5.0 out of 5 stars More than a DVD player
This is a great Blu-ray player which boots-up immediately, with no noticeable noise. But the thing that really sold this model to me was its additional features.

Published on 1 Sep 2011 by Captain Pike

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great either.
A blu-ray and DVD player of reasonable quality. No major complaints as such, but...

1. All over the Internet, including the seller I purchased from, it's written that the DVD side is multi region. This was the main reason I bought it. It's not multi region. Not in the slightest. It requires hacking, like all the others.

2. If you want to use the...
Published on 4 Aug 2011 by Whizzud

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a DVD player, 1 Sep 2011
Captain Pike (Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony Play Blu-Ray Discs and DVDs Plus Internet Content Through BIV (Electronics)

First, this player gives you access to internet video, either via an ethernet cable or wireless dongle. Second, there is a USB port at the front which allows the user to plug in memory sticks or external hard drives to play AVI and some other video files.

Here are the pros and cons of this model:

PROS

* Two USB ports
* An ethernet port
* Virtually instant start-up
* Blu-ray picture
* Access to internet video, including BBC iPlayer and YouTube
* Very user-friendly interface and remote control

CONS

* Not every avi file is recognised by the player, but most are

Overall, the pros far outweigh the cons and such a reasonable price, this is a bargain. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a home entertainment system as I liked the telly I already had, so this seemed like the best way to add new features and enhance my viewing. I'm very pleased with the result and now enjoy catching up with BBC programmes that I've missed. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the picture quality of the YouTube clips.

One word of warning - you can only get a wireless internet connection if you buy a special Sony dongle, which costs almost half the price of the player. Unfortunately, some reviewers have commented that the signla strength isn't that great. However, there is a solution. I bought powerline ethernet adapter, which turns you home's electrical wiring system into an ethernet which can transmit 200mbps. The result has been fantastic. I can now watch high quality pictures with no danger of signal loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - first blu ray player and its fantastic !, 4 May 2011
This is my first Blu ray player and I have to say it is fantastic, picture quality is absolutely stunning (better than what I was getting from Sky Movies HD on the same tv - Sony Bravia), sound quality is just out of this world .. try The Expendables (Blu Ray) on this player and you will know what I mean!

One thing which nearly put me off from buying this player is all the ppl who complain about Sony players making a high-pitched noise.. I decided I should give it a try because I have always had Sony products and never been disappointed.

Okay, at first when I played the blu ray -- I thought oh damn, I'm going to be returning this player as you guys are right there is a high pitched noise --- but it only seems to last about 30 seconds on my player while the disc is loading -- after that , its gone and it is silent ... so glad I went ahead with this player. Have now watched a couple of movies (Expendables and The Dark Knight) and all I can say is WOW! it really is a big step up from a DVD player. Don't let the negative reviewers put you off, this is one hell of a product at a damn good price... and there I was thinking of getting a Samsung for about the same price which incidentally I saw at a store today and the picture quality is nowhere near as good as this Sony blu ray player..

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Blu Ray with Internet, 14 Mar 2011
Peter Vince (London) - See all my reviews
Sony S380 Blu-ray Player - Instant Internet Video Playback, With Media Remote and USB
Absolutely brilliant product. Took about 10 minutes to set up and I was watching BBCiPlayer in HD a few minutes later. ITV player is not available yet but Five on demand is, but is not in HD. U Tube works best if you have an existing account and you can play music videos from your pre-existing play list. The Sony freebie extras are utter rubbish but there is Love Film and the Sony version for rentals in HD.
Blu Ray quality and sound are perfect and the upscaler is excellent.
I connected my external hard drive to the front USB and happily watched our MP4 and WMV home movies and our millions of JPEGs. It won't play Quicktime stuff. May look for a codec.
Most impressed, especially with the set up to my (relatively old) Bravia TV. I just used the auto set up and it did the rest, including linking to the internet through the wired connection we used and downloading automatically the latest firmware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great either., 4 Aug 2011

2. If you want to use the Internet features, you either need to connect it to your router direct, or purchase a Sony wifi dongle which is half the price of the player. It won't work with any other wifi dongle.

On the upside, it upscales to 1080p beautifully, works quickly and quietly in my experience.

All in all, worth it if you're just after the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level player, particularly for price bracket, 22 April 2011
Received the Sony the other day to replace an old Toshiba DVD player. So far, very impressed, particularly for the price. Played both DVD and Blu Ray discs without issue - the upscaling for standard DVD's works very well. Picture quality excellent. Also linked Sony TV and Blu Ray Player together using the Bravia Sync, which works well and eliminates the need for second remote. Setup very easy - up and running in no time.

Seen some reviews complaining about this particular unit being noisy, however, personally don't have any issues. Other than a couple of clunks when initially loading the discs the unit is quiet, certainly no high-pitched whirring noises.

