I bought the Powerbee Executive prior to Glastonbury 2011 to keep two phones (HTC HD7 & Xperia X10 Mini Pro) going.
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by MrColobus

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin
Published on 10 April 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin, 10 April 2012
This review is from: PowerBee ® Executive Solar Phone Charger for iPhone 2G 3G 3Gs 4, and nearly all handhelds in the UK including Samsung Galaxy s, HTC desire, Ipods, PSP's, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, Tom Tom, mp3 players, and many more.. (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Its hard to say if this charger is good or not, I'm kind of in the middle at the moment, on the good side it looks great being simialar in size shape and overall look to an iphone, it arrived quickily and was fully charged on arrival, i used it to charge my HTC sensation xl from flat which it did easily, i then used it to charge my wifes phone as well which it did before the charger itself then ran flat. It also come with loads of adapters for different phones and devices which is ace.

Now for the problem part, once it ran flat I decided to test how long it would take to fully re-charge from flat on solar power alone. Its been 3 weeks now and its still only 3 quarters charged and doesn't look like it will ever make it to fully charged without being plugged into the mains. You also have to bear in mind that this 3 week period covers the really hot weeks we had in the UK over march when temperatures during the day were in the 20's, in addition I put it in my kitchen window which is south facing and gets the sun all day, in other words probably the most optimal conditions you can get to charge it with solar power and it still hasnt managed a full charge. Over and above this the bulk of the charging took place on the really sunny days (you can check with the led charge indicator) on the days at the start and the end of the 3 weeks when it was cooler and over cast the device hardly picked up any charge at all. I even tried putting it outside thinking maybe my k glass windows were blocking the uv light it needs to charge but this didnt make any difference.

In short the decice is great for re-charging your phone when out and about and in this respect is really usefull, just dont think of it is a solar charger that can re-charge itself using sunlight alone in a few hours, thats never going to happen. I think its probably best to think of this device as a portable power source for your phone that is charged off the mains/usb but can also be topped up with solar power if needed, do this and you wont go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept two smart phones running through 5 days at the Glastonbury Festival, 20 Mar 2012
MrColobus (Rochester, UK) - See all my reviews
At the start of the five days I made sure it was fully charged by USB in the car on the Wednesday morning, I left it in the sun when at our tent or sitting around and then topped up our phones each night. We did turn off unnecessary data usage to conserve power but I was still impressed that this charger had sufficient capacity with top ups from the sun to keep both phones running for five days.

With subsequent useage I've found that it can recharge my HTC HD7 almost twice over from a full charge making it an excellent backup power source.

With regards to solar charging it does require outdoor sunlight for at least a day for a full charge, but this is no more than is claimed, or than I would expect. If you aim to charge from USB when you can and then keep it topped up in the sun then I think you'll be very pleased. However if you buy this with the intention of solely powering your phone from the sun then you have unrealistic expectations and will be disappointed.

Overall I believe this an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well with my Iphone!, 28 Mar 2011
I got this as wanted something I could use when camping. It works really well charging up from sunlight. But I've found I can also charge it up before I go away for short trips from my computer. Once it's charged it's got enough charge in it to charge up my Iphone a couple of times. ( I know it says all this in the instructions but I hadn't appreciated fully what this thing can do).

THe solar charger is Iphone sized, but a bit thicker and heavier. The black leather case supplied is good quality and has a separate pocket for the cable and your preferred adaptor.

I bought the charger from Powerbee Ltd - and received it 2 days later.

So, all in all, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 13 April 2011
I was looking at buying a solar charger for quiet a while and I noticed power bee had the best one for my price and most of all it holds quiet a lot of charge.
It looks like an iPhone 3GS which is a good thing it looks nice and holds a charge well and I use it as back up at night when I have no charge left in my phone. I normally charge it from the window and yes it does take longer to charge but that's understandable but over all worth buying :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, 16 July 2012
I bought this power pack for a holiday in Greece. The solar panel was a bonus really as what I was looking for was a high capacity power pack, having found that the standard ones a little too small for the needs of my HTC EVO 3D smart phone. It soon became apparent however that the solar panel was a real benefit.

I took the charger out to Greece fully charged and every night left it on the balcony so that it got sun from sunrise to when we left the apartment for the day, usually about four to five hours. My phone generally needed to be attached to the unit for the evening Facebook session, sharing photos of my day and catching up with news from home, as the battery is usually only about 20% charged by then. I generally had the phone connected to the unit for about an hour, during which time the phone was in constant use and I ended up with more power in the battery than at the start! I did recharge the power pack from the mains once, but this was only after a couple of consecutive early starts meant that it had only had a couple of hours in the early morning in the sun.

All in all, a useful piece of kit and great value. I am looking forward to using it at a couple of festivals later in the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars wast of money, 17 Jun 2014
did not charge by solar and a full charge off mains just drained it for 10% battery charge useless waste of money

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a spare battery, slow solar, 28 Feb 2014
Works well as a battery, can fully charge an iPhone or Blackberry with charge to spare. Solar charging can be slow though as it's not a huge solar panel. Bright direct sunlight (i.e. Not behind a window) charges gradually, so works more as a wilderness emergency back up rather than a daily charger. No way you can get that much power from a small solar panel unfortunately.

Highly recommended for camping/wilderness emergency backups!

1.0 out of 5 stars very Disappointed, 26 Feb 2014
Very disappointed, this charger is advertised primarily as a solar charger, and that is the reason I purchased it.
Yes, it works fine if mains charged, no question.I took it with me to India and Sri-Lanka, as I knew I would be on the move, and it doesn't get much hotter or sunnier than there.I never managed to get more than 2/3 charge,even after 4 days in the sun, not enough to charge my phone or tablet, utter waste of money, not suitable for purpose, to add insult to injury,the connector for my samsung tablet didnt fit, although I was told that it should.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy gear, 3 Aug 2013
I've only had this for less then a week and found it DOSEN'T recharge my phone despite having the correct connecter, but it does charge my PSP but not my PSVita (possible that it might be because of how different the vita is to other handhelds).

The most dodgiest thing i've found however, is that after being in day/sunlight all day and find out instead of staying about the same or more charge it got LESS charge.

Avoid if you only want a solar charger, because it's more like a battery pack as the solar aspect is pretty useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Customer service, 11 July 2013
I have read other reviews on this product, they are predominantly positive. Like some other reviewers I received a less than satisfactory product. I ordered an executive model and received the basic model without instructions. I believed that due to the way that it was packaged the instructions were on the side of the box. The product developed a fault on charging. I rang the company and had the misfortune to speak to Nathan. He was curt and mildly threatening informing me that I may suffer 'serious consequences' if the engineer found fault with the returned product.
I was quite alarmed by his conduct. Nathan you need some training in this important part of your business.
To top it all they replaced the product and had the temerity to inform me that they gave me an upgrade when in fact it was the product I ordered in the first place.
I have not tested the product yet but woe betide anybody who has a query with this product.