! (Audio CD)
My husband got me into the Pigeon Detectives and I love their indie rock sound, the rawness of the music, accents coming through, singing with a passion. I was really impressed with their on stage performance, Matts energy is amazing, jumping around the stage delivering song after song with energy and passion so I was really looking forward to the release of this album.

I am disappointed though. Considering Matts claim as to why they chose the title "Up Guards and At Em" was a rallying call to all indie/guitar bands, I felt that the album just didn't live up to the title or the sentiments behind the title.

Their first two albums are raw, you can hear the instruments they are amazing but this one is obviously produced in a studio and it shows with the use of synthesised voice overs etc.

Don't get me wrong, its a good album, I like it alot and have enjoyed listening to it.... its just that it doesnt live up to the previous two.

I would have given the album a 3 star rating but the saving grace was the fact that I heard some of the tracks off the new album being played live and when played live, they come over alot better than on album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 July 2014
good album . quick delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same - Fantastic Album, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Up, Guards And At 'Em! (Audio CD)
Absolutely loved the first two Pigeon Detectives' albums and this one is no disappointment. Solid from start to finish (as were the first two). If you liked 1 & 2 look no further. Great band live too if the opportunity presents itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars good modern love songs by one of the best indie pop outfits around, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Up, Guards And At 'Em! (Audio CD)
Opens with a sort of electronica to 'She Wants Me' & doesn't really suit their style but then by the minute mark develops into a fine indie piece...the gal is wanting to get rid of the guy (in this case lead singer Matt Bowman "She wants me out of the way"..."but I'm boxed in a corner & I can't get out of here"). Next 'Lost' one of the best extends the predicament as now here he is lost though he doesn't admit it "you don't know what it's doing to me"..."No I was never lost I just got out of here". Great guitar bits. Then a star track 'What Can I Say'. Really beautiful with some fine melodic guitar pieces. Then singer Matt is asking himself more questions on 'Need To Know This' "Well I know they're your friends but I can't speak to them" which is followed by probably the star number here 'Done In Secret' "But you can find out if you come around" and is a supercharged affair plus a catchy chorus. 'What You Gonna Do' though shows a certain sameness & is filler material. The gentle positive 'Turn Out The Lights' (OK now she can stay) and 'Through The Door' ("I wanna dance with you but my hands are on fire") again captures the mood & there is nothing wrong with these two. 'Go At It Completely' more filler & another frustration for our singer. Final 'I Don't Know You' is my least fave here. After doing the review checked out the media reviews & ratings & was quite sorry for the band because the album received a heap of criticism not really merited in my opinion...lesser acts would probably have given up. The album is short on time, the cover & booklet are nothing special plus with 3 filler tracks & even with seven highs then doesn't quite get my top marks. In summary they do create some good modern love songs & are one of the best indie pop outfits around at this moment carrying on the fine older tradition of 90s bands like Shed Seven, Cast, Bluetones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Iain - Ipswich, 29 Jun 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars The Pigeon Detectives CD three, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Up, Guards And At 'Em! (Audio CD)
I am an avid fan of this guitar band, this new album is growing on me the more I play it. Through the door is one of my favourites, followed by Lost and Done in Secret. I think they are trying to progress, personally there isn't a really bad track on the album. Having bought other music in the past, and then not playing it as much as this CD must be a plus for me anyway.

Up, Guards And At 'Em!
Up, Guards And At 'Em! by The Pigeon Detectives (Audio CD - 2011)