Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£22.02+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 13 August 2011
THIS REVIEW IS FOR: 'FOUR IN THE MORNING' ONLY:

I don't normally go for Soundtracks to movies, but I treated myself to this one as it's from an outstanding film made in 1965. This is from the atmospheric Picture 'Four In The Morning' which stars Ann Lynn and Judi Dench. (see my Review for that title) The music is composed by the late and great John Barry.

There's some dialogue from the movie included - which even without the picture still has impact.
on 22 August 2014
At last I've found the soundtrack to ZULU & discovered the soundtrack to Four in the Morning ( dialogue from the film included in parts) The ZULU soundtrack by John Barry is wonderfully dramatic & the inclusion of the ZULU warriors & Maidens 'stamp' & dancing is sublime.
on 27 June 2002
As an avid fan of the film 'Zulu' I was thrilled to see that the soundtrack was available on CD. I was particularly keen to hear the Zulu chants and songs from the film - the mass wedding at Cetewayo's kraal, the chants when powering into the attack, the moving ballad (? I wish I knew what they were singing)at dawn before the final assault and the salute from the hillside at the end of the film.
John Barry's orchestral theme music forms tracks 1 to 6 of the CD. No problem there, I thought, that music is fine and I can see that 'A Selection of Zulu Stamps' is coming up later. Why did they not alternate the zulu stamps with the orchestral music?
I was soon to find out.
Instead of the aforesaid chants and songs from the film, the listener is treated to some fairly mediocre European-style dance music from the 'sixties, played by 'The John Barry Seven'. Never heard of them? Well, just imagine 'The Shadows' if you are old enough to remember and you are very close. What a disappointment.
So, unfortunately it's a big raspberry from me for this CD. Two stars for the first six tracks (or rather two tracks, as two-thirds of it is repetition of the same theme anyway).
on 15 August 2015
The reviewers elsewhere have already summed up this album. I bought this knowing the shortcomings, so was not disappointed with what I got. Love Barry's music and would recommend as a must buy
on 12 July 2001
John Barry is without doubt one of the greatest screen composers of all time and this cd contains some of his best work. Zulu is, of course, a classic British film featuring the debut of Michael Caine, but Barry's amazing score was certainly a big part of the film's popularity. The use of authentic African instrumentation, in addition to more standard orchestral instruments, gives a real flavour of the setting and the tension throughout the film, and stands as a wonderfully evocative piece of music in it's own right. Barry didn't just score big movies, he often wrote for low-budget productions as well. Four In The Morning was a tense "Kitchen-sink" style drama which Barry accompanies with stark, stripped down orchestral arrangements. Once more he brilliantly captures the essence of the film whilst also producing great music.
on 25 December 2015
A little disappointed in that it did not include the tribal dance intros & the full men of Harlech. Ian.
on 13 December 2014