5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Regular Zombies Look Like Kittens
Published on 4 April 2011 by Ursula K. Raphael

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best...
First of all, I love zombie books. However this was a bit of a disappointment...

Published on 18 Jan 2012 by Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Regular Zombies Look Like Kittens, 4 April 2011
Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon of The Zombiep... (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Infection (Paperback)
The Infection by Craig DiLouie tells the story of six survivors traveling in an armored vehicle, while trying to find a safe refuge, after a mysterious virus infects millions of humans. The infected people collapse into comas; when they wake up, three days later, they attack all the non-infected. After just a couple of weeks, some of the survivors discover that the Infected are mutating into something much worse than zombies. The main theme that is woven throughout the storyline is the violent transformation of humans into monsters.

"There were things in the garage, Sarge. [censored] monsters. Dark shapes that flitted around the cars, always just out of sight. Then we saw one..."

This novel made me think, "This is what happened to the rest of the world, while everyone was reading about what happened in the grocery store in The Mist by Stephen King." I know I'm not the only one who has made this comparison; some other reviewers have even mentioned The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I understand why, but I think DiLouie goes into far more detail with his characters' suffering than King or McCarthy. The story is told with third-person narration in the present tense; flashbacks provide the personal backgrounds of each of the six survivors. Their reasoning and motivation for their current behavior becomes quite understandable, after only a few chapters.

"They have all done the things one had to do to survive. They have all killed people or they would not be here."

I usually try to imagine myself in the world that I am reading about, but I wanted no part of this setting. Living infected hordes are one thing, but DiLouie describes abominations that would rival HP Lovecraft's leviathans. He goes to nightmarish extremes when pairing the brutal twists of the viral outbreak with the amorality of various people that the survivors encounter. Of course, even though I felt mentality assaulted by the end, I loved reading very moment of this traumatic horror novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best..., 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Infection (Paperback)

The setting was very typical with having the army heroes and then couple of civilians with a mixture of all types of people (priest,teacher,student,housewife) and all of these fighting for survival and looking for a safe haven. We get little bits of information on each of the characters past throughout the book which I found interesting.

At the beginning the infection starts with a big portion of people taken ill, sort of falling into coma causing chaos in hospitals, then 3 days later they wake up.

Then it got a bit silly with all these weird monsters and giants and monkey/spider/spiky things. If it hadn't been for this I would have probably rated this 4 or even 5 stars. The first half of the book was very good and I enjoyed it up until these weird creatures came out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish this, 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Infection (Kindle Edition)
I was really disappointed by this and I don't understand the 4 or 5 star reviews at all. There's no doubt that the author can write, the flashbacks were particularly well told, but the choppiness of the story, the present tense narration, oh and then the monsters...not my cup of tea at all! I wanted to give up at 15% but kept going because I always like to get 25% through a book to give it a fair chance of drawing me in as some great novels can be slow starters. So at around a quarter of the way through I actually started enjoying it, whilst still finding the present tense irritating, but there was less choppiness... Then came the worm! Well I nearly bowed out then, but continued on... Sadly at the halfway point I have to concede defeat. If post-apocalyptic tales are your thing there are much, much better examples than this. I'd like to give a split rating, 4 stars for the flash backs and 1 star for the present time! Because I couldn't finish it I can't give it more than 1 star though...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Zombie Book?, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Infection (Kindle Edition)
No definitely not, to call this "just another zombie story/book would be doing a big injustice to the writer (Graig DiLouie)

It is the first boon written by the above mentioned author but boy what a story and the good neigh excellent thing is that there is an another book that the writer has done waiting for me to read

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be a sequel.., 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Infection (Kindle Edition)
A little unusual in parts but liked the mixture of main characters..passed away a few quite nights on my holiday..

4.0 out of 5 stars Deadly D-Day, 27 Feb 2013
Ms. Theresa M. Derwin (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Infection (Paperback)
Written from multiple points of view, the views of a number of characters embroiled in the story, the novel starts with Ethan, a teacher who watches in horror as people start screaming then collapse for three days apparently in a coma. They are diagnosed as SEELS, 'Sudden Encephalitic Epileptic Lethargic Syndrome' - 'cause everyone needs a label!

After the three days are up, the screamers wake up, attacking their loved ones, eating their flesh. The diseased bite their victims, paralyse them in seconds then take control in minutes.

