Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

on 11 September 2013
I brought the PowerBee, Executive Solar charger, as I was going to watch the Grand Prix in Spa and thought it’s going to be long days and will need to recharge my phone at some point. I charged the item via the plug and when fully charged it charged 2.5 IPhone 5's my friends where really impressed and jealous Lol!

I also broke down in my car and realised I had no charge in my iPhone 5 or the solar power charger (and the car had completely died so I could not charge it from the car) PANIC!!! But luckily I had my PowerBee , Executive Solar charger, placed it at 45 degrees as it states and got some power back in my phone to call the RAC I was so lucky I had it with me that day so I am very impressed with this item and would definitely recommend.
Please note it does not come with an iPhone 5 adaptor, so I just used my cable that came with the phone as it has a USB slot.

It is the size of an iPhone, black with silver edges, light and comes with a black case and nearly every connector you would need.

This is my first solar charger so I can’t compare it to others but so far so good!! :)
on 9 March 2015
I bought two of these for use in the jungle in the Philippines April 2014. They arrived speedily but one was broken and refused to charge from USB or solar. Called Powerbee, sent it back, replacement sent out immediately. From a full mains/USB charge the Powerbee can easily charge an iphone but once the Powerbee had run out of power no amount of UK sunshine, tilting it towards the sun, could get the unit to charge to more than 50%. This was on both units i have. Not dispondant I took them out to the Philippines where the sunshine is 35 degrees and constant overhead for 10 hours a day in April. On the first day the sun was so powerful it melted one of the units. On the second day I tried to the other unit but didn't leave it in midday sunshine - verdict - it still wouldn't charge more than 75% and then it would go down to zero before fully charging an iPhone 4. Both units went in the bin - useless for an expedition where there was no electricity. These are great if you only want to charge them off mains and use them like a spare battery, not so great if you actually need solar power as nothing else available.
on 11 July 2013
I have read other reviews on this product, they are predominantly positive. Like some other reviewers I received a less than satisfactory product. I ordered an executive model and received the basic model without instructions. I believed that due to the way that it was packaged the instructions were on the side of the box. The product developed a fault on charging. I rang the company and had the misfortune to speak to Nathan. He was curt and mildly threatening informing me that I may suffer 'serious consequences' if the engineer found fault with the returned product.
I was quite alarmed by his conduct. Nathan you need some training in this important part of your business.
To top it all they replaced the product and had the temerity to inform me that they gave me an upgrade when in fact it was the product I ordered in the first place.
I have not tested the product yet but woe betide anybody who has a query with this product.
on 14 June 2013
Plus side is it looks good

Negative side is that is does not work

Nath at their after sales team is the most patronising moron I have ever been contacted by.

Their advice is to keep the battery topped up via USB to your laptop... so it is not a 'Solar Charger' after all!

Do not buy

Walk away

Dont waste your money

Amazon should seriously review using this company as their product is dire. Its a shame as I love Amazon and never had such a poor experience as I have had with this
on 21 June 2013
In a lot of ways this is a pretty good device. It has a good battery capacity, and it has enough juice to recharge my phone a couple of times before recharging. If you charge it from the USB then it is fine as a portable charging device.

The downside, is that it is very poor as a solar charger. Even in the sunniest conditions it takes at least a week to charge to even half full, I've never tried to charge it fully from the sun, because I don't have the patience. I'm guessing that the solar panel just isn't large enough to provide much power to the battery.

Another couple of things this could do with is some sort of stand so you can position it to the sun. And a wriststrap would be nice as well, not least so you could hang it on something.

So in short, if you are looking for a portable charger, and you only want to charge it from a USB port, then this will serve you just fine. If however, you are looking for a solar charger, then avoid this, because it's pretty useless at that function, unless you don't mind waiting a week to get a usable charge!
on 9 August 2015
Took a bit of trial and error due to the less than helpful instructions, but once I'd discovered that the red light incorporated into the DC input socket illuminates when it is charging, I was able to put it in the prime position to capture the best light. Obviously charges more quickly in bright sun, but will also work in cloud - just make sure the red charging light is on!
on 9 July 2012
I have had the Powerbee Executive Solar Phone Charger for just over a month now and am delighted with it. I get just what I wanted from it - a flexable charger that will charge most, if not all, of my portable devices away from home and usable power sources.
I was impressed to find that it charged my Ipad 1 to 60/70 % allowing me to finish what I was doing at the same speed the mains would. I already have a range of adapters and added to those provides gives me with the flexibility of charging/topping up almost everything.

I do like the ability to charge up from the mains (or via USB)and it takes less time than I would have thought. Using the Solar does take much longer of course and the PV imput values reflect this. That said, during the grey days(and frequently wet) of June using purely solar - it took around 2 days to charge to 75% and then almost another 6 Days to bring it to 100% In daylight terms around 36 - 48 Hours of averageness - but it is a sizable 3500 mAh battery its charging. In days of good sunlight it must take less time of course - but how much........?

Over all, I will rarely need to charge it up to 100% purely using Solar PV - and if I do - I know it will do it, albeit not a quickly as one would want - but it should be able to provide enough power to keep you going.

If you are going to use both Solar and Grid to charge it, and solar to keep it topped up, for spare/reserve power on the move - its the gadget for you and you will not be disappointed.
on 18 April 2013
i got this solar powere pack so that i could keep my phone charged when trekking in nepal so i could take pictures, before i left i tried it without charging and it filled my phone with 2 bars of power remaining, i then used my computer to top it back up so i was ready to go. When i first used it to charge my phone it was fine, however when i tried to solar charge it it didnt work at all. Totally put me off a solar powered charger and i wouldnt buy another one until the technology moves forward.
on 5 July 2015
I live in England - don't know what I was thinking getting a solar powered phone charger!

Getting it to full charge via the sun seems near impossible. I don't use this anymore - bought a EasyAcc power charger which is quality. Had me sorted for a good 6 or so charges at music festival which is the most I will probably ever need.
on 16 July 2012
I bought this power pack for a holiday in Greece. The solar panel was a bonus really as what I was looking for was a high capacity power pack, having found that the standard ones a little too small for the needs of my HTC EVO 3D smart phone. It soon became apparent however that the solar panel was a real benefit.

I took the charger out to Greece fully charged and every night left it on the balcony so that it got sun from sunrise to when we left the apartment for the day, usually about four to five hours. My phone generally needed to be attached to the unit for the evening Facebook session, sharing photos of my day and catching up with news from home, as the battery is usually only about 20% charged by then. I generally had the phone connected to the unit for about an hour, during which time the phone was in constant use and I ended up with more power in the battery than at the start! I did recharge the power pack from the mains once, but this was only after a couple of consecutive early starts meant that it had only had a couple of hours in the early morning in the sun.

All in all, a useful piece of kit and great value. I am looking forward to using it at a couple of festivals later in the year.