4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and intriguing - one of those that you just have to keep on reading.
Detective Karin Schaeffer was a happily married mother until very recently ... when a close encounter with a serial killer left her alone and in deep mourning. Nicknamed `The Domino Killer' by the press (due to his habit of leaving a series of dominos as the clue to which member of the family will be his next victim) and JPP (Just Plain Psycho) by the police, Martin...
Published on 2 May 2011 by E. Heckingbottom

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Thriller About A Serial Killer
Sometimes it feels as though we've read all we could ever possibly read about serial killers. It seems as though every plot twist, every shocking act and every eventual capture, or otherwise, have been played out in full by the legion of writers scribbling away in the genre for our murderous delights.

And ultimately "You Are Next" is yet another tale of a...
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Mr. D. J. Brindle

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, if not a bit nasty, 6 Feb 2011
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a reasonably well written novel, though I felt took its roots from other such authors as Tess Garretson. The plot line is okay, though a little shocking- serial killers attacks family, kills husband and daughter and is now after mother. I always struggle with the murder of children, but this was reasonably well handled. However, there was something lacking in this book and it was average rather than great. I agree with another reviewer that it would translate well onto the big screen, though for me, as a novel, it was mediocre rather then really good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, maudlin, self-indulgent. Not thrilling, 1 Feb 2011
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The blurb for this serial-killer 'thriller' couldn't have been less accurate. It promised 'a taut roller-coaster' but instead the book delivered a meandering, naval-gazing, plodding progression through a survivor's experience of guilt and depression towards resolution, new love and a new life.
For most of the book the heroine does very little apart from sniffle around, feeling sorry for herself, waiting for the other shoe to drop. She's supposed to be police officer who attracted the attention of a serial killer, and her family has become targeted as a result. This could have been a gripping premise and some of the scenes sound promising when sketched out -- like the situation where the heroine, overcome by grief and misery, awaits the arrival of her nemesis with the intention of accepting death so that she can at least join her loved ones and end her suffering.
However, the characterisation is so flat and the delivery so muddy that instead of mounting tension and claustrophobia, the reader instead is overwhelmed with 'so what'. The pop psychology sections, debates about Prozac, and trip to a psyche-farm are particularly irritating, but the whole novel fails to engage the attention. The great secret of the serial killer isn't scary, nor is the killer particularly menacing or threatening. And there's way too much touchy-feely family stuff, involving the heroine's brother, his wife, their daughter, the new premature baby, grandma, grandpa and blah blah blah.
'You Are Next' is being packaged and sold as a pulp thriller, and it's far from that. It's not actually bad, but it's also a long way from good.
6/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good version of the serial killer novel, 1 Feb 2011
ratscat13 "ratscat13" (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When former police detective Karin Schaffer's family is brutally murdered, she comes apart at the seams. She is an empty shell in every sense of the word and feels she'd be better off dead. Both her husband and daughter were murdered by JPP (Just Plan Psycho) or as he was also known, "The Domino Killer" because he would leave dominos at the crime scene as a clue about who his next victim will be. Mild-mannered Martin Price--if that's his real name--does his best to torture Karin and keep her chasing him while trying to figure out what he'll do next in order to catch him.

It's not long before they get their man. With JPP in prison, the question now becomes, who took her niece Suzanna and is she still alive--unlike his other victims? With dominos left behind as a clue, it's a race against time to find out if they have a copy cat killer or if JPP has a partner. What do you think?

Lief pens a diabolically brilliant story and takes us on an amazing, wild ride of, I can't wait to see what happens next, all the while keeping uppermost in our minds what's driving Karin. Her family, along with her very caring psychiatrist Joyce somehow keeps her going, even in her darkest moments. With her old partner Mac, Karin will not rest until she finds Suzanna and untangles the web of lies and murder to find out what's really going on with all the players in this fantastic mystery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard psycho-thriller big-screen fodder, 31 Jan 2011
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"You Are Next", by Katia Lief, is pretty standard American psychopathic serial killer fare that could (and probably will) transfer effortlessly to the big screen; it reads like a screenplay presented as a novel, owing more than a few debts to productions such as "Red Dragon" and "Seven". With only a few hiccups along the way, Ms Lief does a reasonable job of building and sustaining tension as the book proceeds towards its show-down finale, although the story arc is pretty bog-standard for the genre, with most readers well able to predict what will happen chapter by chapter if not exactly page by page.

Storyline apart, though, the quality of the writing is consistently high throughout, and while the plot twists may be clichéd, the book's writing never is. The book would make a good holiday read, especially for anyone wanting something a little meatier (and decidedly more gory) than a slushy romance while still preferring not to tax the brain unduly.

Three and half stars really.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings on this one......, 30 Jan 2011
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The plot was promising enough....What do you do when the killer who's already taken away your family tells you you're going to be next...Fight him or sit and wait for him to come and get you? This is the question that faces ex-cop Karin Schaeffer at the start of this novel. I started reading this late at night intending to read just a few pages or maybe the first chapter, I was over a hundred pages in when I finally turned the light out.

