5.0 out of 5 stars A cheaper way to extend your subscription...
Norton want about 60 quid per year for this subscription, so it is much cheaper to buy a new copy of 360 from Amazon than to simply accept the software's prompts to re-subscribe.

Published on 31 Aug 2011 by The Fat Monk

3.0 out of 5 stars Norton 360 Version 4 or 5
Published on 15 April 2011 by Elaine

3.0 out of 5 stars Norton 360 Version 4 or 5, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I'm a fan of Norton 360, having used it for several years without any problems. Installation has always been straight forward providing I used a disc rather than download it from their website, which is more expensive than Amazon anyway, and it provides good all round protection. Howewever, having just installed version 5 because it was cheaper than version 4 when I bought it I am now regretting my decision. I'm not sure why the scanning processess were split but maybe in time I'll find out, and I don't see the point of the Activity Map, Online Family and Safe Web buttons but maybe others do. I'm also having one or two problems - a couple of the scans have frozen and the Gadget is incomplete on my new Windows 7 laptop. Also my partner's laptop running Vista wouldn't shut down after installation. Norton 360 is good but if like me you don't use Facebook (because as far as I can see that is the only useful addition to version 5) and were happy with 360v4 stick with it. I wish I had and may well end up doing so yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheaper way to extend your subscription..., 31 Aug 2011
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Also, if you were using a previous version of 360 and your subscription was current when v5.0 was released, the automatic 'Live Update' feature within 360 will have updated your software to v5.0 already.

So, to extend your subscription for a year for about half the price (it fluctuates on Amazon!) here's the cheapest, simplest way.

1. Buy this from Amazon
2. Open the package, but do not remove the disk (no installation off the disk is needed if you are just renewing).
3. In the Norton 360 interface on one of the 3 PCs you want to subscribe, click on the renew subscription button.
4. There's a box to enter a license key - enter the one inside the new Norton 360 package you just opened, and follow the on screen prompts.
5. Repeat for up to 2 more PCs that you are renewing.

Once this is complete, 360 can run it's Live Update process and get your 360 version and virus definitions up to date and you're all set for another 12 months of protection.

The whole process took just a couple of minutes, then I let Live update run its stuff.

In terms of the new version, some of the graphics have changed a bit, there's a 'world view' of 'real-time' virus activity, but other than that it's pretty much business as usual. If anything this version of 360 maybe seems even less intrusive than previous versions. Of all the AV software I've used, this seem sto be the 'quietest' in terms of affecting system performance. I'm now on my third year of using 360 (on Xp and now Win7) and would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Light on System Resources & Reasonably Priced, 23 Mar 2011
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried Norton Internet Security 2010, I did an upgrade to see if Norton 360 Version 5.0 All-In-One Security is massive improvement. Thankfully, it is.

Norton 360 5.0 provides the user with the quick and easy installation, the previous version is automatically removed.

I have installed Norton 360 5.0 on two desktop PCs and a laptop running Windows 7. I have not observed any system slowdowns - it appears to be light on RAM and CPU cycles.

I'm glad there are less annoying alerts and notification windows*. This was a much needed improvement.

I want to deduct half a star for value/price. This license covers 3 PCs. If you get Vipre Antivirus Premium - Unlimited Home Site License - 1 Year - Full Version you can cover all the PCs in your home; good to share the cost with housemates.

*Whilst Norton is very good, I do prefer Trend Titanium as that doesn't even nag you to say that it needs to update. (It just does it, in the background, automatically)

5.0 out of 5 stars You can teach an old dog new tricks!, 19 Mar 2011
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Norton antivirus software is not something I would have chosen had it not been for a free copy I was given with the Amazon Vine test scheme. To explain that I must add some of my history. I have been a professional programmer for many decades, and have used Norton products since IBM first sold their 8086 powered PC's. In that time Norton went from the best to the slowest most lumbering beasts available, their products almost became unusable as they became software bloated beyond belief.

I use 5 PC's at home, 2 laptops, 2 Desktops, and a netbook, and yes they are all mine. Covering all those PC's with antivirus software does allow the ability to test and explore the capabilites of many products, and although I now don't write virus code to test products (something I did legally as part of my progamming remit), I do take note of usability and speed. I had been using Norton products up untill 5 or so years ago when I changed to such AV products as the many free ones, finally ending up with Kaspersky and the Microsoft Essentials packages. Microsoft Essentials is excellent as a free product, and the Kaspersky 'Pure' suite provides fast and reliable cover with a good front end.

To try Norton 360 version 5.0 I decided to use two machines currently running Microsoft Essentials, those machines being an Advent 4213 net book using Windows XP, and a home built desktop using an AMD Athlon IIx4 with 4gb ram and the latest version of Windows 7.

