Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 December 2011
<World Beat> Some facts you should know. Suns of Arqa have been on the World Beat Music scene since 1979. They played at the very first Womad Music Festival in Shepton Mallet at the personal invitation of Peter Gabriel. Enough said. Having performed over the years at many major European festivals such as Glastonbury, Big Chill, Telerama Dub festival to mention a few, this intriguing outfit are best known for their fusion of Indian music and electro dub. They have always had a strong indigenous element to their compositions. So imagine my surprise when I popped this into the CD player to discover an album of Leonard Cohen cover songs. Sound interesting? Or maybe you're thinking what the heck? Let me tell you Stranger Music is a phenomenal reinterpretation of Leonard Cohen like I've never heard before. Fusing their signature world beat elements, tight electronica and dub with some absolutely gorgeous vocal delivery if I had not known that these were Leonard Cohen covers, I may not have guessed it, such is the magnificent reconstruction of his songs. I cannot recommend this enough for any serious world beat fan. Simply superb.
Reviewed by Dave Mac
on 3 November 2011
I am going to be honest and this could upset loyal devotees of this group . but .. oh my god, it was DREADFUL! For all I know Leonard Cohen could have praised this CD very highly, but I am wondering what he thought deep inside.

Every single song is as the one beore - little or no variation in tune - following the same beat .. boring dull monotonous painful .. aaagggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

I haven't listed the disk 2 .. I can't face it.
I wasted my money and I will give it to a charity shop.

There we are ... review given ....