5.0 out of 5 stars super warm and very practical
This jacket is so warm with or without the fleece fitted. pockets are very large and useful and the pocket on the arm is great for keeping a mobile phone. Hood will keep the elements out and if you fold it over around your neck it is high enough to keep the wind out of your neck and ears to keep body heat in.
Two nice large poachers pockets tucked in the side which...
Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by Harvey Manning

3.0 out of 5 stars sizing issue
good product but it fit on the large side made movement a little cumbersome but its wind and water protection is spot on
Published 12 months ago by N. L. Reid

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars super warm and very practical, 2 Oct. 2012
Two nice large poachers pockets tucked in the side which are accessible without having to undo the chest zip and let the heat out.

Not much I would do to improve it other than perhaps make a longer version which would be long enough to reach the tops of your legs for extreme weather conditions but if you wear a good set of windproof trousers they will do the trick. I would rate this jacket much higher than many expensive designer mountain walking jackets available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will probably give it 5 stars after the winter..., 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Mil-Tec ECWCS Jacket with Fleece Black (Sports)
Let's start with the supplier - I haven't contacted them directly, but they get very good reviews elsewhere and my coat arrived in record quick time, so I would certainly use them again.

The size - I did as instructed and went for a size smaller. I wasn't sure whether that meant go down an inch or so on your chest size or go for a coat size smaller than than you would expect to. I opted for the former and think I got it right. I'm 5'10", 13.5-14 stone and have a 43" chest. I bought a Large and the coat does come up big on the body, especially when you remove the fleece lining, but I prefer it that way anyway. The arms are about an inch too long for me but that's hardly an issue. The one thing I would say about sizing though, is that whilst I think I got the body size right, I find the coat just a little tight across the back and tops of the arms when you cross the arms over the front of the body. Again though, this is not anything that spoils the overall fit.

The vents under the arms run most of the way down the arm, which is great for me as I tend to get quite stuffy when wrapped up.

The zip is quite industrial and clunky - it can take a couple of goes at getting the zip in, but when it's up and covered you know there's no cold or wet going to get in that way.

My main issue with the coat is regarding the hood. I ummed and arred about this or the Helikon equivalent. Same price, looked identical apart from the hood. I assumed with the Mil-Tec version the hood would be detachable but it isn't, meaning if you don't wear it you either have it lolloping around or you can fold it in on itself and down the back of the neck. This feels a bit stuffy but once you're used to it it's fine and will offer an extra layer against the cold and the wind.

Looks wise I think it's acceptable for all occasions. OK, if you're the kind how wears a dinner jacket it might not work, but other than that it's smart enough not to be frowned upon in posh circumstances.

I haven't used it in all weather conditions yet, but it certainly looks and feel up for the job and I look forward to putting it to the test. I currently give the coat 4.5 stars, losing a half just because of my personal preferences rather than any genuine gripe, and I would imagine after the cold and wet season I'll review it up to 5 stars.

It's a quality jacket and actually I wouldn't have been surprised to find it costing a bit more. Pleased with my purchase.

**Updated the following May**

I have not felt the cold in this coat, and I have not got wet. I have found the coat to be perhaps a little too bulky, but that's only to be expected. Other than the sizing issue above, it would be unfair to fault this coat, especially for the money. Updated to 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great waterproof winter coat but..., 14 Dec. 2013
A great waterproof winter coat. It is warm and comfortable and has remained waterproof even in heavy rain (though only a week old, time will tell). The peaked hood is great for me as a spectacle wearer, keeping most of the rain from my glasses. The front pockets are large and well secured though I would have liked to have seen some side pockets for keeping my hands warm.

My only real complaint with the product relates to the breathabilty of the fabric. I find that even with mild exertion I get sweaty and the nylon liner takes a long time to dry out making for a less than comfortable experience. I have a gore-tex walking jacket with the same breathabilty rating that stays dry inside for miles, though in fairness, it did cost three times as much.

To summarise then, well made, warm, waterproof and excellent for less strenuous activities but heavy and clammy for more intensive activities.