Before starting I must stress it is important to read the installation instructions that come with Norton 630, this does not take long as there is only a page or so involved, the insructions are brief and to the point, but important.

Starting with the Netbook, this had no CD drive, so I had to use the download option to get the installation files, the speed of this will obviously depend on your internet connection speed. In my case this was not fast due to my connection speed being on a slow 1g connection, but it was painless and one of the easiest downloads of such a product I have encountered in a long time. The installation detected the presence of Microsoft essentials, and prompted for it's removal with all the relevant uninstall boxes appearing as needed. After a reboot, which was fast by the way, I tested Norton by doing a quick scan of the hard disks, i.e. 150GB of various files of all sorts from music, video, text, programs, and photos, the quick scan took 2.5 minutes, with the scan checking 5,417 files. 71 items gave security alerts, these turned out to be tracking cookies I had allowed other AV products to let through. But 0 files actually needed attention. The scan also did a sort of PC tune, removing deleted files from the recycle bin, and other files the scan had decided I did not need any longer. I was slightly upset at this as it did not ask me if I wanted to delete the files, but as I had not checked any of the settings for the scan before hand I should have expected that to be the default behavior.

Previous versions of some Anti-Virus software had caused problems for me in the past with not allowing the use of a NAS drive. Norton had transparently recognised the existance of my NAS drive and set itself up automatically allowing the viewing of everything as it should be.

Norton includes a backup solution, this includes a 'free' 2GB cloud type backup area that for extra money you can expand from the 2GB, I did not test this, but I did test running a backup to the NAS, this worked as expected. Interestingly the backup includes an 'automatic' setting to backup files as they change when the system becomes idle.

To install on the AMD PC, I used the CD. Starting the install software according to the instructions gave a clean timer screen which changed display as appropriate. The CD installation fast and in no way laborious. The whole process only taking a few minutes. There was not the extended download of latest updates required by some installation processes, although AV products are never up-to-date as they come out of the box because of the speed of change and development of viruses and other nasties.

Always, regardless of the product you use, make sure your AV is kept up-to-date, new viruses etc., apear by the minute!

The total install time from the CD only took 2 minutes. A recomendation in itself, however, the CD install did not tell me that there would be a conflict with the copy of Microsoft Essentials installed. This is bad. There should only be one AV product installed on a PC at a time, AV products can fight amonst themselves allowing viruses to sneak in while the fight is going on. I uninstalled Microsoft Essentials manually, and rebooted the PC. The reboot was fast, with none of the delay other and indeed some older versions of Norton AV products have caused. You would hardly know there was an AV product running.

A Quick scan took 57 seconds to cover the files on a 500GB disk, I apologise here as I did not make a note of the number, but the 2 partition drive was approximately one third full.

The actual front end for the product gives a clean unclutted screen, this does not mean there is no functionality, there is masses all accessed via simple click on text options, I do not intend to list it all here, I am not allowed that much space for a review. But the functionally includes amongst the various AV options, backup and system health, both things that normally you have to buy seperatly if you are not happy with the standard offerings of Microsoft.

Overal I was very impressed with this offering from Norton and would wholeheartedly reccomend it, I cannot say how good it is at picking up actual viruses, but it's interface has changed from the old 3 legged dog I remember to that of a young greyhound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent system protection, 27 Mar 2011
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Norton 360 1 year 3 PC edition is more than just an Anti Virus and Firewall package. It has a few other system tools in its armoury. It now has anti identity theft tools, a web site checker tool that warns of scamming sites, a series of system tune up options and a parental guard system to block children accessing certain sites. On this edition you are also offered 2Gb of online backup storage. Loading it is lengthy but straight forward; there is a registration process and an auto update of virus signatures etc. Over the last few years Norton `s software has been criticised for slowing down computers by using lots of memory and system time. This has been corrected and it now runs quietly in the background with little degradation in the speed of my machine (Intel i5 8 Mb RAM and Win 7 64 bit). Being in the software business I was able to exhaustively test the effectiveness of its Anti Virus and Firewall and I can report it found and deleted everything that was thrown at it. The parental controls are simple to set up and work well and the Phishing site indicator found all the false sites I tried to fool it with. This works and feels like a very well developed program and now comes with 24/7 technical support. Norton 360 constantly monitors your computer but you can scan manually from 1 file to the whole disk if you want to get involved. There is also a quick scan that checks the main system areas for viruses. These days this sort of software is essential and Norton 360 does the job well The parental controls and online storage are there is you need them so just about every data risk is covered. I also have Kasperskey Pure on another machine and they seem neck and neck in performance and functionality so whichever one you choose your system will be looked after and your data protected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton 360 version 5.0, 5 May 2011
I'd recommend that anyone who is using the Norton product range that they do not elect to automatically renew their account on-line. It will cost you nearly twice as much to take this lazy option. I initially went to PC World and 'nearly' purchased the latest version 5.0 off the shelf (cheaper than the automatic on-line renewal route).