The infection has killed so quickly, it is assumed by scientists that is an engineered virus. The narration switches from past to present tense when talking about the survivors at the beginning. It is a little distracting as a writing technique but works, as the action switches from memories of events to the current action. Amongst the survivors, we also meet Anne, who the others see as a leader, though a battle of wills ensue as Anne (homemaker) and Wendy (cop) fight for leadership of the small band of survivors. Then we meet Sarge and the crew of the Bradley, a military vehicle left after the apocalypse. Just days before, they dropped off six soldiers to test a non lethal device on the walking 'dead' or diseased. But this is to no avail. The Bradley, taking on these survivors, also takes in 'The Kid' a young boy of around 16 who rapidly grows up. The band of survivors set off to reach Camp Defiance, a refugee camp that is apparently infection free.

All of the stereotypical characters are here, but there is a strength and creativity to them that makes this book a cut above the usual zombie fair. The tone is very bleak and DiLouie is incredibly descriptive with his vision of the apocalypse.

Things seem to be travelling along a normal route until they are on their way to the Children's hospital to gather supplies. The narrator remains a little distant until the offhand mention of the name Sarah, a character's wife, and the question of what has happened to her. It is in these musings that the writing becomes much more emotional. It seems as though the unnamed narrator is almost trying to retain their sanity as they relate the events.

The Bradley's occupants are intent on destroying the hospital, the source of infection, its last mission. The majority of the novel is set nine days after infection and uses flashbacks to tell the story of each survivor when the screaming started.
It is at the hospital that things get really insane. Without giving away too much, extra creatures have developed through the infection, and these other creatures, other mutations, come across a little like Stephen King's The Mist. The survivors have to now fight these monsters too.

Poignant, brutal, yet at times heart warming, these characters and their plight for survival stays with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible and entertaining, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Infection (Kindle Edition)
I originally bought this expecting a zombie novel, but a few pages in I could see many differences. The infection seems to take on a similar style to the. one in 28 Days Later. DiLouie handles religeon better than any other apocalyptic auhor I have read. Every character is so well bult I felt as though I knew them personally, even background charcters were well built. Each chapter having its own title, especially the flashbacks, was an excellent touch. I really liked the addition of the abomminations, but I'm sucker for gaming style monsters. I often found myself pondering over how I would handle the battle strategies. I really do recommend reading this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two parts, 14 Jan 2012
SJW (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Infection (Kindle Edition)
This review does contain some spoilers so reader beware.

I'll start by saying I'm a fan of post apocalyptic stories. I really enjoyed the atmosphere that the author built beginning with the infection and then going on to the stark horrors of surviving in what remains of the world. His writing is quite basic and not as eloquent as some but it still paints a picture that I think most could relate to. I liked that whilst including flashbacks of the main characters stories, an explanation as to the cause of the infection is never forthcoming, leaving you with that same questioning about what happened that the books characters go through. The beginning of the book certainly had a raw and realistic feel to it (well, as realistic as any zombie/horror story can be) and dealt with the stark emotion of watching someone you love become a stranger and worse still, something to be deplored and destroyed.

For me I felt the introduction of the mutated creatures spoilt the realistic feel. The fantastical nature and size of these creatures stretched the bounds of how an infection affecting humans could cause this in such a short time. Suddenly the lack of explanation that I quite liked from the early part of the book became a real sticking point. The second half of the book dealt much more with these as the enemy, hence my feeling that it is almost two separate stories.

I came away with very mixed feelings about whether I liked this book or not and in the end decided that it was a personal thing. If you are a fan of post apocalyptic horror, then I do think this is one for the reading list. Just don't try to label it with a genre (such as zombie) because I think that expectation could spoil you enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Infection (Paperback)
This is a well written zombie epic. Some of the names of the characters (Sarge) in the description made me a little wary of it being generic but it proved not to be the case, it is in fact an excellent read and throws in some monsters of varying sizes to keep things interesting, plus some fun military hardware. The feeling of it is a little like Left4dead meets the fog meets 28 days later meets Southland meets Iraq War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near perfection, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Infection (Paperback)
Craid Dilouie is a breath of fresh air for the zombie/horror scene, he has a writing talent which in my opinion sets a new standard. He has that ability to create an environment so real you can build a clear mental image of what your reading.

This book had me hooked from the first few pages.

The most important part of any book for me is bonding with the characters. In this book we have a pretty wide representation, each bringing there own pain and purpose to the group.

I wont say to much about the book, i always think its best to go in with a wide open mind and just go with the story. I would recomend this book to anyone, its a real quality find, the perfect combination of horror and story telling.

I would also recoment Tooth and Nail, Craigs other zombie/horror book, also a bloody good read :-)

The Infection