5.0 out of 5 stars Great to complement current fitness regimen
Published on 4 July 2011 by K. RIAZ

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit the Workout Section
First of all, I would LOVE to give this game a 5-star, but for reasons explained below I will stick with the 3-star now. My primary reason for the demotion is that I think the issues with UFC Personal Trainer could have been avoided, but it seems that they either ran out of time or did not do enough testing on their subjects to iron out the wrinkles.

Okay,...
Published on 9 Aug. 2011 by JP

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit the Workout Section, 9 Aug. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: UFC Personal Trainer - Kinect Required (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Okay, first things first. UFC (Personal Trainer) is nothing like any other exercise Kinect title out there. The closest you'll get to it is EA Sports Active 2. While most titles are focusing on the aerobic and circuit part of exercising, UFC truly is a 'WORKOUT' like I used to know, i.e. weights and muscle building. This title has areas that claims to give you cardio workouts, etc, but it's not the Your Shape Fitness crunches-style with a 20 minute aerobic session. No, instead UFC is a very structured workout presentation that brings in the well-known reps and sets. Now for those of you who haven't really done a serious workout at a gym, a repetition is how many you do of a particular exercise, like 10 push-ups, and a set is how many times you do those push-ups, like 3 sets. That means, that you will do 10x push-ups, take a break, and then twice more, in total 30 push-ups. Some may say I'm explaining too much now, but it did confuse some of my friends who have only gone to the gym to do yoga, aerobics, or spinning.

Once you understand that this is the focus of UFC, you'll quickly understand how the programmes are structured. In the end it all comes down to this - strengthening your muscles and doing an endurance workout. If you do not have weights this workout will become useless after a week or two as you've already maxed out your muscle at that point and should scale up, so make sure you've got basic weights or a set of dumbbells at home when you get UFC. Most will say the weights are optional, and I'll agree if this was EA Sports Active 2 or Get Fit with Mel B, but not with UFC Personal Trainer. These exercises have been thrown together by experts and I am pretty sure they have always used weights while exercising. You'll even realise quickly that without adding weights to certain exercises that they are pretty useless.

And then, this is going to be commitment and hard work. You cannot test UFC Personal Trainer for a week and then give up for a month, as this will damage your body more than do any good. You'll have to get down and commit yourself to at least a 30-day programme. What they do not tell you in the programme is that if you feel that the exercises are easy you're probably not pushing yourself. From my days of lifting weights we were taught that you always need to add weight once you get comfortable with a specific weight to work on that muscle memory. If you do not push yourself for harder weights or quicker reps this workout will turn out to be fruitless in the short and long run.

Finally before I break down the cons and pros of the game for me, do not expect to become some martial arts kung fu fighter with this game. The workouts are 95% traditional gym workouts, with a few exercises of fighting thrown in. These are not the centre of the game as they are clearly not the means to the end, but the end itself. UFC Personal Trainer is an exercise title that will help you get strong and work on your endurance, and if done right, help you build up an awesome six pack or nice lean athletic body.

