5.0 out of 5 stars Wartime saga
This is the third volume in the Cazalet Chronicles and it is just as enthralling as the first two. I listened to the first two books on audio (read by Jill Balcon, a magnificent reading), but I just couldn't wait to find out what happened next, so I've just devoured Confusion, and I'm about to start Casting off, the final volume. The Cazalets are a middle-class family...
Published on 21 Nov. 2002 by Lynette Baines

2.0 out of 5 stars Numerous errors in this kindle version
I am really enjoying the Cazalet chronicles but I am afraid the errors in this kindle version are really spoiling my enjoyment of it. Amazon need to do some better proof reading.
Published on 30 Mar. 2013 by Susan M. Mcguire

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The third of the Cazalet Chronicles, 10 Nov. 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Confusion: Cazalet Chronicles Book 3 (The Cazalet Chronicle) (Kindle Edition)
This is the third in the Cazalet Chronicles, of which there are five. This book starts in 1942, with the war seeing no sign of ending and its effects penetrating deeper into the lives of the Cazalet family, as the children grow up and have to think about and see war in a different way, and people are lost and found and shaped by the experiences of deprivation and fear that war brings.

This is just as marvellous as the first two volumes and you meet all the characters like the old friends they have become. Even the characters you don't like are drawn so well, and Howard is so good at creating believable, three dimensional people, that you can't help feeling sympathy for them or understanding their plight. The characters, as the stories, are never black and white, and it is Howard's ability to show life in all its complexity that makes these books so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing read - the five Cazalet Novels, 4 Aug. 2014
Have been racing through the 5 Cazalet novels becoming engrossed in the great sense of time and place, characters that have the space to grow and relationships that are defined by good writing. I was able to lose myself for the duration of each novel and because there are 5 books enjoy the expansive journey Howard takes you on.

Did have to concentrate hard as she jumps between characters and their story's which makes a patchwork quilt writing style, found it a bit frustrating at times but guess it adds piquancy to the experience. The reader has to work too. Only very occasionally did I sense the mechanics and unsurprisingly this was most apparent in the last book. Still by then I cared enough about the people inhabiting the books, wanted to know how their lives and the storytelling would finally resolve. I'd recommend this absorbing read,

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book of the saga so far, 15 Jun. 2014
So far, I think this third book is the best.
I really enjoyed reading this book, as Clary, Louise and Polly are now young adults and are living in London.
Louise was quite a boring character in the previous book, very snobbish, marrying Michael for the wrong reasons etc.. but I really liked her in this book. I especially liked how she described herself "rotten mother, bad lover and so on" and how she understands that she dislikes her husband and her mother-in-law.
All the chapters about her living with Clary and Polly in 1944 in London are fascinating.
Clary is always a great character, and I like a lot her relationship with Archie (probably my favorite male character in this book) and her hope about her father.
Zoe is also very interesting, as she dares live for herself.
I'm looking forward reading the 4th book .

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, 23 Dec. 2013
I haven't devoured a saga like this since I was a teenager (I'm now 51!) The Cazalet chronicles by EJ Howard are beautifully written and evoke Britain just after the war in a truly realistic and compulsive way. Howard's writing is restrained and precise; she gets under the skin of her characters in a way that only a really skilled writer can do. Like its predecessors, 'Confusion' provides a snapshot of life for people in a certain class at a certain moment in our history. I can't really add to the other reviews without repeating them. I can only say that I have read all the series back to back now. I am about to start book 4 and am dreading reaching the end of the final fifth novel. I've read some great books in recent years but nothing to beat the Cazalet chronicles which will probably rank as my favourite reads for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful treat, 22 Aug. 2013
I have become totally hooked on the Cazalet Chronicle and feel that I have really got to know the various members of the family as they survive the second half of the war. The author writes so well about every generation - from the old dotty sisters of the Brig right down to the babies of the family. Their problems, worries, joys, sadnesses, weaknesses and successes come to life against the backdrop of the wartime and postwar austerity which extended even to those like the Cazalets with their big family houses and flats in London. Curiously, even though the war brought that whole era of country house living and servants to an end and changed everyone's life in profound ways, this is not a book about class. It is social history brought to life. Only one more book to go. What shall I read then?.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cazalet Family Saga, 23 May 2013
A lovely gentle read to lose yourself in. Having read the first book of the quartet I was hooked, and the other three quickly followed. The characters are well drawn, and involve you in the manners and mores of the time - which some of us can almost recall.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cazalet Chronicle.., 28 Jun. 2013
I read this book first at least a decade ago and found it evocative of the 2nd World War period, but what I liked best was the way that Elizabeth Jane Howard manages to get into the mind of the children and allow their thoughts to take shape. I was instantly spirited back in to my own childhood! It is imperative to read the whole quartet of books to gain the best understanding of Howard's overview, but it is an easy read with some good philosophies.

My only real criticism is that the editing to Kindle is full of mistakes and spelling errors, which could skew the reader's understanding...as I said, I had previously read the quartet, so I could edit the mistakes in my mind as I read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped from the start, 9 Jun. 2013
"Confusion" is the 3rd book in the quartet of books by Elizabeth Jane Howard that charter the life of the Cazalet family.
Following on from "Marking Time", "Confusion" picks up the story of the Cazalet family in 1942 when the country is still in the depths of war but the Cazalet children are grown up and making lives for themselves. Lives are confused with the characters sometimes not knowing what path to take. The end of the book brings VE day and the book ends with a cliff hanger to take us to the final book "Casting Off". This book had me gripped from the very beginning and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series to see how the lives of the Cazalet family develop.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think these novels are beautifully written. I read them in the bath and ..., 11 July 2014
I am now working my way through Vol 3 having read 1 and 2. I think these novels are beautifully written . I read them in the bath and have to keep topping up the hot water as I don't want to stop reading, The chapters about the children and the young people as they try to understand the mysteries of the adult world are particularly good and the dialogue is sometimes hilarious. If I have a criticism it is that there are so many characters it is sometimes difficult to remember who they are even with the aid of the list at the front.The author often starts a section with dialogue and the reader has to work out who is speaking which can be confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written, compelling series, 27 Aug. 2014
I was hooked. This is not the sort of story I would normally read but once I started I couldn't wait to start the next installment in the series. I will be bereft when I have finished all four books. I wish I had heard the series read on the BBC but living abroad I often miss such treats. If you like Downton Abbey, you will enjoy reading this series about a middle-class family living and surviving from the end of the first world war till the middle of the 50's. What they did, what they felt, the houses they lived in. What they wore, what they ate, read and the music they listened to and played.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›