5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Camera
Published on 9 May 2011 by Mr. B. Ambrose

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product
Bought this camera for my sons 10th birthday. Bought Nikon based on their reputation.

It got several hours attention initially, then forgotten for 4 weeks. So not that surprised the battery was dead. But was more surprised it wouldn't charge.

Published on 27 Jun 2012 by Oxford-Dad

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Camera, 9 May 2011
Mr. B. Ambrose (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S2500 Digital Camera - Red (12MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant little camera. It is so small yet it feels and looks great. I was after a compact camera from a well known manufacturer that would enable me to take high quality pictures that I could enlarge. The 12 mega-pixel spec does this perfectly. I also wanted one with a reasonable zoom too, and the 4x zoom facility does the job perfectly, and the pictures remain sharp even when the zoom is fully activated.

I had a number of issues with camera shake on past digital cameras I have had, and this model has a vibration reduction facility which works really well.

The 6.7 inch LCD screen is major plus for such a small little camera, and really enables you to capture a lot of detail in pictures, and it is very clear and sharp.

The camera itself is very smart looking. It has a solid plastic style black back, fronted by a metal red finish which feels really nice with raised metal Nikon silver logo on the front.

A major feature which I really love about this camera is being able to charge the battery whilst inside the camera. This is actually how to charge this camera is there is no facility to charge it externally, and saves a lot of hassle having to remove the battery all the time.

I also think the face recognition technology is a definite plus too in removing things like red eye from pictures.

The software that comes with the camera is very easy to install on a PC and I found no problems using it, as their instructions are very easy to follow, once into the program it's very simple to upload pictures to the computer to edit and so on.

Other useful features include being able to retouch photographs, using the movie option on the camera to edit short clips, and the ability to print images using a printer connected directly to the camera.

This camera doesn't come with a case, however they can be found in most good shops for very little, and being a tiny camera, they will also be very cheap.

On the whole excellent camera.

Looks good, all my pictures have come out are excellent, the LCD screen is of great size, the zoom is great, the battery life so far has been excellent. The one drawback was it didn't come with an SD card. I had to buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim, pocketable and excellent quality, 21 Nov 2011
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This lovely little Nikon Coolpix S2500 is the forerunner to the slightly higher spec S3100 model. Both are well equipped and very capable of handling the daily demands of photo situations. I compared the two models very carefully, and considered the S3100 to be a better choice, based on the fact that it has a higher specification for only a little more money.

There are five main differences:

1) Zoom is a more than adequate at 4x, but the S3100 has 5x.

2) Megapixels are 12million, compared to the S3100 14million, although this difference won't be noticed (12M is more than enough).

3) Video capture is VGA (640 x 480) on the S2500 while the S3100 boasts HD (1280 x 720) with a one-touch record button on the camera back. This was a key deciding factor for me, with the one-touch proving useful on countless occasions.

4) Size (mm) of the S2500 is 93.1 x 57.1 x 20.0, while the S3100 is 93.5 x 57.5 x 18.4. The S3100 is only slightly slimmer but more importantly has a much sleeker feel thanks to its rounded edges. This really does make a difference when handling and slipping into a pocket.

5) Colour availability of the S2500 is black, silver, red or pink while the S3100 also offers blue, yellow and purple.

Comparison aside, the S2500 is an excellent Nikon Coolpix camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Coolpix S500 Digital Camera - Red, 28 April 2011
book fan (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lovely camera from Nikon comes in a gorgeous red. It is ultra slim and stylish, easily fitting in your pocket and nice light if you're carrying it around in your hand. I haven't had it long enough to try all the features yet, but so far both myself and my partner are very pleased with the picture quality and the great detailing when using the zoom feature. After receiving this product, it has encouraged us to invest in a new printer to be even more sure of the best results possible. My partner has a Samsung with 7 mega pixels and he feels that this one with it's 12mega pixels is an improvement, anyway I look forward to many happy hours taking photo's this summer, so let's hope the good weather holds. I would happily recommend this great little camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, but didn't work when it arrived, 21 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a neat little camera that is small and easy to use, with a great quality of picture. I've owned a bunch of similar digital cameras including a panasonic and a sony but I'd say this is the most convenient, even if it does have slightly less features.

