on 4 March 2014
I bought these to go into a surround sound system, choosing them over the A25s for the extra bass watching films and playing games.

First impressions out of the box were that they were huge, much bigger than my previous Tannoy F1s, it's understandable with the big 6.5" drivers, and I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find quality speakers with such large drivers at this price point (currently £140 while I'm writing). After a little bedding in their size seems more normal but do seriously consider the A25s if you're tight on space. The finish was also of a high standard, could be better but at the price more than satisfactory, and no QC issues.

Hooked up to a Denon AVRX-2000 and matched with the Boston centre A225 and a Wharfedale SW150 sub to make a 3.1 system currently. Performance on films and games is good, the bass is so strong the subwoofer has almost become redundant except on the most explosive sections. Detail is also strong and I find that I can pick up more background noise than before (in a good way), walking down the street on GTAV I can pick up all the pedestrian chatter and other smaller details in perfect clarity.

I'm no audiophile nut although I have appreciated better quality audio equipment for a while now, and despite having these hooked up to an AV amp rather than a pure stereo amp, these speakers sound great playing music in stereo, at least as good as anything that I have heard, and indeed my only reservation in recommending these would be that I haven't heard enough of the competition. Ideally audition lots of other speakers, but definitely have these in a list to listen to, and to be honest I seriously doubt there would be many disappointed by these in a blind buy.

Edit: Since the first review I bought a proper stereo set up, had these hooked up as a stop gap to a cyrus integrated amp from the top of that catagory, and they didn't disappoint, produced a good clean sound where it was easy to pick out detail. They don't match up to their replacements (monitor silver floorstanders) but at a fraction of the price they were by no means put to shame. Now as part of a full 5.1 setup with a25 rears, still doing a good job, have had several moments when sound from films and tv has gotten a proper reaction from me, big explosions and sudden loud noises etc.
on 24 March 2016
These are fantastic speakers. ive had them a little while now and i cant fault them without being very very nitpicky. solid low end extension, pretty detailed highs and mid, deal well going loud. work for most types of music. i listen to alot of different types of music and i really havent found any genre that sounds bad on them but the only thing i would say about them is some people might think they sound "too clinical" which i understand in some lo-fi punk music where the recording should sound a little bit grittier.

over all very good speakers and its a shame that boston acoustics dont sell speakers in the uk anymore though. so buy these while they are going cheap
on 4 April 2014
Theses speakers sound as good as they look. I don't belive you can get more speaker for the money. They are a little on the large side but soon I had them mounted I was over it.

See one answered question