5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by Slaw

2.0 out of 5 stars not my cuppa tea
i love books about mums and new babies but this took me ages to get into and i couldn't relate to it at all, probably the fact that its based on older mothers i imagine. read few chapters then im afraid it went in the charity box
Published on 19 April 2012 by pixie28

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 3 Feb 2011
I received this book earlier today and haven't been able to put it down. I found myself chuckling out loud to the annoyance of my son who was trying to watch his favourite TV programme! The book follows the pregnancy of a 'mature' first time mum, Ms Rosen, subsequent birth of her daughter, followed by the first two years of her daughters life. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally addictive, 23 Feb 2011
I read this book in record time over two evenings as I was totally addicted. Very funny, clever and believable. I could picture the events as they unfolded. A great read for mums of any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 17 Feb 2011
This is one of the funniest books I've read in a long long time and had me laughing out loud on many occasions. It's witty from start to finish and having just become a new mum myself I can completely relate to it.

It's a must read for every older mum although I think that parents of all ages will be able to relate to it and enjoy it. Absolutely brilliant.

Look forward to reading Cari Rosen's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on and Pitch Perfect, 7 Feb 2011
I am a reader and also a "mature" mother so when i saw this at Waterstones i had to buy and almost missed my stop i was so engaged by the familiar circumstances and comforting revelations. I stopped reading mommy books a while ago as my kids are a bit older now but you never grow out of the issue of being a "primawhatchamacallit" (older mom!) so this book is timeless. I just finished some heavy stuff so this book was a real delight and reprieve from those "how to" books that try to tell you how to be a perfect parent. I rarely get through a book in a week never mind 24 hours but this was just the tonic i needed to remind myself that i'm not the only one with these issues. I wish more people would write how things are rather than how they want them to be. More books like this please and the world will be a less judgmental place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Feb 2011
Mrs. S. Lewis "Sandy Lewis" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is a delight. Well written and hugely entertaining. It captures what all new mothers experience with the added twist of a 'vintage' outlook. Brighten your day - buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Diary of a New Mum (aged 43 1/4), 26 April 2011
This review is from: The Secret Diary of a New Mum (aged 43 1/4) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in record time its an incredibly funny yet poignant desciption of Cari's journey into motherhood. She has a fantastic writing style and I found myself laughing out loud as she records her experiences of being a new mum and observations from her childhood through the 80's to present day. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the ladies..., 25 April 2011
I originally bought this for my wife to read. She loved it despite it bringing back all the horrors of birth and breast-feeding. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that she recommended it to me.
Putting all prejudices aside, as my tastes run more to crime & adventure, I gave it a go and was very pleasantly surprised.
It's written in a very intelligent style with a lot of honesty and humour and some very touching moments. I was instantly brought back 9 years in time to when the last of our rabble were born and actually found myself missing those early years!
I also loved the childhood reminiscences of the 70's and any book that manages to mention Pogle's Wood will always be a big hit with me!
5 out 5 - Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and so true!, 6 Mar 2011
Fantastic book for any first time mum, regardless of age. Had me laughing out loud on the tube several times, not a good look! The stories ring so true and really paint motherhood as it is, from the fear and trepidation of pregnancy to the combination of joy and boredom in those first few scary months. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars a fab read!, 5 Mar 2011
I cannot praise this book enough - I cried with laughter and struggled to compose myself enough to reassure my husband that had not lost the plot it was just that i was enjoying the book so much!

I would say it is a 'must read' for all mums out there young or old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years!, 4 Mar 2011
I have loved every single moment of this brilliant book and was fortunate enough to meet the fabulous author briefly, as she lives in my local area.
It has so many laugh out loud moments that I have shared with so many friends. In fact we have chosen this title for our next book club meeting. Living in Cari's local area, I recognised every description from being at the same ante-natal class, to the same GP surgery etc and I can honestly say that as entertaining as her account of these events are, they are also 100% accurate- no exaggeration! I too found myself shut out of the GP surgery when I didn't have the infamous lock for the buggy and had to get my 3 week old baby weighed. It was so utterly stressful! Funnily enough, I also remember it raining that day for me too. Her comments about the dreaded words 'catchment area' ring so true. I had always assumed that living in a leafy middle class area of London meant we'd be just fine..... but how very mistaken I was!
I would thoroughly recommend this book to all mums, regardless of age, as I believe it is such a steep learning curve for us all.
This book was a joy and a pleasure to read, especially for anyone who grew up at the same time. Memories of Sunday afternoons trying to tape the top 40 are priceless as is my Holly Hobbie doll that I still have!
I bought it as a gift for my sister who is aged exactly 43 and a quarter and expecting her first baby next week - thank you Cari Rosen, she is going to LOVE it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›