CONS
- Tutorials to each exercise is not intuitive. If you activate this option in the options menu it will make you do the blasted tutorial for each exercise, even if that means 3 times in a workout as the exercise will have 3 sets. This is becomes very annoying after a week because they will still be telling you 3 times in one workout how to do a push-up. Some games actually will show you once or twice how to do an exercise and then automatically skip the tutorial for exercises you've done already, and only show you the new ones. If you do turn off the option in the option menu then you get no tutorials at all, which may prove problematic for those new exercises that may creep in in the future.
- Just like many other games, the "one-liners" the trainers use get oh-so repetitive within two workout sessions. In a cool down session after a workout they may repeat the benefits of stretching out after a workout as much as 20 times. Overkill and there is no way to switch this off. It kind of feels like brainwashing after a while when you realise how often they repeat certain things.
- This part I don't get. If it happens that Kinect for some obscure reason loses me on the floor (or I quickly step out to the bathroom) it wants to confirm I'm the same person when I return. Go through the set up of recognition again. Now common sense dictates that the same person will start and finish a workout, unless you are a serious cheater. I'm pretty sure that if I had decided to quit my workout and someone else wanted to take over we will go to the Main Menu and have that person sign in.
- UFC often and clearly misses some reps. Do a push up and every now and again it doesn't register. Actually, this doesn't bother me personally as I've gotten used to this from other games too, but it does drive you crazy when there is 5 seconds left to do one more push up to qualify and it DOES NOT register at that moment. Then you feel like throwing the box at the TV. I think this kind of aggravation should not be part of a work out and I have for the life of me not figured out when it does register certain moves and when it does not. My hit rate is about 95% accuracy which one could argue is awesome, but like I've mentioned, that 5% miss can come at the most inappropriate times. This is the main reason I am giving this game a 3-star review, as this technical side should have gotten more attention during development. If they cannot make certain exercises work properly they should leave them out. Then again, EA Sports Active 2 picks up my push ups with no problem, so this is not a Kinect problem but a developer one. One I sincerely hope they can fix in a patch and not let us wait for "new improvements" in a subsequent 2012 release.
- During exercises you are given the opportunity to choose your weights. Fine-tuning the exact weight on the menu is an extreme hassle. They should have thought this better through. If I want to adjust my weights from 1kg to 5 kgs, it will start running past the 5...then I have to back down, then it runs past the 5 again to 3, so in the end you stand there adjusting the weight meter one by one. A pure waste of time. My suggestion is that they can give you a table of preset weights in the digits from 1 to 9, plu 0, and then an additional table from 10 to 90, and 100+. So for example if your weights are 23 kgs, you can click on the 20 in the one table and then the 3 in the other. Voila. Two clicks and zero frustration. (Maybe this will not annoy others like me, but during one workout I will adjust my weights and this has turned out to be very cumbersome.)

NEUTRAL
- This is a workout like you'll observe (or have experienced) workouts in a gym. You do a set of push ups, then hang around for 10 seconds and drink some water. Get your weights ready and then do your next set of Arnold presses. Then hang around for 10 seconds again, sip some more water and then get yourself ready for the next exercise. If you've done this in a gym you won't be bothered by it, but some of my friends could not get into it after doing Your Shape Fitness Evolved and Get Fit With Mel B. They wanted the exercises to be strung-along, continuous and quickly set. A true "weight" workout does not work like that, though, so kudos to UFC Personal Trainer keeping it true to form. But then, be aware of what you are in for. Like I've mentioned above, to get the best out of this, you will need weights at home.

PROS
- If you stick with the programmes you'll get value for money. After one month my muscles have greatly toned and I can do 500% more weights than I could at the beginning, granted I started on a feeble 3... Judging I'm now on 15kgs and pushing myself even further I am rather satisfied that the exercises are indeed working. If you start afresh you'll burn the first two weeks, and badly. I couldn't get in my car after the first few workouts and taking off my jersey was a schlep. But now I can look in the mirror and physically see the results.
- You get the sense of professionalism as the guys training you are masters themselves. (Though I have to add they are all reading the same script. You realise this when you do a second workout with a different trainer and they say exactly the same thing.)
- The games, just like a real life workout, inspires you to push yourself pass the limit. Maybe they will ask you to do 10 push-ups, but when you are done, they will encourage you to do 3 more. This is not necessary, but they motivate you to go for it - something very important in a workout.
- I thought the menus are better than most Kinect titles out there and easy to navigate around, except for those pesky ones where you have to navigate up or down to get a number, like aforementioned.
- This is a great selection of workouts and exercises for anyone interested in building on their strength and endurance. For those who went to the gym for aerobics, pilates or yoga, stay away from this title.

Apart from the technical issues the presentation and contents itself cannot be faulted with. If you are into sports then this is the title you should consider. I'm positive that if you can keep up doing this your sports injuries will go down to a minimum.

