Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£0.99

on 8 May 2014
Different from the style of previous Mrs Oliphant novels that I have read, and an excellent novelist exposes the hypocrisies and pretensions of the aristocracy - and the labouring classes too - with light humour. Much to be recommended.
on 10 July 2015
BEWARE!!! The edition I have just purchased, as illustrated above, orange flower on cover, (General Books LLC, Memphis, USA), is INCOMPLETE. It contains Volume One only. I have only given it one star - but this is to show my anger at being conned by Amazon and the publisher. The story is wonderful - another Oliphant masterpiece and happily I have been able to find the remaining chapters elsewhere.
on 15 October 2014
I really enjoyed this. It was a very satisfying and thought provoking read. It was a little like reading Anthony Trollop, but with a lighter touch. Well worth trying if you enjoy Barchester. I shall read some of Margaret Oliphant's other books now as she was new to me but I find there are quite a lot in Kindle format so it will be a treat to look forward to.
on 15 February 2015
A well-written story of an upper-class family brushing with the horrors of socialism! The graciousness of the central mother figure is over-emphasised, in order to justify her privileged position. The roughness of the idealistic socialist and his more practical daughter are similarly dwelt on, so that ones sympathies should be drawn in the right direction. Despite this, the book shows the hypocrisies that underlie the privilege through an interesting story.
on 18 June 2014
I really loved this book. It's a lovely story, with characters you can really feel for, and beautifully written. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 22 September 2014
Shenanigans in the county! Oh my! Lost heir, broken dreams, marital desires thwarted, riches appear, surprise! Happy endings, all is well...the possible tragedies turned into idylls, and money money smooths all paths...oh well...a fun read some lazy afternoon, but Trollope cuts closer to the bone...
on 1 December 2015
A Victorian comedy about what happens when a new and unexpected heir arrives in a family. I didn't enjoy this quite as much as some of Margaret Oliphants Carlingford books but it is an interesting sidelight on Victorian life and anxieties about class, race, radicalism and belonging.
on 11 January 2015
Well written, with a satisfying conclusion. I have to admit that I had not heard of this author before this volume came up on my Kindle suggestions list and the odd title only really makes sense once you have finished it! I am now reading another book by the same author.
on 11 December 2014
I found this a bit 2-dimensional. The characters were very much 'types' rather than living, breathing people. Interesting, but not compelling.
on 5 November 2015
I would have put No stars if that had been available.