Overall, particularly for the price, a good entry level player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 18 Aug 2011
I have resisted buying a dedicated blu-ray player for a while on the basis that normal DVD's are cheaper and upscale very well.
However as these devices are now more than simple disk players and have internet connectivity to TV content I decided it was time to take the plunge.
The portal provided by sony includes BBC Iplayer, Channel 5, YouTube and a number of other music and pay for film portals.
I particularly wanted the YouTube access for researching technical information related to my work. Watching it on the PC worked but this make it something I can watch when I have a little time in a more relaxed setting. For those of you wanting to take a class in something then this is also an excellent source of basic introductory material which when watched on your big screen TV feels more like entertainment then study. So in fulfilling that role this unit works great.
On the DVD side, Blu-Ray disks playback is excellent. I also have a surround sound system so the sound is stunning with the new Blu-ray films and the latest sound codecs. Infact some of the new films would be pretty disappointing if it wasn't for the stunning sound tracks (Tron Legacy for one).
Things that I don't like is that the unit only has a HDMI output and a basic AV output which uses phono connections. I would have liked a scart with RBG which, as I have the HDMI going to the surround sound processor, would have allowed me to have a good quality picture without having to switch on my sound system.
Overall though for the price its a very good unit and I would recommend it for people who want a little more then just a basic player and can make use of the internet facilities that it provides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 12 Sep 2011
This is my first Blu-ray player after deliberating for a year or two. It certainly does the job. Picture and sound are both pin sharp. It does a fine job of upscaling older DVDs to near HD quality. I tested it with a region one version of Star Wars (don't laugh), the difference was noticeably better after being previously played on a Sony Home Theatre DVD system, (Picture brighter and colours more vivid). Previous reviews say this machine is noisy when playing discs but I have to say mine is as quiet as a mouse. The only noise I can hear is when the disc is loading, (like ALL disc players), after that, nothing!. It can easily be modified to play discs from all regions using a "one for all" remote, mine's a "Kamelion" and it took only five minutes. Plenty of places online to find the hack for free. Shame it doesn't have an optical out for the surround setup, the digital-out works just as well, I just like plenty of options when I mix and match separates and stuff. I'm only filling the living room with sound, not the Albert Hall!. I'm not a technical buff or a Hi-Fi snob, but I appreciate a good viewing and listening experience. I don't readily write reviews unless I am greatly impressed or greatly unimpressed, so I hope my thoughts were helpful to you. Ooooh!.....nearly forgot, I upgraded a version of "CONTACT", Jodie Foster, (don't laugh again, I like it!), from DVD to Bluray and the difference can only be described as "astonishing". I hope I didn't lose any credibility by sharing this last comment with you......enjoy your Bluray player........... UPDATE 23/Sept/11.......Have now had this connected to router. iplayer works a dream, lovefilm is also very good. There are lots of goodies to watch online which is a nice bonus as I only bought the player to watch blurays. It took literally 5 minutes to update the firmware which was a doddle. Buying Sony 820 AV Amp in a couple of weeks to get benefit of Dolby TRU Surround, wife pannicking but it'll be OK. Thanks for reading. 17/Nov/2011. Well, what do you know, another update!!!. It has been hooked up to my shiny new Sony 820 amplifier. OMG!!!, just when I thought surround sound was run of the mill and pretty good, this configuration of the Sony s380 bluray player and the Sony 820 amp really ramped up the experience. You MUST upgrade to a decent player and amp. Enough said, have fun....GB

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Player, 29 April 2011
This is a new machine which was not available in the high street when i bought it and was cheaper than the previous S370 model, so i was dubious. Nevertheless went ahead and bought it.

Picture is much better than my old S360 bluray and 'functionality' to 'access' the Internet is very good.

The machine copes well with Internet access through a powerline adapter, although certain apps like YouTube are a real dissapointment; YouTube will not show more than a handful of videos from your PC compiled YouTube playlists and the majority of their videos are coded not to show at all; cheap move from YouTube !

Tried also to sign onto the Qriocity site, but that was down due to the recent hacking situation.

The machine is very slim and small but produces great output and build quality is good; very impressive machine.

Summary: the player is excellent, picture quality is the best, but the Internet apps are limited and in their infancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Multi-region Bluray and DVD player, 16 Aug 2011
We struggled with various old DVD players before buying this one.
It made a real difference - playing DVDs from everywhere, and they all look much better.
It looks like a good machine even if we've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very neat and excellent picture quality., 20 Aug 2011
Our DVD player died so we needed a replacement and as we had a number of 'American' DVD's we needed multi-region DVD as well. This little Sony answered our needs admirably allowing us to play all of our DVD's and bring us into the world of Blu Ray. The upscaling of DVD's to HD seems to work very well to our eye's and the Blu Ray performance is excellent.
Very neat unit hardly taking up much space at all.
My only negative would be the 'on screen user interface' it seems a little 'utilitarian' but that said it is easy to navigate and use.