Published on 19 Oct 2010 by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read
Not a bad read and genuinely funny throughout. The first half of the book I found the most interesting, being the phase I'm going through: the lead-up to the birth and what to expect. Ben's frank writing (his wife can't have proofread this - she'd have killed him) really reflects my experiences over the last 8-and-a-bit months, and the advice as to what to expect is...
Published on 18 July 2012 by Iain Purdie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether expecting or you've already got kids this book is BRILLIANT!, 19 Oct 2010
Miss (LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'd just like to point out firstly that I don't know Ben Wakeling the author personally, I've never met him. I stumbled upon his blog thanks to a retweet on Twitter a while ago. I've followed his blog and laughed every week as the week-by-week pregnancy update snippet arrived in my inbox. Then the book got published and I HAD to buy a copy. Well, I bought two actually. And the reason I'm on here now is to buy another copy for another expectant father friend of mine. This is most certainly my 'new dad' pressie. Whilst I was here I thought I'd write a review, because it's nice to support people who you genuinely admire and appreciate.
'Goodbye Pert Breasts' is brilliant. It's so easy to read (mostly because the letters are big and the chapters all short) and I mention this because this is great for most blokey blokes I know who just don't read books. This is a book that they WILL read (especially if you leave it in the bathroom I've noticed... hmmm seems big writing and short chapters are good for toilet reading and my husband says it's much better than reading the back of the shampoo bottles!). Even though I've most certainly not got a penis and it's not primarily aimed at ladies I've thoroughly enjoyed this book. So if you're a lady reading this thinking of getting this book for your other half then I'd recommend it lots because buying this will be like when you go out for a meal and steal chips off their plate, you can steal this after they've read it (or if you're like me, steal it whilst they're in the middle of it, lose their place and then they get really mad at you!) and you will certainly enjoy it too! Be warned though - don't read in public, especially the train as you WILL snort really loud in parts and ladies if like me you're in the late stages of pregnancy and you've not done your pelvic floor exercises you will probably wee a bit in places, especially at the stupid pictures and ridiculous but downright genius comments underneath these.
It's a perfect present for mums and dads to be but equally a really funny read for those who are already blessed with little blighters. 10/10 I really hope Ben writes some more books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!!!! This is a must buy!!!!, 25 Aug 2011
Excellent read, funny, witty and down to earth!

A definate buy for all dads to be! Will be buying the sequel :)

Well done Ben keep up the good work :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Dads review of Goodbye Pert Breasts, 15 Oct 2010
The book takes you through all 40 weeks though not really as the whole process starts with you finding out your pregnant around week 4 and finishes with some pro and cons for a number of hot button decisions that new parents need to make. Drugs vs. natural, cloth vs. paper, bottle vs. breast. Wakeling tackles all of these topics with irreverent humor and surprising detail making this a great book for any dad to be. This is the new What to Expect when Expecting for the men out there that like their facts filtered through a lens of comedy and caring.

While I loved the funny anecdotes and stream of consciousness takes on things like the fetus looking like predator during the early stages, what is really striking about this book is the awareness and sensitivity to what his wife is going through during the process. As fathers to be we all go through our times of self doubt and questioning but even in that process we need to be mindful that there is so much more going on with the moms. Goodbye Pert Breasts does a wonderful job of cluing men into just what their partners are going through and offering timely advice on how to help.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is expecting a baby, male or female and wish that I had read a book this great when we were expecting. This book is just the right combination of comedy, caring, and curiosity and a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read on this subject!, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Goodbye, Pert Breasts: the Diary of a Newborn Dad (Kindle Edition)
Full of facts about the stages of pregnancy, a look at pregnancy through a man's eyes, and absolutely brilliantly written with hilarious accounts of his experiences as a father and husband. Once my husband and I got this, we literally could not put it down! We sat for almost three hours as I read it aloud and he was nodding in agreement, laughing his head off and generally loving this book from start to finish. highly recommend to man or couple who are preparing for parenthood, this book is funny and witty whilst being very reassuring and rather comforting. It also gives us ladies a glimpse into what our husbands/partners are going through and possibly thinking while we are going through the joys of pregnancy! Very valuable indeed, as it helps us both to understand at least a bit Iof what the other might be going through. Cannot recommend this book enough! Just excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant antidepressant, 27 Nov 2012
This book should be on the NHS and be first port of call for all those of us suffering from the 'winter blues'
It is totally hilarious, TRULY laugh out loud and has cheered me up no end - of course I am neither male nor pregnant. This being the case I was not at the time going through the experience but luckily I was alone at home as I gurgled, spluttered and cackled my way through the tale of Ben and Jess. I'm sure that you'd get locked up for reading this in public!
Oh, no bad language or grammar/spelling bloopers
Enjoy xx

5.0 out of 5 stars im a mum but i loved this book!, 18 Aug 2012
I absolutley loved this book and i even laughed out loud! This book is for anyone fathers, mothers or expectant parents its so funny but so true to life. The way its written is brilliant. 100% recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye, Pert Breasts:The Diary Of A New Born Dad, 12 May 2012
I downloaded this book as a spur of the moment thing and I am so glad I did. It is such a funny, laugh out loud, couldn't put it down type of book, that all new Dad's should read. I have two children and whilst I was reading this, it brought back all the great memories of the pregnancies from a Dad's point of view. I would highly recommend getting this book and can't wait to start the next book by Ben, Teething Pains: How to Survive Being a Dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 7 May 2014
Fantastic book! So funny, yet factual and more importantly....spot on! I even read certain parts out to my wife and she found it hilarious too!

5.0 out of 5 stars fab funny read - coming from the expectant mother, 5 Jan 2014
Oh so funny and laugh out loud book! I purchased this book for my partner as we set sail on our new journey. I couldn't resist copying it over to my kindle too and so glad I did. Funny and informative, I was hooked! I would highly recommend this to any expectant father even if this isn't your first child. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Oct 2013
D. S. Chaplin (UK) - See all my reviews
As a new Dad in May 2013, I downloaded this during my wife's pregnancy. Really funny, but very informative. Really great to have a man's perspective on pregnancy and childbirth, rather than most women's books where the man is seen as more of an annoyance during this period in a womans life. Laugh out loud funny - even my wife read it and laughed at some points.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›