I decided that, as I had a few days remaining I would look for an even less expensive alternative. I checked out the Amazon site and saw that the difference in price to purchase the product from them was nearly 40% less expensive... I ordered it and it arrived at my home 3 days later... I installed it onto my and two other household PC's within 40 minutes... 'sorted'!

The Norton product is very good and I have used it for over 5 years... just a little too expensive if you can't be bothered to re-install from a disc...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed with the BackUp feature, 4 Jun 2011
Mirriam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've always used Nortons - each year I buy the upgrade and had always been very happy with it. I liked the way it works with the minimal effort to set up --- and I used the BackUp facility every month to make sure the files were safe. And then I had the dreaded fatal hardrive crash , lost everything and had to have the OS reinstalled. Not to worry, I have the Nortons BackUp Save on my external hard rive - NO - big time to worry - I installed Nortons again, then tried to run the backup - totally useless. It's not rocket science to use, about 3 buttons to click and then reinstall your saved backup to the original place only it doesn't reinstall anything. I searched through my computer making sure the files hadn't been put somewhere else and they hadn't been.

Luckily, I also do a complete backup of my files onto an external hardrive, not using Nortons, and I was able to recover everything from that one. But it riles me to think that when Nortons was needed the most, it let me down. I won't ever use their BackUp facility again and I'm so disappointed that the BackUp facility doesn't seem to work that I most probably won't be buying Nortons again after my subscription runs out.

So buyer beware, don't rely on the BackUp facility included in Nortons 360.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and easy, 28 April 2011
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to my parents, who are in their mid to late 60s, and have two computers, both with wireless connectivity. The beauty of this product is that it more or less completely removed their worries about online identity theft, viruses and the like - and that it covers both their pcs. I also love that they get free phone support if they need it (they haven't yet).
This was easy to install - my Mum did it, with me just there in case she got stuck. Very much a case of doing as it tells you. One thing that may sound odd - but I did have to point out where the product key was written (on the back of the leaflet - not below!) - which could have been covered in the instructions. Anyway a small point. Oh - another point - not so small and I understand why but nonetheless - my parents are not the type to read product user guides on the pc - they printed it off - would it really be so expensive to include a paper version of this in the pack? Particularly given that I would imagine the people who are going to be attracted to this product are the less IT literate amongst us?!
Not much more to say about this really - it's a very complete protection / performance enhancing product and very simple to use. I think it provides good value for money - very good actually. On a personal note I find Norton rather demanding / annoying on my pc and I get sick of hearing from it - I kind of just want it to get on with stuff without always telling me to do things (my partner won't go near it - drives him mad!) - but for my folks this doesn't seem to be an issue - and they are very reassured by it. My advice would be think about what you want fron a security product and if you want something complete and don't mind having to update etc regularly - this is probably a very good buy for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 24 Mar 2011
C. Jean-Baptiste (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My computer was infected with a Trojan, slow and my previous Norton Anti-Virus had run out. Panic! Luckily this came around at the right time. Easy to install with prompts when you need it yet no annoying pop ups when you don't. I also appreciated that the functions were separated out so you can run what you need when you need to whoch is excellent for a computer novice (I just about get around Word and can often be found scraping Tipp-Ex off the screen) My computer is Trojan free - which was no small feat as it was a crafty, adapting, re-routing bugger and much faster. I would definately purchase again next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton 360 v5, 4 Mar 2011
Norton 360 v5 is based on the NIS2011 where as version 4 was 2010. They both have similar features but the main difference is version 5 is a better performer.The interface is broken up into sections PC Security, Identity Protection, Backup, PC tuneup and a world map you can see the worldwide cybercrime from the previous 24 hours. In my opinion the map is visual candy but not really needed.
I've found the scans take about half the time of Version 4 about 1 hour twenty minutes compared to 2 and a half hours on my system. The PC tune up utility also is handy as well as the backup protection(although I've not used the online option). The identity protection is a must and I can recommend the identity safe. There's also an option to check the performance of Norton and other processes on the CPU and memory.

Norton 360v5 good protection and not a drain on your system resources.

If you've got N360v4 you can upgrade for free by clicking on help and support on the main interface and select check for new version. I would recommend buying N360v4 if it's cheaper than v5 because you can update for free.

If you don't need all of the functions of Norton 360 it would be worth looking at these Norton products. NIS2011 Performance Pack and NIS2011 currently are good value.

Update

I've just purchased a clickfree backup device which is great. It can find all you documents, pictures and other important files no matter where they're stored on the Hard drive. It's also easy to view these and restore if required so I don't rely on N360 backup now.

Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC) by Norton from Symantec (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)