5.0 out of 5 stars On top form!
I love their new album, it is a real mixture of their first and second albums - which were both very different sounding. Hurricane is possibly my favourite track, but I could listen to the whole album all the way through without pressing the little "skip" button on my ipod... which is quite something for me!
Published on 27 May 2011 by Abbie

2.0 out of 5 stars Wow...fail...
Vices and Virtues is not an album that I can say I enjoy. I would love to sit here and say it's exactly what I wanted. This is very much the sequel to their 2006 debut; A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. But where Fever was filled to the brim with subtle irony and emotionally charged undertones about alcoholic parents, adultery and pop culture references. This is about young...
Published on 7 Feb 2012 by Thomas Willoughby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars On top form!, 27 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Panic! are back, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (Audio CD)
I was so excited to get this album in the post, though it took all week to come.
On arrival I was excited also to see the origional Panic! style returning, it is clear from just the album art work that they are back on track.
First listen, starting with the already familiar Mona Lisa and moving into what are sure to be the next singles, it was good to hear Brendan Uries warm vocals and some great music - though not completly back to the first album it seemed.
A couple more listens and I'm sold, taking so great musical talent from the first album, a dash from the second and bringing an all new sound.
It's not like the first album as everyone says, it's not better but it is great and it is Panic! doing what they do right.
A couple of tracks I had to warm to moreso than others, like the varied notes of 'Always' and the choir of 'Nearly Witches' - though i'm sure as with any album these will probably become my favourites.
A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic return to form for P@TD!, 7 Jun 2011
M. Kelvin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (Audio CD)
After the travesty that was "Pretty Odd", and the departure of half the band, I thought Panic were done for. I only bought this album because I was assured by my best friend that it was more like "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" than their last offering, and I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But this album was an incredibly pleasant surprise, and took me aback if I am to be honest. Whilst "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" was a more of an eccentric, surreal, and young/fun record, "Vices and Virtues" appears to be a kind of grown up attempt of Panic's début; still quirky, but more mature. Even so, it oozes the charm and grace that is so great about Panic! records.

There is abundance of well thought out, interesting and very memorable songs here. After trying to name which ones on the album I would recommend as favourites, I came to the realisation of how good an album this is. But, if you only have time to listen to a song or two then I would recommend "Ballard Of Mona Lisa", "Let's Kill Tonight", "Memories", or "Sarah Smiles". To be perfectly honest though, there isn't a single weak song on this album, and I would suggest listening to the whole thing. Which is a real testament to Brendon Urie & Spencer Smith's writing skills, as well as some very solid production from John Feldmann & Butch Walker, as I find it incredibly rare that I would want to recommend every song on a single album.

So overall, a seriously good album. If you were let down by "Pretty Odd", I can promise that this will make it up to you. Despite losing half their band, and an (alleged) initial lack of confidence in their ability to pull this album off, Panic At The Disco have shown they are still a thoroughly competent and original contender in making alternative, interesting, thoughtful and engaging music. And due to the music industry being locked in a state of churning out stale and repetitive nonsense, it is a very welcome return for them indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hey stranger, I want you to catch me like a cold", 2 May 2011
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (Audio CD)
I had my doubts as to whether Panic! at the Disco would keep my love after losing two members, but they were happily demolished as soon as I heard the first track The Ballad of Mona Lisa. I was a big fan of the first album, an even bigger one of the second (listened to it for an entire summer holiday), and I predict an even bigger one of this one (I predict that I will be listening to it for the next few months, at least).

If you're a Panic! At the Disco fan, you really should love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Panic .... It's Just Fine!, 31 Mar 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Panic! At The Disco knocked my socks off with their classy and
catchy 2005 debut 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out'. It was a winner!
Their 2008 follow-up 'Pretty. Odd.', however, left me feeling
somewhat depressed and abandoned. It just didn't cut the mustard.

The 'Live In Chicago' set aside I am delighted to say that their
new release 'Vices and Virtues' is a welcome return to form.
Truth-be-told it's much more than that. Their best yet? I think so.

The departure of Jon Walker and Ryan Ross does not seem to have
depleted the outfit's capacity to create great pop tunes. Survivors
Brendon Urie and Spencer Smith are clearly perfectly capable of
continuing to fly the flag without them. There are ten songs in the
set and although there are a few tiny weaknesses here and there none
of them disappoint. There is a dramatic (at times almost operatic)
quality to the melodies and arrangements which are brought to vivid
life by Mr Urie, who really does have a very fine voice indeed.
It has enormous power at the top end of his register and a pleasing
vibrato which he employs with dynamic but economic acuity. (Curiously
1980's Midge Ure comes to mind from time to time, especially in the
upper reaches of rollicking anthem 'Trade Mistakes' - a terrific song!)

Opening track 'The Ballad Of Mona Lisa' retains all the band's notable
trademarks. Big, tight beats; rousing harmonies and rip-roaring guitar
riffs. (The additional presence of moody B-Movie piano and judiciously
employed strings adds additional depth and colour to the landscape).

'Hurricane' is a real stormer too! The crisp quasi-latin rhythms,
tasty brass accents and stonking chorus brings the best of Cobra
Starship (with whom they share not a little sonic kinship) to mind.

'Always' is a two-and-a-half-minute little treasure. A truly lovely
composition brought to bursting life by Mr Urie's gorgeous falsetto.
Arguably the finest and most affecting song in the band's career so-far.

Final track 'Nearly Witches (Ever Since We Met...)' is a total hoot!
A virtuoso performance by all concerned proving beyond reasonable
doubt that music can still be fun! This is the real deal everywhichway!

Very Highly Recommended.

(Oh go on Mr Wolf - ok then - Essential).

5.0 out of 5 stars kids, 13 July 2014
weird

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (Audio CD)
Fast delivery. brilliant cd, lots of variation in songs. Would definitely recommend this. Second cd I've bought in the last few months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (MP3 Download)
A great album, with eclectic sounds. Favourites are hurricane, witches and sarahs smile. My wife absolutely loves playing this in the car

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (Audio CD)
Adore this new album, I love all the songs. Panic! have gone back to the baroque rock and it sounds incredible. I can't stop listening to this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Vices & Virtues (MP3 Download)
A brilliant mix of sounds, a reall feel good album and the soundtrack to my summer. this has kept me going on long train journeys and sent me dancing and singing all round the house!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Vices & Virtues
Vices & Virtues by Panic! at the Disco (Audio CD - 2011)