UFC Personal Trainer is not just another addition to the exercise titles of Kinect, but it's complimentary in the sense that there isn't anything like it out there at the moment. I am an early adopter and I hope THQ (the publisher) invests more in this title so that the glitches can be ironed out and not repeated in future titles. Once you can get that out of the way this title should become solid gold.

So, if you are ready for a serious workout, want to tone those muscles and get them to look good, then go get your copy of UFC Personal Trainer (but be aware of the technical issues that pop out from time to time.)

If you need any additional information please ask me. I'll keep checking in and if they release a patch that can fix some of the issues mentioned above I'll jot it down here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to complement current fitness regimen, 4 July 2011
K. RIAZ "ThunderCat" (London) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I waited for this title in anticipation and once it arrived I was not disappointed. Like the previous reviewer I needed something to improve my agility as I already lifted weights and ran a couple times a week.. You do need a bit of space for this to work properly and there were times when the kinect didn't pick up certain reps but I think that was mostly down to poor form from myself...

So was it worth it? Yes! I did a couple of short workouts and was absolutely shattered and aching for a couple of days (probably down to training at 1am on the day I bought it). The body weight workouts made my muscles work differently in ways they were not used to and the variety of exercises was awesome.

The range of moves was impressive and there were times I actually questioned how fit I really was? Benchmarking 100kg on a regular basis and here I was struggling with a bodyweight exercise... What I realised quickly was that I wasn't as flexible as I thought Iwas and lacked quick twitch muscle strength which I'm hoping this will develop and enhance.

If you're like me and exercise on a regular basis but don't have time to attend martial art classes then this is a must! The range of moves and motion is impressive and am very pleased with it -I think it will benefit beginners also as it caters for different fitness levels.

P.s. It helps if your tv is on the wall via an adjustable arm as you can adjust it to maximise floor space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fitness motivator, 14 Sept. 2011
fitnessmad (Lytham St Annes) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
So a UFC style trainer for the kinect. After using this game for one month all i can say is that it is GREAT.

The game is purely fitness based but also fun at the same time. It has many options relating to fitness. Basically you have the option to start a quick session or you can do a programme which lasts from 30 days or 60 days.

The quick sessions can focus on certain fighting skills, for example punches and knees. Or alternatively you can choose your own quick session which incorporates your own likes and dislikes.

There are three fitness programmes, being fat loss, endurance and strength. I have completed the 30 day endurance and i have to say it certainly is a hard workout.The workouts are circuit style based and incorporate a whole body approach so you get your heart pumping and your muscles burning for the high repetitions of exercises. You can choose from a variety of trainers that demonstrate the exercises and motivate you to try harder whilst your trying to push out the last rep. The trainer sets a target for you to achieve with any given exercise and this figure is based on the fitness test you take right at the beginning which determines what fitness level you are currently at (intermediate was my starting point). To give an example of exercises i had to complete, on one day i had 27 exercises which lasted approx 40 minutes, this included 26 pressups and 40 tricep extensions all done three times, some days the programme focuses more on legs and other days upper body so my body had time to repair inbetween workout days (my endurance programme was 4 times per week). As you progress through the programmes you can unlock various trainer videos which are interesting to watch.

Iv read about a few people mentioning about the tracking whilst playing. The tracking of the kinect isnt 100% but at the same time its not a problem to put you off buying this game. Now and again whilst performing situps and upright rows the game would lose me, if this happens to you just carry on for the designated reps to complete the exercise, it will just say exercise not completed(but you know the truth ;). Like i say though this rarely happens if you follow the instructions and are the correct distance from your kinect. Also if you dont want to listen to the explanation from your trainer on how to do an exercise just say (trainer skip tutorial) and this will take you to the exercise, i say this as i have noticed some people writng a damning review based on this alone =S.