5.0 out of 5 stars top class product, 4 Dec. 2013
I have only had this coat a few days and I can already tell that it is a very warm jacket. it is extremely well built and uses what seems to be very durable materials in its construction. There are plenty of large pockets that can hold quite a large amount of stuff. I agree with another reviewer that maybe it could do with being a couple of inches longer but this does not detract from it being a very good jacket and extremely well made. the only other thing I would add is that although it has lots of very large pockets I think a couple of small internal breast pockets would be useful. in conclusion I would say that if you want a top class well made and very warm and waterproof jacket then this is a serious contender.

5.0 out of 5 stars great jacket goes well with my helikon trousers keep the cold and wet out, 13 Aug. 2014
dave marshall. (Newent, Gloucestershire.) - See all my reviews
Great jacket dose as described on the label Exelent product, very warm with the acomponing fleece , I tried it out in one of the worst storms I've ever been out in, it's like having your very own personal shelter, with the trousers its brilliant, other people were running for shelter and I could sit in a storm all day and it would not bother me at all, it actually makes going out more fun its that good, but just make sure you put the trousers over the top of your boots if you have them as well, it's for obvious reasons, because if you don't and it's raining as heavy as it was, they will just fill up with water, ha ha we live and learn as they say!

5.0 out of 5 stars ECWCS Hooded Parka, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mil-Tec ECWCS Jacket with Fleece Black (Sports)
Just what I need for the winter and with the removable fleece ideal for those April showers.Well made and robust, wish I had this a couple of years ago when visiting family in Finland at Christmas.Dont be tempted to go for the next size up when ordering.I usually go for XL glad I got L...plenty of room.Well pleased and thanks to the supplier when making the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal for what i need, 29 Nov. 2012
Mr. G. I. Swain (Afghanistan) - See all my reviews
Great jacket, could do with having elastic on the cuffs of the fleece and the around the bottom of the outer jacket. I just took the elastic from the internal snow band which seemed pointless and thread it through the base of the jacket, job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coat, but VERY generous, 26 April 2014
I am 6'4 and quite heavily built, and buying coats online is always an adventure in sizing and length. This coat, as mentioned by other reviewers, is very generously sized and arguably too big for me. However, I do layer up in the winter and this will be a welcome coat then I am sure. Very well made, but perhaps lacks a little style for some. The pockets are very deep, the two chest ones swallowed my hand and part of my forearm too, the lower pockets are not zipped (hence four stars) and close with velcro and a press stud, but are also large. The inner fleece is good, but perhaps needs tighter cuffs, but unlike some fleeces, this is a great length and cover me better than most fleeces. Not yet tried in the rain, but the feel of the material is better than my Berghaus coats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the sizing., 20 April 2013
CloneDaddy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Love this coat, especially in black. Unfortunately, when this arrived I could have got someone else in there with me too.
This coat is VERY generous in it's sizing.
I had to return this to the seller (at my own cost = £8.36) and get the next size down (unfortunately only available in olive green at the time). Even then, there is plenty of room in the coat. So beware.

The coat itself is great. Best I've had. I wear it on my motorbike and it's warmer than my leather and very good at keeping the wind out too.
It's also good in the rain, although it hasn't been in torrential rain for any length of time yet, I am confident it will cope.
It has a good high collar against the wind and an adequate hood too.
There are plenty of pockets, I have never run out of space yet. I have found the poacher pockets to be the most useful, but it is sometimes difficult to find a small thing in amongst the masses of stuff you can get in there, so be organized.

I have had to stand out in all weathers watching my little boy play rugby, it gets bloody cold on the sidelines for 2 hours at a time. This coat has kept me warm through it all, it keeps out the biting wind. Wish I'd had it at the beginning of the year.
The fleece (detachable) is very effective, but not very pretty to wear on it's own. But that's OK 'cos I bought this to do everything at once.
All in all, I know I can grab my bug out bag, put on my coat and be pretty much able to go anywhere and tackle anything. So job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best coat EVER!, 6 Nov. 2014
This coat is awesome. I love it. It has HUGE pockets, and it's massive, no problem fitting over inner layers, and quite warm enough on an autumn night that you could wear a T-shirt underneath. Ideal for nights out clubbing or long days out watching winter sports.The hood has a sort of built in peak to keep rain out of your eyes, & it does up so your face is protected from the wind. This is a coat for when the wind is howling & the rain is battering down, or when you have to walk through miles of snow. I love this coat!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›