4.0 out of 5 stars Good Device, Slight Flaw
Published on 10 Aug. 2011 by S. D. Rush

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced. Not fully functional
The product itself is deserving of 3 stars, 4 if it worked properly but it looses 1 for lack of testing and 1 for it's ridiculous price.

Published on 7 Dec. 2011 by Copey

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Device, Slight Flaw, 10 Aug. 2011
S. D. Rush "Rushy-fied" (Amazon Rainforest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MagicWand for Apple Magic Trackpad or Wireless Keyboard (Personal Computers)
Good little device, however lost the click function when putting it together when following the instructions (it seems you can click once, but it won't declick). I have resolved this by pulling the H bar that fits between the keyboard and trackpad slightly down and away from the rubber T pad, which leaves a slight gap but is no real eyesore. I bought this so I could use both keyboard and trackpad on my lap at the same time, and the click function doesn't work when the trackpad isn't on a hard surface, so can't mark too unfairly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced. Not fully functional, 7 Dec. 2011

First things first, the magic wand is OK. It's not rubbish but neither is it great. The annoying thing is it could be a really neat bit of kit but is let down by a lack of testing on twelvesouth's part, a ridiculous price and miserly attitude to extra's.

The biggest complaint you'll see on here is that it stops the click function on the the touchpad. Why? Attaching the Magic Wand to the keyboard and touchpad lifts the back up slightly increasing the angle at which the front meets the desk. Completely unnoticeable, except that the two devices are now supported on their front edge and NOT the little rubber feet on the bottom. Not a big deal for the keyboard, but completely eliminating the click ability on the touch pad. Twlevesouth would have noticed this if they'd attempted to use to product even once, more likely they did notice and didn't care.
This can easily be solved by sticking a little rubber pad to each of the 4 feet like these:
[...]
but twelvesouth haven't bothered because they'd rather keep the 2p that would have cost them.

Secondly, when you pick up the assembled keyboard and pad occasionally the separator bar can fall out, easily solved with sticky tape. But why not provide a single sticky pad with the product to solve the problem? Because it would cost an extra penny is, I believe, the answer.

Finally the price. At most this is worth £10 and thats if they (easily) solve the problems mentioned above. an RRP of £30 is obscene, £17 is not much better. Once theres a cheap knock-off available it will force twelvesouth to lower there price to something approaching sensible. Until then it's supply and demand, they are the only company making a product like this that I've seen so they can charge what they like.

2.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Review, 4 Nov. 2013
I have owned this product for just over 2 years and can hopefully provide some insight as to how the product performs in the longer term.

The Good
* I love the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad - This does allow them to remain linked and for this it is brilliant.

The Bad
* Price - It is a little expensive for what it really is - A piece of plastic and a rubber separator.
* I have managed to lose the rubber separator that sits between the Keyboard and Trackpad - However, it is not really essential.
* The item has now started cracking at the rear. Despite the fact that I use it in a lenient environment (a home office)
* Twelve South only offer a 1 year warranty.

I am giving it only 2 Stars because it is disintegrating - Otherwise I would have given it 4 stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor service & I have no idea what the product is like., 24 Oct. 2013
I ordered the Magic wand as there was no alternative option as to how I could attach my trackpad to my keyboard.
I took on board the fact that it was grossly over priced. When I pay for something that I know is way too expensive I convince myself that I am paying for the service element rather than the actual product.For example afternoon tea at the Ritz.
Back to the Magic wand,firstly they took forever to send it.Next,I had no idea that it had been sent.FFS how complicated is it to send a dispatch email?
Next; I got completely the wrong item.It was something to do with calibrating digital lenses.
Trying to return the incorrect product/ notify Amazon & others? Have you tried it?
Ok fast forward another 24hrs - finally made contact,then they didn't read the simple 3 line email I sent & answer my question- how do I get a replacement?
You have to re order & pay for another whilst waiting for a refund on the first incorrect item!!
Ok ; new item ordered . 48hrs later it is STILL showing not dispatched.
No emails,nothing,zilch,
I am sure the magic wand will connect my trackpad to the keyboard but I am not in the least bit sure when this momentous occasion will take place.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.., 23 July 2011
D. Randall (Cambs, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this in order to connect my trackpad to my keyboard but the strip down the middle seems to completely mess up the click function on the trackpad. I connected the trackpad and keyboard before installing them and then spent a REALLY frustrating hour wondering why my trackpad wouldnt click in order to adjust any settings. I thought I'd bought a dud trackpad before I realised that the wand joining strip stops the click button on the bottom of the trackpad from being depressed so you have to activate the 'tap to click' function or pull the trackpad out of the middle joining strip which seems to render it pretty pointless as it then flaps about next to the keyboard when its on your lap and not flat on a desk..maybe its something I'm doing wrong but I've tried reassembling it all several times and no joy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 4 Sept. 2011
Bought this because I wanted to keep my magic trackpad and wireless keyboard together, like we all do. It does the job, and allows you to click with the trackpad unlike some reviews have stated.

It looks like it was made with the other components in mind but the only thing disappointing was that it's not aluminum or any meta its a plastic rail, which feels a bit cheap for the price. But the only thing that does the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea, 12 Sept. 2011
Its a good idea and does the job of joining trackpad to keyboard, but its expensive - especially when one of the rubber feet fell off after a week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth design, 26 April 2011
Ian Summers (UK) - See all my reviews
When I first acquired an Apple Trackpad I found it awkward moving two pieces of hardware around on the desk. This brilliant but simple piece of kit connects keyboard and trackpad together into one item. It continues with Apple's sleek and unobtrusive design and works very well although the price does make it an extravagance, but, if you like quality, go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea suffers in details, 1 Sept. 2012
Turning off whatever device is placed on the left is an issue as you should slide it apart to access power button. Then you should re-position the small bumper parts between keyboard and touch pad. The upper rubber part looses its curved form after a short time and keeps popping up.
Minor issues of course, the major task is well accomplished.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic?, 23 Dec. 2011
The item looks impressive when you have finished setting it up. However it took me ages to work out how to fit it onto the keyboard (I found a YouTube video in the end)

It is also slightly expensive for what, at the end of the day, is just a piece of plastic. However, it does look good.