Colour Name: Blue/Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing you notice about the Kodak Playfull Ze1 is how small it is. It is about the size and weight of a Mars Bar or a slim mobile phone. Somewhat strange for such a diminutive video camera, the multi-language instruction booklet is about the size of a double CD case. Not really a problem as the use of the video or still camera is amazingly intuitive.

I was really impressed at ALL of the lead were included ... the charger of course, double bonus for me as the micro USB is the same as my phone, an HDMI lead and an AV lead ... all seem to be good quality.

The operation is smooth, there is a pretty decent image stabiliser built in, and even walking shots are pretty decent. The screen is small, but big enough to see what you are doing (I would suggest not big enough for serious editing ... you need to go to a computer or even TV for that).

On playback, the built in speaker might suggest that the audio quality is poor ... BUT ... playback on a TV or PC/Mac is really pretty good.

When I ordered the PlayFull I didn't realise it had a zoom facility ... I don't know what the specs are, but it does a decent-ish job at getting you closer to the action,

I fitted a 16Gb sdhc class 8 card into the camera, and am informed that will give me close to 3 hours of HD, 4 and a half SD record time and about 12,000 photos ... plenty for me.

There is a facility to do still shots, and again, very easy as the still/video button is a simple toggle. There is also a slot to attach the Playfull to a tripod ... I've used it and I think the feature would be very good for YouTube fans.

There is no flash or lighting facility, but all of the indoor, low light shots I have done are fine,

All in all, brilliant, I could have knocked a point off for no case, and no external mic, but really that would be very mean.

Almost forgot the share facility ... press one button on the camera (when connected to your PC/Mac and you can get content onto FaceBook, YouTube etc
1313 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2011
Nice camera , very slim , good video , maybe should have macro but it's ok. I recommend this to anyone who would like a simple and fast camera to record things happening around recommended to vloggers too! Also very nice mic even for recording, catches every sound! Buttons are smooth not making a clicky sound , usb on device helps a lot, software is ok not much of an editing tool (you can trim videos put some effects and music cover ).Package came normally all included as stated.
on 13 January 2012
This device is simply brilliant. I always carry it with me on trips and I also use it as a backup videocamera in case my state-of-the-art 60GB hard-drive unit goes on the fritz. It takes excellent HD videos and pretty decent still photos. It's practical, easy to use and a real bargain to boot. I recently used it in connection with a flexible "gorilla pod" and placed it on the car dashboard to film a road trip. Excellent results and zero hassle.
on 22 December 2011
I bought this Kodak Playfull as i wanted a small, completely portable HD video/camera to carry around, and what a fantastic little piece of kit it is!! The video quality is great for such a small camera, and the picture definition is fab too. It is easy to use, has a built in USB so no messing when downloading to the laptop, it's sleek and stylish and the battery life is fantastic too!! Very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend it to all of my friends.
on 2 January 2012
Great little camcorder, As a stills photographer i like to have a camcorder in bag just in case.
This works a treat, i disagree about the charging aspect as i read the reviews and purchased a external charger with spare battery for not a lot of cost, Problem solved very easily.
Camorder very easy to use point and shoot, Would prefer one without a still camera in it as no use to me.
on 27 April 2012
I drum in a samba band. We're incredibly loud - we managed to drown out a jackhammer operating across the street at a recent gig. It's pretty hard to make a recording of a samba band that doesn't overwhelm the microphone on a phone or ordinary camera and cause horrible distortion. I bought the ZE1 after seeing a friend's Flip video recorder manage this feat due to having automatic gain control - I looked up some ZE1 recordings on YouTube and reckoned it probably had the same feature.

I'm happy to confirm that not only does the ZE1 have automatic gain control, it works very very well - I mounted the ZE1 on a Gorillapod on my snare drum strap, and played full force with the band rattling away around me. The resulting video had fairly crisp snare, and the rest of the band were still audible as well - no distortion, and not too much high-end muffling. The bass came through alright too. Due to the long release time on the AGC, reverb and ambience do get lost, so all the drums sound a bit like people are hitting cardboard boxes, but I was mainly after something to record tutorial videos rather than to produce music-video-quality footage.

On top of that, the camera is tiny, weighs almost nothing, takes SD cards so you can take as much footage as you like, and basically only has two buttons you need to worry about: power and record. Also, being so much cheaper than my regular camera, I'm planning on taking it everywhere with me, and I don't mind too much if it gets scratched up or dropped.

The only thing I'd dock it a little bit for is that the tripod mount is plastic rather than metal, and I'm slightly worried that it'll strip eventually.
on 6 January 2012
Excellent product, quality build, easy to use, stylish.
But most importantly delivers exceptional quality video and still shots in all conditions.
A bit hit with my teenage daughter
Highly recommend this product
on 16 December 2011
Great little camera for the price, easy to use and small enough to sit comfortably in your pocket - produces reasonable quality pictures. I downloaded the software that comes with it but this took over my picture and video library and I couldn't work out how to change the default picture viewer. Not a real problem but this software took far to long to load when you just want a quick look at a picture. Don't see myself doing a lot of editing etc. of videos so I removed the software. The built in USB connector is a useful feature.Kodak PlayFull ZE1 Full HD 1080P, Image Stabilisation with Built-in USB Arm - Silver
on 18 June 2012
This is a brilliant little gadget. I've used it for talking heads interviews and action shots and it performs really well. Voice pickup is sharp and clear, the functions are intuitive (fortunate as the manual is really basic) and the image is sharp until you zoom in, when the digital noise gives it a slightly retro feel.

The editing software that comes with it is also basic but fairly intuitive. My main criticisms would be naff transitions (aren't they always?) and that if you can have anything other than a block colour for your intro, I can't work out how.

But all in all I'm delighted with this.
on 29 October 2011
I bought this camera to go on holiday as I wanted something small and light with which to take photos and video. It's great for that, but do note that by today's standard, the pictures will not be of outstanding quality - this is no 10 megapixel camera after all!. But for making sure you don't miss a photo opportunity entirely, it's ideal. It was light and small enough to pop in a small glasses case for protection and take with me when sightseeing. It takes a bit of time to get used to the shape after a conventional camera. The battery seems to be reasonable and charging is quick and easy. The charger supplied is a clever continental one which fits into a UK adaptor - very neat. Charged well from a laptop too. Do remember to buy an SD card - the internal memory only holds 7 seconds video or 5 still photos, just enough to test the camera. The software loaded from it onto the laptop very smoothly. It feels well made, the instruction booklet is reassuring thick(!) but helpful, and I'm looking forward to exploring all the clever features it has.