But after the excellent start it didn't seem to hold my attention and I didn't find myself caring enough about Karen and her family. The Domino killer, despite showing promise in the initial chapters was really not that frightening after all and even when finding there was more to him than initially thought, it still didn't really grip me.

I kept finding myself thinking about Chelsea Cain's Heartsick and I'm not sure why as the only similarity between the two books was a killer with a fixation on a cop and Cain's Gretchen Lowell as a killer was far superior to the Domino Killer.

Sorry, I wanted to like it and it started well but then it sort of lost me mid-way through. That said this isn't a terrible book and I've certainly read far worse crime novels, maybe I just expected too much from it. If you like this one a sequel has already been published Next Time You See Me, not sure I'll be reading it though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Averagely Entertaining, 27 Jan 2011
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a sucker for a cheap thriller - they are what I term pop-corn reads. Fun whilst they last but not unlikely to linger in the memory for long.

This is a perfectly adequate piece of writing - nothing spectacular or extraordinary. Not terrible either.

The central character is reasonably well-drawn - you are very aware of how damaged she is emotionally by the traumas in her history. There is a good relationship with her male counterpart. The plotting is reasonably taut - though there is a reliance on the old trick of cutting away from a key scene and then coming back to it in the next chapter by way of a recap. This does undermine the tension a little. There was only one moment of real suspense for me - but that soon passed.

It is not a demanding read - 3 hours is all it took me to zip through this tale of a serial murderer and his victims. The print is very large - which gives the book a feel of being slightly meatier than it actually turns out to be.

This is a very crowded genre and I am not sure this is good enough to rise to the top. It is entertaining enough but I doubt I will remember much about it in a few days. Probably will find a market for a holiday read - the sort of thing you pick up in the airport when you need to kill some time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too implausible, 24 Jan 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has a fairly intriguing premise with the main character and narrator being extremely depressed and suicidal. It is quite short with the type being quite large so that there aren't many words to the page. The writing style isn't that bad but it is quite inconsistent. There seemed to have been a lack of editing.

Unfortunately there are just too many absurdities and completely unrealistic scenes throughout the book. The serial killer seems to be a genius off the page, with him twice escaping from custody but in the actual book it is the complete opposite.

The action scenes are very odd, they seem more like dream sequences than descriptions of something that is actually happening. The police investigation just seems completely unrealistic, it just doesn't ring true at any point.

The book did flow reasonably well and I did want to see how it all ended but at times I did have to force myself not to give up.

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 9 Feb 2011
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was an extremely gripping book.

I loved the character of Karin, and could really relate to her. Not relate in the same way obviously, because my husband is alive and I dont have any children yet, but I could imagine that how she felt would be exactly how most of us would feel if that happened to us. I felt bad for her when everyone was blaming her for the little girl going missing....especially when she was only a cop, doing her job. So I didnt see how it was her fault that some pyscho fixated on her because she happened to arrest him.
I also really like Detective Mac, and would have liked to have had some of the book from his perspective. That is one of the reasons why I have given it 4 stars and not 5, and another reason is because the "partner" was obvious I thought, and maybe I am in the minority, but I like to be wrong in who I think the bad guy is.

If you like a good crime thriller, than I definately recommend this. The storyline actually reminded me a little of Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen, which is another great one in this genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 25 Aug 2014
It's a good book, a quick read. But I was left with lots of unanswered questions. I don't want to spoil it so I won't name names but:
How did the "suspect" over power the police officers at the end?
How did the "suspect" know the clown routine when "suspect" had killed the original?
Why did the domino killer target Karin's family?
Why do the police seem so useless in this book?
etc etc

It's a good easy read, don't get me wrong, but I like to have the answers at the end at least.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 6 Feb 2011
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The opening is quite chilling but the story quickly lapses into a slow plod.

It is written first person through the eyes of the central character whose family had been brutally murdered. She is suffering from severe depression and is suicidal. This is understandable, but the book is more about this than the hunt for the killer. It even dwells on the sister-in-law's post-natal depression. When the main character is prescribed Prozac this is treated as a key event in the story, and we are taken back to this a while later to consider the side effects of taking Prozac. The book dwells far too much on this and as a result the main storyline loses all momentum and is really secondary to what is really a story about someone battling depression.

I didn't enjoy reading this book very much. Apart from the slow, plodding pace, it is quite depressing and it seems that the author is just being self-indulgent, writing about a pet subject. The central character is quite annoying; she spends most of the time moping about feeling sorry for herself and doesn't actually do very much. This might be reasonable behaviour for someone whose family were brutally murdered, but it doesn't make good reading and a story needs more from the central characters. If the book hadn't all been written first-person through the eyes of this character it might have been better.

I would warn anyone who suffers from depression to avoid this book. Reading about this person's problems and thoughts will not be good for you at all.

Overall, this book has been a major disappointment. I thought I had found an author and a book series that I could read more of, but that has not been the case..

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

You Are Next: (Karin Schaeffer 1)