5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of French film.
BETTY BLUE (or 372 LE MATIN, to give it its original French title) is a film based on a book by Philippe Dijan, and centres around Zorg (Jean-Hugues Anglade), a 30-year-old painter and plumber who has written a novel that keeps being refused by publishers. His girlfriend is the titular Betty (a very good start for Béatrice Dalle), a 19-year-old beauty who has a...
Published on 9 Oct 2006 by Mr. A. T. Whitaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Find the original cut
There is an abiding illusion that Directors know how their movie should be presented and that the Director's Cut is therefore the one to get, the one to wait for. Occasionally perhaps that is true but for other films the studio knew best. This is one of those cases. The film depicts a writer who is becalmed in life until he falls in love with Betty, the muse that will...
Published on 22 July 2010 by Simon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with the Blu Ray version, 20 Jun 2013
Film 5 stars of course. Where can I met a Betty?

Poor quality Blu Ray,grainy. DVD that I have had for years is better and was considerably cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars throw out the old, 28 Jan 2013
Mrs. L. A. G. Andrews (u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Betty Blue (Uncut) [DVD] (DVD)
we just wanted to replace the video copy we had.The film is just the same but I liked it better when I was younger.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hated this film!, 27 Aug 2008
Going against the grain somewhat, I must admit I found this film amazingly irritating!Absolutely stunning in its visuals but the characters are annoyingly contrived and shallow and I was relieved when finally Betty's "madness" led her to a logical conclusion. From what I understand this director was part of the "Cinema du Look" which placed importance on the look of the film over its content. It is undeniably beautiful to look at, but I hated the characters and the stylised feel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably dull & pointless film !, 17 Nov 2009
D. Milner "ginlane" (UK) - See all my reviews
What is the director, Bieneix trying to say in "Betty Blue"? I am not sure. The behavior of the characters is senseless and boring. Frankly I lost interest in Zorg, (The only truly interesting character in the film) because anyone who could tolerate Betty Blue would scarcely have the discrimination to write a good book. One scene follows another senselessly, like in a soap opera, until Betty goes mad and we can go home.
It's a total mystery to me why Zorg wouldn't just dump her! No normal person would put up with her behaviour, it doesn't matter how much you love a person! The fact that he doesn't dump her leads me to the conclusion that he is an idiot as well as Betty!

The amazing thing is, is that this movie has made millions in France, where it will not have escaped anyone's attention that Betty is played by an attractive young woman named Beatrice Dalle, who is naked as often as not. Have you ever had the experience of going to a movie and trying to make sense of the plot, and trying to figure out why anyone has wasted his life and money on the project, only to suddenly have a dazzling insight? That's what happened to me during "Betty Blue." Many people over the years have debated the movie's view of madness, of feminism, of the travail of the artist. They all miss the point. "Betty Blue" is a movie about Beatrice Dalle's boobs and behind, and everything else is just what happens in between the scenes where she displays them.

Overall this film is just plain boring, it doesn't have anything interesting to say, the acting is somewhat poor, it seems hesitant and stilted (partly to do with the bad dubbing I think) and the actions of the characters are preposterous, no one would ever behave like that in real life.
why people like this movie is a complete mystery to me & it certainly shows an unrealistic representation of mental illness.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Betty Blue [Blu-ray] [1986] [US Import]
Betty Blue [Blu-ray] [1986] [US Import] by Jean-Jacques Beineix (Blu-ray - 2011)
17.09