5.0 out of 5 stars Finely woven., 27 May 2009
This review is from: The Stumpwork Robe (Paperback)
An intriguing and highly inventive story, a heady mix of folklore and fantasy. The plot is intricate and the storytelling elegant, with a wonderful otherwordly atmosphere. By turns whimsical, passionate, brutal and lyrical, this is a truly magical read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of both worlds., 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Stumpwork Robe (The Chronicles of Eirie) (Kindle Edition)
This is a story that draws you in from the moment you read the first page, as exquisitely crafted as the sumptuous wedding robe from which it takes its name.

It is a book for both lovers of fantasy and those like myself who usually avoid the genre, for it transports you into a world that is rich and strange but solid and believable as the everyday world about us.

There are no Dark Lords here, or mighty sword wielding heroes, and no arbitrary quests for magic artefacts Only characters who are delightfully different but completely three dimensional, with thoughts, feelings and aspirations as recognisable as those of the best you meet in mainstream literature.

While the plot is as exciting as any airport thriller, yet as exotic and intricate as the stump work's rich embroidery, full of secrets and surprises, beauty and horror.

All that and a master artist's skill in painting with words.

This has been the freshest and most unique reading experience I've had in many a month of Sundays

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stumpwork Robe, 2 Feb 2014
I read the whole series and can honestly say I'm sad to have finished the last one. All the books flowed like, silk weaving a magical atmosphere to transport one to a very special place and just having to turn the next page or in my case tap my Kindle for the next page. These were read far into the night. Do try them, this particular book was so innovative, I just had to read the rest of the series

4.0 out of 5 stars Well woven, but lacking, 29 Mar 2013
The Stumpwork Robe draws on a stunning amalgam of cultures, folklores and myths from our own world to construct an recognisable and engaging world. However, the characterisation seriously lets down what would otherwise be a fantastic novel. The heroine falls short - going from tediously naive to boringly stunted, and the supporting characters are two dimensional and amazingly obtuse in their attitudes towards each other and their world (fairly representative of a lot of actual people I suppose, so realistic if nothing else). The embroidery conceit at the end of each chapter rapidly grew repetitive, but is an unusual and well done motif elsewhere. The language and structure bears favourable comparisons with Robin McKinley and the blend of culture with Guy Gavriel Kay. Fans of either author will find something to appreciate here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like reading silk, 8 May 2012
This review is from: The Stumpwork Robe (Paperback)
I wrote a review of this book years ago, when it first came out, as I was, I think, one of its first readers. Somehow, somewhere along the line I've lost that review and it vanished into the ether.

I remember only one line of that review and that was that it was like 'reading silk'.

The stumpwork robe is a fascinating idea: a story - a tale in the great tradition of the medieval saga - woven cunningly into a robe, hidden in the design and only readable to those who knew where to start.

The story is a beautiful marriage of medieval history and legendary fantasy, drawing on the great wealth of Celtic myth and weaving it into the tale. But these faeries, much like those in the historical legends, are not Tinkerbell or some Disney creation, but more the wicked and treacherous devils of the Celtic world. Added then to the pseudo-Medieval world, the sheer depth and scale of the world Prue has created is breathtaking.

The only thing that strikes me above that is the quality of the writing. As I said in that one remembered quote, there is something about the quality of Prue's writing that feels smooth and silky (a characteristic definitely missing from my own work, I'm sure.)

I would recommend that you have a look at 'look-inside' program. That way you can see what I mean about the writing and the world and judge for yourself whether to launch in and read the whole thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., 5 May 2011
This review is from: The Stumpwork Robe (Paperback)
What an original idea. I really enjoyed this book - I could not put it down! If you are interested in embroidery and fantasy this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 April 2013
boosmummy "Wanna" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I seriously loved this book, couldn't put it down. As a stitcher I found the passages describing the robe itself fascinating but I also love old fairy tales and the fae in this book were great. Unusual book but I got into it straight away and really enjoyed the characters.

ARRAY(0xa02514e0)