Overall a great game which focuses on UFC style workouts which are guaranteed to get you fitter and in better shape. I would recommend this game to people who dont train much and for people who train but want a different type of workout without the costs of going to a club. The game is priced at £25 whilst i type this, if your thinking about getting this game stop thinking and just get it, you wont regret it. =)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout for everyone, 8 July 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
For years if you wanted to work out you had pretty much two choice:
1) You'd have to go to a gym and face ridicule at being out of shape.
2) You'd have to hopefully find a Fitness Video or DVD that suited you.

As a guy, your options were restricted even further and your choice was restricted to one, Sugar Ray Leonards Boxout. Yet with all visual work outs you have one major problem, that you are not doing it correctly despite your best efforts and risk injury that can occur at any point, so much so that when you do injure yourself it's a hell of a lot harder to start up again after a period of recovery.

Thankfully recent developments in the gaming market have come to peoples rescue and whilst it was the Wii that started the whole work out craze one of the major problems was that the equipment wasn't designed or built for people over a certain weight to utilise. Here for the first time, is an interactive work out piece of software (note I don't call it a game) that is designed to give you a thorough work out utilising floor space and your Kinect. You don't need any fancy equipment, you don't need to buy additional hardware and you don't need to worry about doing it correctly as the programme monitors what you do at each point and corrects you as it goes along.

Back that up with customisable settings so that you get the work out you want and it's a real dream. Yes you've got to undergo a fitness test to begin with but that's so it can set the difficulty for you and yes it may not be for everyone but for a guy to have something to help them get fitter that doesn't involve dancing is a minor miracle in itself and let's face it, it's not just guys that don't want to dance about my other half can attest to during her UFC workout.

All in, for me, this was a cracking concept and one that I look forward to doing each day, yes it's going to take time to get the results I want but I've got no one shouting or looking over my shoulder demanding to use the equipment or laughing at my physique and when you add it to a healthy lifestyle things can only go up. This is a great idea, beautifully executed and one that the user will see positive results from, a plus point in all directions.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like this product a lot in spite of one or two little technical problems which i was aware of before i bought it, 31 Mar. 2013
this is a top programme - i have been using it for some time find it easy to navigate and fun to use. the 30 and 60 day programmes are good for when i am struggling to feel motivated and the results are noticable. i would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for it being a bit slow going from one activity to another (i am not a patient person!) and its annoying habit of going into pause or freezing from time to time for no apparant reason but i was aware of this through reading other reviews and, to be fair, i can live with it because everything else is so good. i have previously used Fitness Evolved which i do go back to from time to time but much prefer the UFC method and feel that it gives better results. i should point out that i am probably not the target market for this programme, being a 72 year old female and i am saying this only because i feel that people like me should not be put off by this type of product. i have found it extremely beneficial, providing you have the sense to do the proper warm-ups and cool-downs even if you find them a bit tedious - i learned this the hard way resulting in a temporary injury to the hip flexers - it was my own fault and has not happened again since i now have more sense!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed martial arts with mixed results, 4 July 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Completed one and a half workouts so far, but even so the results have been mixed. First of all this game needs a lot of space. Once you've moved the sofa you might need to knock down a wall or two. If you take the Kinect Sports playing area as a baseline, you need to add at least a foot on either side and a couple of feet behind. This is not such a bad thing; I would have been surprised if it didn't need any space! I also found with wooden floors that I needed a mat. Not for the comfort factor but to deaden the sound of early morning workouts.

You have to take a fitness test initially, which is fun! I ranked as intermediate but then again I didn't manage to take my own pulse properly. Practise taking your own pulse before the "trainer" tells you to do it. The test serves as an introduction to the game as well. You go through a little warm-up and then you're told to do as many sit-ups, push-ups and jumping-jacks as you can in a minute each. It tracks you and counts your reps. It's a strange experience but it works well.

