5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - virtually no smell
This is great. The tube is not as big as I thought it would be but lasted well for a week away for 2 of us. Use it sparingly and it does not smell, works very well to keep bites away and is not smudgy or greasy.

No complaints. Well worth it.
Published on 14 May 2011 by Dr. D. E. Goldwater

3.0 out of 5 stars Found a degree of Allergy and not as effective as hoped
The product arrived in a timely manner, and we took it with us on holiday where mosquitoes were abundant. When not used I had more bites than when used, but never entirely bite free so not totally effective.
Published 19 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - virtually no smell, 14 May 2011
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

No complaints. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good all rounder, 27 April 2011
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being prone to itchy mozzy bites I have tried and tested a few repellants over the years. This one was quite a good all-rounder

This turned up just in time for my trip to the Med a few days ago and having just purchased another make I thought it would be good for a compare and contrast.Whilst the season for mozzys has only just begun, they are around and they are just as hungry.

The tube is easy to keep hold of even when your hands are slick and is secured with a twist top cap. In the warmer temperature the lotion becomes a little thinner so some care is needed when squeezing the tube if your don't want an overload. The instructions and warnings are written in a very small font, but there is the usual warning about not getting it into eyes, avoid contact with certain surface textures. It claims to be safe if getting it onto some fabrics and advises not to apply under clothing. It also says it is safe for children over 6 months.

The lotion is a white colour and applies easily to the skin. It doesn't immediately soak up and a small amount spreads easily. There is a slightly oily texture to the skin and I had a feeling that it would remain greasy and shiny, but whilst a very slight shine to the skin remains, the lotion does soak in and dry. You are left with only a slightly noticeable residue on the skin which completely disappears after about 10 mins. My fingers remained slightly oily, but that is probably down to the fact that they had repeated applications as I applied the lotion.

The smell is not unpleasant or overpowering and when dry, unless you put your nose to your skin, you wouldn't know you had it on.

The first night away I used the lotion on my arms legs and face. I woke up in the morning with a bite developing on my neck - the one exposed place I forgot to lotion up!
Second and third day/night I applied it all over exposed parts properly and remained bite free. On the forth day I found a bite developing on my ankle.

So 4 days away and 1 bite that got through the lotion - I am not complaining, I have certainly had worse with more expensive repellants. I have yet to find one that guarantees a bite free day and night, but this lotion seems to be about as good as you can get without the toxic smell or wastage of a spray. I will be happy to convert over to this product in favour of my usual spray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tube but make sure you read the small print!, 16 May 2011
Goodenough4me (England UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was going to save this for going on holiday but decided to use it at night after being bitten a few times. The actual cream is a nice consistancy, not oily and easy to rub in. There is only an initial faint smell but this goes when you put it on your skin.

I have not had any bites since I have used it so can only presume it works!

Only a small issue but because it contains deet, it puts me off using a lot of it too regularly. You can forget this and slather it on liberally too often so something to remember.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to do the trick, 28 May 2011
Grr "Gumbo" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just got back from a holiday in Florida where we checked out a lot of the swamp lands and park lands. Therefore we were deep in mozzie heaven, as such this product got plenty of use over the fortnight!

I'm quite lucky in that I rarely seem to get insect bites but my partner is prone to bites all year around so she was naturally very happy to try anything that might save her the endless itches and angry red marks she usually brings home from our holidays.

I'm happy to report that, using this product throughout our break, we recorded just three mild bites between us. Considering the amount of mosquitoes and other assorted bugs that were about we felt this was a pretty good result. Especially as the couple we went with, who decided to use a different product (I did offer them use of the ultrathon!) ended up with several nasty bites each.

As we got a few bites, I can't give this five stars but given the conditions we were in, I was certainly happy with the performance of this product and will continue to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin er tube, 18 May 2011
Tramps like us "Guitar bass and drums" (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife and I normally use a spray protection which is quite wasteful as it goes over everything, gets lost in the air and leaves us both coughing uncontrollably !! (So we were looking for a new product anyway)
This, being a cream, doesn't do that. The smell is not unpleasant and a little does go quite a long way.
I can only assume that it works as we have had no bites and normally my wife especially is quite prone to them !!
On that basis I am quite happy to give this product five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultrathon Fantastic product !, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion (Garden & Outdoors)
My poor wife was bitten so many times there was hardly a space between them.
This product worked extremely well not only did it give my wife relief from being bitten so much,
but it gave her body a chance to recover, and the antihistamine to work as well.
If it's good enough for Ray Mears then it's good for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 28 April 2011
T. Curry "Crazy Curry" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I`ve been using this while gardening and have had no bites or nasties bothering me! Normally I keep my ankles covered to garden as I am prone to bites but today decided to give this product a real test by going out in just sandals, and my clothes of course. The instructions are clearly printed on the tube and easy to follow, as with most insect repellants there is a bit of a smell but it wasn`t long lasting on the skin. The product did not stain clothing or irritate my skin at all. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to deet sprays for the tropics, but use sparingly in regions of low malarial risk, 8 May 2011
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is an alternative to traditional deet-based sprays used in the tropics to ward off mosquitoes and other biting insects, where it's vital to reduce the risk of malaria, dengue, yellow fever and other life-threatening mosquito-transmitted diseases.

The product claims that a time-release ingredient enables `a lower percentage of deet to be used,' but the tube labelling gives no indication of exactly what this percentage is supposed to be, only that it is of `tropical strength'. It's also recommended as a repellent to less lethal biting insects common in the summers of northern Europe/North America. Users might bear in mind that deet in any concentration is mildly toxic, irritant to the eyes and harmful if accidentally swallowed; so think about this before slapping it on liberally, and consider instead a less toxic petroleum-based repellent in environments where bites might be irritant only but without serious pathogenic risk.

The white-cream-in-a-squeeze-tube is better than a spray in that none goes to waste, but you need to ensure you cover all exposed areas. The product claims each application is effective for at least 12 hours and is also water-resistant, so this could be useful and confers another advantage over sprays (which are generally not water-resistant).

Overall: good for the tropics, but perhaps too potentially toxic to use as a regular insect repellent in temperate regions with no malarial risk. Occasional use on a camping trip, however, should be OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is excellent, 1 Aug 2011
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do not agree with some reviewers who say it is greasy it is a cream that does disperse and much better than using an aerosol.
I was a bit concerned about using the chemical DEET but this contains less than some other products and is still very effective.
I will buy more of this product

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion (Garden & Outdoors)
I have been using this product for several years now and it seems to work for me. Having suffered abroad on holiday with mosquito bites in the past this product has greatly reduced the number of bites on each holiday. Its not a 100% guarantee but the best I have found so far.

3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion