5.0 out of 5 stars fantasic family fun
Just watched this film with my 5 and 3 year old boys. They were captivated from the start. An amazing, funny and fantasic film.
Lots of adult humour and the addition of Elton John songs is great. It is most definately the best animated film i have watched recently. Well worth a watch for all the family.
Published on 7 May 2011 by nsanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak in comparison to the competition
With two children under five I get to watch (almost) every new children's animated film that gets released. This one for me and my two daughters offered little to keep us occupied for 20, let alone 90 minutes as evidenced by the constant wandering off and unnecessary toilet breaks. I found the premise unfunny, the characters under-developed, and the humour intermittent...
Published on 11 Jun. 2011 by G. Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasic family fun, 7 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A riot from start to finish, make Gnome mistake, 28 Mar. 2012
D. Krol "deano76" (bradford) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
I honestly spent every effort I had to avoid this film. I didn't like look of it, I didn't like the premise, I didn't like the trailer and I was baffled as to how well the film had done in theatres. So it was only when the film was on Lovefilm instant for free, that I bothered to watch it. And boy am I glad that I did, I haven't laughed this hard in ages. The animation is top drawer, it's no Finding Nemo or Wall -E but for what it is based around the animation fits perfectly. The premise is simple, there are 2 gardens, one done up with blue gnomes, flowers and trimmings and one with red. Both sets of gnomes detest one an other and are always plotting ways to ruin each others gardens. This is made all the more humerous when a gnome from either side (Gnomeo and Juliet) fall in love with each other sparking hilarious set ups and mis haps while trying to sneak past either gardens defences to embrace. The voice casting was perfecly done and the wit and humour is spot on. For every one gag that fails there are three that hit thier mark. Brillint stuff and proof if ever it was needed not to judge a book by its cover, naughty me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gnomeo and Juliet is #1, 16 April 2011
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say this is one of the best kids films I have seen and I have seen a lot!
The story is very loosely based on the shakespeare play 'Romeo and Juliet' and adults may get some of the little nods to it but kids will just enjoy it for what it is.
There are two gardens competing with each other in a life long feud between both the home owners and their garden ornaments, they are the reds and the blues, sworn enemies, they are never to mix.
The battle continues on and when a red(Juliet)and a blue(Gnomeo) fall in love, things are set to get even worse. Can true love end this bitter war ?
From beginning to end Gnomeo and Juliet is a thrilling adventure with plenty of 'laugh out loud moments', I can't wait for the Dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in love with this!, 28 July 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
This film boasts a fantastic cast and is even better because it is virtually all British! Some of our biggest names lend their voices to the film, and pretty much all of them are instantly recognisable when you hear their dulcet tones come across your telly. Playing the lead roles of Gnomeo and Juliet are James McAvoy and Emily Blunt. Now, I actually didn't recognise their voices not having seen them in anything else before, but I think they did a fantastic job with their roles. Both perform with gusto, delivering performances which perfectly suit their characters. McAvoy's Gnomeo is tough, butch and determined to find for the Blue Hats, yet we quickly see his softer side around Juliet, who is wonderfully voiced by Blunt. Her voice is clear, crisp and plays well against McAvoy's rougher Gnomeo.

Ashley Jensen plays Nanette the frog, who is Juliet's companion (the equivalent of Juliet's nanny in the play) throughout the film. Jensen is perfect for the role, her joyful voice capturing the frog's vivid personality and has a really playful element to it that works so well in a children's movie. Her and Blunt make a great team, and I enjoyed their scenes very much. Michael Caine is instantly recognisable as Lord Redbrick, Juliet's dad, you'll recognise that voice straight away! I love Stephen Merchant's take on Paris, Juliet's set up boyfriend by her dad. His voice is just funny without trying, and his scene where he starts to sing 'Your Song' to Juliet but is morphed into an Elton John character in Nanette's mind is simply brilliant, and very funny! Finally, I have to say Jason Statham is perfect as Tybalt, the butch Red Hat gnome always fighting to beat Gnomeo at whatever cost.

As you can see, it has a fantastic cast and they all do an excellent job. The soundtrack is something pretty good too. The film is partly made by Elton John's film company Rocket Man films, and the soundtrack is made up of his classic songs such as "Your Song", "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" as well as some new songs penned by Elton for this film. The songs are all really well done, not just placed for the sake of it, and I felt "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" was especially well used. I loved the original songs "Love Can Build A Garden" and "Hello Hello" which featured Lady Gaga, they both fitted fantastically into the films and are wonderful songs. I also have to speak about the animation which I think was really well done. It's no Disney Pixar, but I think it was great, the characters facial expressions are emotive, the action scenes well thought out and executed, especially the final scenes featuring the "Terraferminator"! It's set in a surbaban English street, in perfect English gardens and I think it just adds to the charm!

