on 25 June 2000
I have only just started reading this book and I am already hooked. Phinn has a lovely writting style very similar to that of another author called Jim Parton. For a good read that is not too exciting too soppy or too uninteresting this is the perfect choice I would certainly buy the preceding book, 'the other side of the dale'. It was a superb read something that I can't stress enough.
on 2 October 2013
Well written by a man that loves Yorkshire and its children in particular! Laugh out loud in places, some of his characters are really well drawn! Gervaise doesn't mind sending himself up and I so enjoyed his pursuit of Christine! I took the book on holiday and read and enjoyed it too quickly! Such a good read for anybody.
on 16 January 2015
I could hardly stop reading this second book of the series - just like the first it was a superb read, full of interesting tales with a great deal of humour. Can't wait to start the thirdI. I am recommending these books to a few friends especially those from Yorkshire. Thank you Gervase for your talented writing.
on 17 January 2014
I just like the way Gervase writes. This should be required reading for anyone in education about to have an Ofsted inspection.
I love his descriptive prose. Good to read modern English by somebody that can still write in English. I thought that art had died with Thomas Hardy!
on 25 February 2013
I bought this for my sister for Christmas or was it her birthday and she had since lent it to me. I found the book very amusing, rather along the lines of the James Herriott books but the encounters with the children were funny.
on 22 April 2014
I love the gentle humour in these books. The tales of the children are typical and I think most of us have worked with at least one person like his colleagues! Not always laugh out loud, but cheering all the same.
on 16 May 2015
Wonderful book.....made me laugh a lot. He really captures Yorkshire not only the glorious countryside but also the characters and their delightful humour and blunt way of speaking. Will definitely read more.
on 20 December 2013
My son missed it on TV and was curious why I raved about it. So I bought the DVD and we watched it together. he loved it and I am enjoying it just as much as the first time around.
on 3 July 2013
Gervase - always amusing- nut his first THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DALE is best and it now seems virtually unavailable on CD. I wish this could be provided at a reasonable cost.
on 17 January 2013
Informative without being boring, it has thr ring of truth about it. It is well-written, highly amusing and easy to read. It will appeal to a wide range of readers.