I bought UFC Personal Trainer to improve my fitness in general. I already lift free weights about 3 times a week and I run about 2 times a week. I felt this trainer would improve my flexibility and round out strength and power. Of course the "training plans" don't really fit with my plans. Instead I'll stick with the single workouts and manage a plan myself. I first chose a 15 minute introductory session to Muay Thai. Another 5 minute warm-up and we were jabbing, hooking and we even did some combo thing. This is exactly what I got the game for. It hit all the right spots. Really responsive. I got right into it. I certainly moved in ways I never would have by myself. I scored an A+ apparently, whatever that means.

It was so good I decided to carry on with another 15 minute workout. For some reason I had to go through another 5 minute warm-up. I'm not sure why I needed to warm up; I'd just been through a short warm-up, a fitness test, a full warm-up and a 15 minute session. I felt like the lawyers were getting in the way here. Then I hit a real problem with the workout itself...

My second workout included some pretty intense moves including a "get up" where you get down on the floor and have to get yourself up as quickly as possible. It seemed that, no matter what I did, the rep was not tracked; I got down and got up more than 10 times before a single rep was counted. I was supposed to do 35 of these. It would've killed me. Luckily the trainer "failed" me instead. I did manage to work out was was happening by the time it was too late. I was putting my hand on the floor when I shouldn't have been. I could put this down to my inexperience and not paying enough attention to the trainer, who did show exactly how to do it - without the hand - except that this was my second "introductory" session and I fear many more complicated moves will come up. While it may seem relatively minor, something like this in the middle of a workout can ruin the whole thing. It really exposes the limits of the technology.

Overall though I'm really impressed. The workouts themselves are exactly what I was looking for. I'm hoping to get some serious training out of it over a long time.

Update: After my first month and about a dozen workouts I can report that I haven't had a repeat of the tracking issue with any other exercise. In fact the tracking is really excellent, which is pretty fundamental to the game I guess. I've also found how to skip the warm-ups by either saying "trainer skip exercise" or pausing the game (hold left arm out) and selecting "skip exercise". Still mightily impressed with the game and will continue the workouts for a long time to come. As I'd hoped it has definitely helped with shoulder stiffness due to weightlifting. More surprisingly it has seriously increased the range of motion in my legs, which I wasn't expecting as I already do a lot of resistance exercises, running and stretching.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to like it, but....., 17 Sept. 2011
Although I love the concept of this I'm really disappointed in it's execution. Perhaps I'm missing some thing here and If so I hope someone out there will enlighten me. I have checked the settings, calibration and position time and time again.

I found that when ever I come to use the workout programmes the game or maybe the sensor lets itself down. I have been doing martial arts in many forms over the years so I'm fairly confident its not my technique letting me down. For example the sensor will register some of punches but then ignore kicks even though I'm clearly in the green silhouette. This impedes any progress and I get demotivated. It's shame because it could be great instead of frustrating. Hope they actually get it right one day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Trainer (if you can get past the painful bits), 18 July 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
THis is probably the best trainer out there, in terms of the exercises you can do. I'm not into the Jane Fonda type workout's you will find in some of the other titles available. This is a lot more intensive and as a result it makes a difference quicker and i got the impact i desired. After using this through the 30 day schedule there was a noticable difference to muscle tone and general fitness.

That said some of the design elements to the game a truly awful! The Kinect development needs improving significantly. I use other titles such as Kinect Sports without any issues, but for some reason i'm constantly having to manouvre to fit into the Kinect workspace, or re-sign in because it has lost me - some days seem better than others. Not sure what is going on with the workspace but as i said no problems on any other title, so i can only put it down to how they've utilised the technology. As mentioned by various others, the trainer commentary can also be very irratating. Perfect example is when the trainer comments about being slower than the last time you performed the exercise - i don't understand what the point of this is?! Performing some exercises slower makes them more efficient, in fact one of the trainer comments even eludes to this, so its annoying to get a negative comment for no reason - i tend to actually switch the sound off now anyway! The tutorials are also annoying and i've found that during this game, despite it being Kinnect based, i still have the controller handy as its quicker for me to skip through. Overall, its frustrating as it could be so good, but instead of feeling great after a workout using this, i'm usually left irritable and frustrated. I tend to now use the same exercises outside of the game, just to save myself the pain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting - but great workout!, 27 Jan. 2012
A Clark "Clarkygx" (Chilterns, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Pros
Detection is very good, especially for ground activities
There's a lot of high quality movies that they put in from UFC
It teaches real fighting and combo moves, more of a martial arts
It pushes you to do more once you do your amount of reps, kind of encouraging in my opinion
give you a 30 day or 60 day program to work out with.