Only problem for me is that when it arrived it would not work due to a problem with the battery. This was probably an unfortunate one-off but it was frustrating none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera!, 10 Nov 2011
A great buy from Amazon, really easy to use and fits in your pocket,I have a large camera thats great, but this is handy to take out and about. Infact I carry it in my handbag everyday! Good service as usual from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent compact camera for the price, 27 April 2011
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's start with the CONS - the video mode is VGA at 640 x 480 or a quarter mode if you want to skimp of SD card space. This just doesn't cut it in this day and age, when most smart phones will take higher resolution video. Also, the optical zoom during video recording feels sluggish for some reason. The anti-vibration feature, obviously most useful when zoomed in, appears to make every photo look motion-blurred - turning it off improves picture quality immensely.

On the PROS side, the camera feels good in the hand with the shutter button well-placed, unlike some much more expensive cameras I've used which make the whole process of taking a picture awkward.

The screen is adequate.

There aren't too many buttons on the back of the camera, the ubiquitous OK button with timer and exposure option at the compass points, the playback button, mode button, menu and trashcan. If you've used a compact digital camera anytime in the last five years you'll automatically know what everything does. Out of the box the camera is pretty much good to go, aside from turning off the anti-vibration feature, with a bunch of other option available if you dig around, but for snaps there's really no need.

Picture quality is generally very good with a lot of detail being captured in the 12MP images.

It's a decent, quality camera, with a good name behind it but you may be paying something of a premium for that name. Picture quality is likely to be better than available on most smart phones, which makes the lacklustre video all the more disappointing.

I have to wonder how much longer we're going to see these lower-end cameras with the cameraphone becoming our universal companion.

3.5 out of 5.

The bundled software is a waste of time, as usual and will install Quicktime and Apple services on your system. Be aware the Panorama maker, which refused to run under my copy of Windows XP, is from Arcsoft. I'm unsure whether it was the full product or the Lite version, as it wouldn't run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Coolpix S2500 Digital Camera, 29 Sep 2011
Sarah (Brentwood, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well I would have like to review the Nikon Coolpix S2500 Digital Camera - Red.....

I ordered the Nikon Coolpix S2500 Digital Camera - Red .....

I received the Nikon Coolpix S2500 Digital Camera - Silver

Disappointing but not the end of the world... just it looks really slick in red.

Anyway.. this is my first experience of digital cameras - its small, light, easy to operate for my female fingers, not sure how easy it would be for a bigger male hand, as the buttons on the top are fairly close together, but they dont fire off by accident, so probably ok.

I had to buy an SD Card to go with the camera, as it doesnt supply one - that is an oversight as the camera itself seems to store only about 6 images before giving me the message 'out of memory', so be aware if you are buying, order a card at the same time to save delay.

Having been used to a huge clunky non-digital SLR with a zoom length out there in front about 8 inches, this feels amazingly light and I had trouble keeping it still but there is the anti blur option, which seems to help.

I havent tried the video yet- a nice add-on I wasnt expecting.

Sorry I am not more qualified to give a technical review of this, but I am happy with it, its a great camera to slip into my bag and never be without. I wish it had come with a case - I bought a case on the same order in Red, to match my camera which of course it doesnt now... ah well. But the silver one works just as good I am sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Camera is great, easy to use, and small enough to put in your handbag, great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, 25 Jun 2013
Very compact and lightweight and easy to operate, which is good for me as I get impatient reading manuals.
Picture quality very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product, 27 Jun 2012

Contacted seller via Amazon, who referred me to Nikon. Sent camera to Nikon. They returned it saying no fault found, but they did at least charge the battery. 24 hours later the camera, though plugged into the charger and not used is dead again.

10 year old very disappointed. Nikon service very unsatisfactory.

This was a very bad purchase - suggest you avoid this camera, and Nikon based on their service ability.