I think this is a wonderful children's film, and one I am very pleased to have seen. Yes, it's yet another retelling of a tale that has been done countless times but I really enjoyed this foray into it, seeing it through a children's eyes and without all of the sadness too! It's an emotional film, especially a scene with Featherstone the pink flamingo and a flashback to his previous life at his old house which had me welling up(!!), and of forbidden love but the comedy elements are there throughout to pick it up, and I could hear children in the cinema frequently laughing throughout the movie. Harry's a little bit taken with Juliet, and he can easily recall the plot and things which happen so I think the pace and plot is just right for children aged around 4 and over, although it will easily appeal to much older children too who will perhaps get other bits of humour younger ones tend to miss. I was really impressed by everything about this film, the animation, the voice cast, the soundtrack and the story - it all comes together to produce a fabulous movie which thoroughly entertained both Harry and I... I fully expect the DVD to make its way into our home soon enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, creative animated spin on the Bard, 23 Nov. 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
OK, lets get the negative stuff out of the way. As its detractors are
so eager to point out, this isn't as good as Toy Story, or the vast
majority of Pixar's outlet. It's not as good as Lion King, It's not as
good as Shrek. Or Wallace and Grommet. And it does weirdly
over-rely on the music of Elton John (who executive produced).

Fine. But that doesn't mean it can't be a cute, enjoyable, witty spin
on Romeo and Juliet, with two backyards full of garden gnomes (and
other garden features like frog fountains) at war with each other, and
star-crossed lovers from each side falling in love in spite of it all.

And who can dislike the voice cast;? James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael
Caine, Maggie Smith - some of Britain's very best bring great character and
comedy to their parts, as do, in their own weird way Ozzy Osborne and
Hulk Hogan in cameo roles (For that matter who could resist any film
that brought such a surreal bunch of voices together?).

Yes, this isn't an all-time classic. But I think we've gotten so
spoiled by being in a golden age of cartoon features that it's too easy
to dismiss a good solid, fun effort like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film for little ones, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
Great film for little ones my 2 who are not even 2 and 4 years old are fascinated by it. Got little jokes in it for the adults as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a watch, 11 Feb. 2012
having bought this as a cheap 3d movie i was dissapointed to find i had real trouble getting it to play in 3d when it did work after endless tries it did not add to the film to much as it is a very enjoyable film the whole family will love the 3d effects are ok but dont be expecting it to blow your mind as some others have

5.0 out of 5 stars gnome and juliet, 18 Nov. 2011
great film fun to watch my daughter loved it who is 2 and so did her brother
who is 10
quick delivery, packed well

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film, 4 July 2011
To start with i will say that although this is a brilliant film it does not have quite the same charm as other disney films that have you watching them over and over again without growing bored.

Now, i bought this film mainly for the 3d as i have just got set up with a 3d tv and 3d blu ray player. I have to say that the 3d is actually really good. There are not loads of the 'pop-out' fun effects, which i have to admit i love! But, there is a constant depth to the film (Although not quite as deep as other releases i.e. Tangled)which is really impressive and really turns your tv into a window, allowing you to look into the gardens where the film is set.

The movie has its funny moments, the story is a very light hearted take on the original Romeo and Juliet, and the music is great.

Overall i would recommend this film, but would not say it is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Children & Adults Alike!, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] (DVD)
Went to see this at the cinema when it first came out with a seven and four year old (and a not so enthusiastic father) as a family treat. The animation was excellent and the story had both children captivated from start to finish. As parents we cannot deny how much we enjoyed it ourselves - especially the subtle adult humour which popped up now and again - subtle enough, I have to add, so that neither child noticed and asked us to explain! Even the fact that the music throughout was provided by Elton John didn't hinder our enjoyment of a very enjoyable film (not being HUGE Elton John fans)...I have to say, the songs worked!!

Would definitely recommend that this is one to keep in the collection to bring out time and time again - a perfect way to entertain the family and brighten up their day. Will be purchasing DVD on its release.

Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD]
Gnomeo & Juliet [DVD] by James McAvoy (DVD - 2011)