5.0 out of 5 stars Blood of the Isles
This interesting work is easily accessible to anybody who does not hold a detailed knowledge of genetics. Professor Sykes skillfully illustrates every chapter on each of the countries of the islands with a previous paragraph outlining some of the history of the nation.

Having grown up in a patriarchal society giving us surnames through our fathers, it changes...
Published on 11 Dec 2010 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars Of interest but reads as unfinished
Following on from Seven Daughters of Eve, Bryan Sykes talks about the genetic evidence that supports (or disputes) traditional myth / history of the various parts of the Isles (his neutral term for England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

The style is very chatty, presumably to counterpoint the detailed science bits; I did find that this made it read too much...
Published on 2 Nov 2007 by Tony Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 26 May 2013
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
I bought this book on the heels of reading The Seven Daughters of Eve, which I thought was fabulous. I found this book to be too messy in style, which made it difficult to follow and not nearly enough genetics. I'm not a scientist and I find science a difficult subject to get to grips with even though I'm fascinated by it. This book did nothing to add to my knowledge and I'm still not sure where the different clans fit into the story of the British Isles. I guess I'll just have to read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars geneaology, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
Whilst I enjoyed the book,It is a pity that the names of the mtdna and the y dna that the author used for haplogroups ie Wodan ,Sigurd and Helena for instance were not the same as seem to be used by most dna test sites on the net and so in my own case I could not compare my haplogroups directly with the authors research.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 22 April 2013
C "Curmudgeonly Clive" (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Kindle Edition)
One of the best non fiction books I've read, ever. Some years ago, I gave up conventional genealogy because- in some areas- I had gone as far as I could, and it seemed increasingly irrelevant as to who my 17th century ancestors actually were, since knowing their name DOB, place of birth/death etc, in reality told me little about them. We all have two parents, four grandparents etc etc, and at some point the detail seemed rather irrelevant.

The DNA trail however might tell us a little more about our real origins. If it proves that I have Viking ancestors I will be relieved to know that they were not apparently the rapists and pillagers that is popularly believed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book ., 11 Feb 2013
Doug (west Lothian UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
Thoughtfully written book which shares Academic findings but does not plod along creating difficulty for the reader . The concepts seem fully dealt with but obviously every reader is different but as the book points out not as different as we think .This book has engendered a thirst for more from this author and his profession .
Delivery was superfast .

2.0 out of 5 stars Blood of the Isles, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
Too technical for relaxing reading. Didn't fire my interest and has been the one book I have been unable to complete for my book group meeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Kindle Edition)
There is a lot of synergy between these ideas and what is coming out of the digging version of archaeology.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book, more than mere entertainment, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
This book trumps Sykes' earlier book on European genetic origins in most regards. This book is from Sykes' heart substantiated by his extensive scientific research. This is a powerful book espousing ancestral consciousness amongst the native British peoples. Guardian readers, New Labour and New Tories would probably like to burn this book! Lib dems probably execute the author!

As a British man this book is much more than an entertaining review of DNA evidence, folk myth and pre-ww2 racial consciousness in Britain. It is an anti-thesis and categorically stands against the liberal idea that British and Irish people have no real ancestry and are nothing but a mixture of many different peoples. Indeed much immigration policy of the UK over the last 40 yrs and especially the last 10yrs has been defended by degrading and dismissing the ethnic identity of the British peoples. This book proves scientifically by a world renowned expert that we British, especially those in the Celtic nations can trace our ancestors back exclusively to pre-Roman times. In addition the book shows that the English are essentially from the same stock with a veneer of Nordic blood.

The book should also encourages Britishness amongst the Celtic nations and England. The myth of English difference is demolished, in that regard the liberal establishment should be happy. The book fosters a sense of joint identify between England and the Celtic nations. That doesn't mean to say that the English can't still feel a little bit special with their proven Nordic veneer.

Some minor criticism I can direct toward repetition of many facts and ideas which are in the earlier book. I appreciate that this is a difficult problem to get around, that is satisfy the new reader and one who has read the earlier book. Maybe an optional chapter could have worked, anyway I skipped through large parts of one chapter due to repetition on mtDNA from the earlier book.

I agree with some other reviews that the book ends abruptly. The book is not a genetics textbook and so the lengthy earlier chapters on British folk myth, Victorian race research and English pre-WW1 Germanic pride are valid and welcome. Certainly I did not realise how German the English felt themselves prior to the first great European civil war.

Given the bloodless genocide of the western people taking place right now, this book couldn't be anymore important in stressing to the British people and also all westerners how special their ancestry is and legitimate their sole claim to their western European homelands is.

4.0 out of 5 stars blood review, 26 April 2010
Brian C. Nunn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
a good book on the subject which is of interest to a large number of Brits.
Bryan Sykes's material is usually worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genetic Proof The English Are not Mongrels., 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Blood of the Isles (Paperback)
A very interesting read.For years I have listened to the extreme liberal left propaganda that the English are a mongrel race.I n
my opinion for any human to be labelled "a mongrel" is extremely offensive.I bought the book to find out what the truth really was.This book,through science destroys that myth.I am surprised the liberal left haven't had Professor Sykes tied to a post and shot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›