Size: 2 oz|Change

Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being prone to itchy mozzy bites I have tried and tested a few repellants over the years. This one was quite a good all-rounder

This turned up just in time for my trip to the Med a few days ago and having just purchased another make I thought it would be good for a compare and contrast.Whilst the season for mozzys has only just begun, they are around and they are just as hungry.

The tube is easy to keep hold of even when your hands are slick and is secured with a twist top cap. In the warmer temperature the lotion becomes a little thinner so some care is needed when squeezing the tube if your don't want an overload. The instructions and warnings are written in a very small font, but there is the usual warning about not getting it into eyes, avoid contact with certain surface textures. It claims to be safe if getting it onto some fabrics and advises not to apply under clothing. It also says it is safe for children over 6 months.

The lotion is a white colour and applies easily to the skin. It doesn't immediately soak up and a small amount spreads easily. There is a slightly oily texture to the skin and I had a feeling that it would remain greasy and shiny, but whilst a very slight shine to the skin remains, the lotion does soak in and dry. You are left with only a slightly noticeable residue on the skin which completely disappears after about 10 mins. My fingers remained slightly oily, but that is probably down to the fact that they had repeated applications as I applied the lotion.

The smell is not unpleasant or overpowering and when dry, unless you put your nose to your skin, you wouldn't know you had it on.

The first night away I used the lotion on my arms legs and face. I woke up in the morning with a bite developing on my neck - the one exposed place I forgot to lotion up!
Second and third day/night I applied it all over exposed parts properly and remained bite free. On the forth day I found a bite developing on my ankle.

So 4 days away and 1 bite that got through the lotion - I am not complaining, I have certainly had worse with more expensive repellants. I have yet to find one that guarantees a bite free day and night, but this lotion seems to be about as good as you can get without the toxic smell or wastage of a spray. I will be happy to convert over to this product in favour of my usual spray.
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2011
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was going to save this for going on holiday but decided to use it at night after being bitten a few times. The actual cream is a nice consistancy, not oily and easy to rub in. There is only an initial faint smell but this goes when you put it on your skin.

I have not had any bites since I have used it so can only presume it works!

Only a small issue but because it contains deet, it puts me off using a lot of it too regularly. You can forget this and slather it on liberally too often so something to remember.
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is great. The tube is not as big as I thought it would be but lasted well for a week away for 2 of us. Use it sparingly and it does not smell, works very well to keep bites away and is not smudgy or greasy.

No complaints. Well worth it.
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is an alternative to traditional deet-based sprays used in the tropics to ward off mosquitoes and other biting insects, where it's vital to reduce the risk of malaria, dengue, yellow fever and other life-threatening mosquito-transmitted diseases.

The product claims that a time-release ingredient enables `a lower percentage of deet to be used,' but the tube labelling gives no indication of exactly what this percentage is supposed to be, only that it is of `tropical strength'. It's also recommended as a repellent to less lethal biting insects common in the summers of northern Europe/North America. Users might bear in mind that deet in any concentration is mildly toxic, irritant to the eyes and harmful if accidentally swallowed; so think about this before slapping it on liberally, and consider instead a less toxic petroleum-based repellent in environments where bites might be irritant only but without serious pathogenic risk.

The white-cream-in-a-squeeze-tube is better than a spray in that none goes to waste, but you need to ensure you cover all exposed areas. The product claims each application is effective for at least 12 hours and is also water-resistant, so this could be useful and confers another advantage over sprays (which are generally not water-resistant).

Overall: good for the tropics, but perhaps too potentially toxic to use as a regular insect repellent in temperate regions with no malarial risk. Occasional use on a camping trip, however, should be OK.
on 25 August 2012
My poor wife was bitten so many times there was hardly a space between them.
This product worked extremely well not only did it give my wife relief from being bitten so much,
but it gave her body a chance to recover, and the antihistamine to work as well.
If it's good enough for Ray Mears then it's good for us.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2011
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I`ve been using this while gardening and have had no bites or nasties bothering me! Normally I keep my ankles covered to garden as I am prone to bites but today decided to give this product a real test by going out in just sandals, and my clothes of course. The instructions are clearly printed on the tube and easy to follow, as with most insect repellants there is a bit of a smell but it wasn`t long lasting on the skin. The product did not stain clothing or irritate my skin at all. I would recommend it.
on 19 June 2013
Bought this to take to Crete, and it certainly did the job of keeping off the mozzies; in 8 days I only had 3 bites, and I think they were on areas which I hadn't sprayed.
Used it in conjunction with the spray, in fact probably used th espray more, but even so, it worked very well.
I would say though, as obviously it;s got DEET in, that you need to be careful when applying to sensitive areas - lips, eyelids etc - as I did find it stung a bit, for a short time. Probably not suitable for small children on that basis, but we didn't have any, so not a problem.
Otherwise, worth every penny, and would definitely recommend it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2011
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do not agree with some reviewers who say it is greasy it is a cream that does disperse and much better than using an aerosol.
I was a bit concerned about using the chemical DEET but this contains less than some other products and is still very effective.
I will buy more of this product
on 3 November 2012
Took a tube of this to Siem Riep in Cambodia, and used it on exposed arms/ankles, whenever I knew I'd be outside at dusk/night or in rural areas. I also used a citronella spray, body wash and deodorant day and night. I suffered no insect bites in 10 days, but to be honest, very few of our large group were bitten, so can't say I've proved the effectiveness of either the Ultrathon or citronella.

Pros: Had more confidence in the Ultrathon than the citronella products.. for no logical reason. Virtually no smell, applies like a factor 50 suncream, with no waste, or danger of breathing-in spray. Citronella spray had much a stronger, but not wholly unpleasant, lemony smell.

Cons: Found myself reaching for the citronella spray more often, as it was quicker and easier to apply, especially in hard-to-reach areas like my back. The citronella spray contained no DEET, so I had no qualms about spraying near shoes/clothes. On one occasion, I did find the Ultrathon stung my slightly sunburnt face, so washed it off immediately.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2011
Size: 2 oz|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife and I normally use a spray protection which is quite wasteful as it goes over everything, gets lost in the air and leaves us both coughing uncontrollably !! (So we were looking for a new product anyway)
This, being a cream, doesn't do that. The smell is not unpleasant and a little does go quite a long way.
I can only assume that it works as we have had no bites and normally my wife especially is quite prone to them !!
On that basis I am quite happy to give this product five stars