5.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative and especially funny fantasy novel
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Universe in Words

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I obviously obviously hadn't read the story line so wasn't until I was in the book I realised it was a bit of a jokey one....
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. Patricia Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative and especially funny fantasy novel, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Arenson starts the story by introducing what might be his best fantasy-creation to date: the grobbler. 'Pagan gods cursing beautiful, vain women, twisting and wilting their left halves?' They were terrifying to imagine, yet spoke to me very strongly. By being half wilted, half beautiful, they formed a metaphor for modern day society, which is obsessed with youth and beauty, yet at times twisted and dark. In all his books, Arenson has always showed a talent for creating yet he topped himself in this book. A multitude of new creatures appear, all of which seem to have their own detailed background. Therefore I was happy to find a character that is slightly reminiscent of those in Arenson's 'Flaming Dove': Romy, a demon.

Romy is a delightful character, perhaps the best in the book. As a fearsome-looking demon she scares everyone who sees her, yet her childish and immature character provokes quite a lot of hilarious situations. Put her together with a brutish but nice Scruff, the warlock who conjured her up to Earth, 15-year old Jamie who loves to wield her sword at everything and the charming Webcob who was expelled by her spiderling-clan for her speaking impediment. Together they form the Misfits, the Bullies for Buck, who are desperately trying to survive after being kicked out of their respective groups. The Thistle siblings, Jamie, Scruff and Neev, are all still haunted by the death of their parents, especially when their murdered seems to be chasing them.

Reading this book I felt delightfully nostalgic. I always loved stories about travelling knights, slaying monsters, simply being heroic. That is what I loved about stories about Knights and 'Eye of the Wizard' brought back those feelings brilliantly. There is a great sense of comradeship in the book that extends to include the reader in such a way I felt sad at the end of the book for having to leave them. There had been a perfect mix between darker and scarier moments and more light and fun moments, all coming together in a rather touching finale.

Although sometimes the moral of the story is a bit too obvious for my taste, Arenson's descriptions are amazing as always. I have to show myself from my nerd-side for a minute and tell you that this story brought me back to my Dungeons & Dragons - days. This is exactly the kind of set-up I would wish for in one of those games and I thanks Arenson for bringing me back to that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but addictive, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It took a while to get into but once in it was a very good read. A weird mismatch of characters that seem to amble along from one chaos to another, but as the reader I had to read on to find out what became of them.
I recommend it as a good lighthearted way to pass the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Am now going to buy book 2. Ok Daniel you can make a film of this one, it would be hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye of the Wizard, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story and the fact that it is told in three books great altogether but just as fantastic on there own, Daniel's detailed description is outstanding and the touch of humor is a brilliant touch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 16 Sep 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Eye of the Wizard (Book 1), 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Misfit Heroes Book 1 does not captivate it's audience as in Daniel Arenson's novels in the DagonLore series. I have also purcchased Misfit Heroes Book 2 thinking Book 1 was a one off and my exxpections to high after reading the DragonLore Series however this was not the caes and I found Book 2 as poorly written as Book 1.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style too simplistic, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The plot and characters have potential but the style was too simplistic for me. It did not encourage me to read more.

3.0 out of 5 stars More for teenagers, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Great book,I'm tempted to read the second book however, I would recommend it more for the younger generation rather than an adult read.

4.0 out of 5 stars SyFi book, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Was OK. Wouldn't put it in my list of all time heroes, but will get around to reading the followup sometime just out of curiosity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but lacking a bit of depth, 20 Aug 2012
B. Cowan "Barny" (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is definitely an enjoyable read, but doesn't require much effort. The storyline requires a bit too much on what feels like contrived coincidences to flow smoothly. It's worth a read but I won't be waiting for the sequel with baited breathe.