Cons
Warm-ups are VERY repetive, doesn't mix things up
There are only so many fighting moves you can do, overall the whole game gets repetitive
No indication on how many activities you have left or how much time is left during your workout, found this annoying especially if you have something to do
Trainers voice gets annoying after awhile as well
Graphics are so so, nothing amazing.
I haven't played multiplayer but from what I gather its taking turns, not simulataneous.

Gameplay
The game does teach you fighting moves which is cool, however its only a trainer, hence why I stated for my title it is what it claims. I would think you would be able to fight against other UFC people, but you only get to hit their mitts which I found really annoying, it's like you want to use your newly found moves to kick some butt and all you can do is hit padded mitts.
There are only a few things in the game, I went through the activities, which only had 4. One was a do your own thing with a heavy bag, this is where I tested out what moves it was detecting. I was able to see the difference between elbowing and a jab, a hook, kneeing, and kicking. It does not detect any head movement though, I tried headbutting like Fighters Uncaged, but no good.
The other was training with a UFC fighter, but its just mitt pads, a speed bag and some tire thing which I found really dumb. You basically squat down for a few seconds and a tire gets pushed up, then when you stand up it bounces off the fence. I'd rather just do squats.
It seems the developer spent a lot of time in this category. It detects floor activities flawlessly for the most part. It is highly accurate as well when doing fighting combos, as in if you punch with the wrong arm, it lets you know. Overall, I'm impressed with the accuracy they are getting out of kinect.

Conclusion
Overall it's not a bad game, but they could of added so much more. It's cool for some fighting moves but I was hoping after you learn the real deal, you were able to test it out on some UFC people, but is just a training game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustration 101, 17 Jan. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This game promises so much and I spent a long time looking at reviews before buying but I'm regretting my purchase. I'd hoped to find a game that would get me moving and be an enjoyable way to prevent the winter fat building up any more. I'd heard that many of the technical problems that plagued the game were supposed to have been fixed with a patch last year, so I went ahead and bought it. However, I'm regretting doing so.

Pros:
1) It gets you off the sofa and moving when it's cold outside

2) If you can stick with it you will build a bit of strength/lose weight.

3) There are loads of exercises.

4) If you're into UFC, you can 'train' with some of the pro trainers.

Cons:
1) Around a 30% of the exercises just don't work properly. I could forgive this occasionally, but lost reps happen with alarming regularity. It frequently loses me when I'm doing pressups, despite several attempts to reposition the camera. Nothing is more frustrating when you have a sweat on than have to stop when you've got 10 seconds left to point out that I haven't suddenly morphed into someone else or run away.

2) The kinect has trouble tracking your movements if you're carrying weights. Many of the exercises which didn't work properly when I was carrying weights (regular metal dumbells) suddenly started working when I put the weights to one side. Great.

3) If you happen to step away from the kinect for a second (to have a drink), it pauses the whole game and doesn't always sign you in automatically and properly when you return. Twice during long workouts, it's had a fit and dumped me at the main menu losing all my progress.

4) It offers NO feedback as to the form of the excercises you are doing. It says "yes" or "no". Not getting it right? It could be your form, it could be the duff kinect tracking. You have to guess and end up doing EVEN more reps.

Hopefully in UFC trainer 2, they will have ironed out some of the technical problems properly. In the meantime, my advice is to save your money and just go for a few runs when the weather is warmer again. I wouldn't spend more than a tenner on this game.

UFC Personal Trainer - Kinect Required (Xbox 360)