5.0 out of 5 stars A book I love!
Koomson's books always seem to have an element of mystery to her books - we know certain things about the characters and certain events, yet there is always something in the background we don't know everything about, and this is usually the crux of the story, and ends up shocking the reader, something I love about her books. Her last novel, The Ice Cream Girls, certainly...
Published on 4 Feb 2011 by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting mystery
I'm a huge fan of Dorothy Koomson's books (I ordered this from the US, after all!) and I was really looking forward to The Woman He Loved Before. I wish I could give this 3.5 stars, because that's a more accurate expression of my feelings about this book. There was a lot here that I liked, and a lot that seemed not to be addressed. The mystery of what happened to Eve was...
Published on 3 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars None, 12 May 2013
This review is from: The Woman He Loved Before (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very disappointing especially after the rave reviews. I finished it but found Eve diaries boring in parts and agree with other reviewers about the one dimensonal aspect of Jack. There was too much focus on Eve and not enough on Libby when I would have liked the opposite. plus a very weak ending

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DK so far, 11 Oct 2012
Y. Stewart - See all my reviews
I've just 'discovered' Dorothy Koomson,and this is the third, and so far the best, of her books I've read. I really like her style of writing, the way all the different characters have the story told from their perspective. This book is somewhat dark, which I like, life isn't all hearts and roses. It's unlike any other book I've read, kept me guessing, and was an all round good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book she's done!, 2 May 2012
I have read all of Dorothy Koomson books but this one is by far my favourite. I loved every minute of it and couldn't put the book down. The book was mysterious, and unpredictable. Absolutly loved it would read it a second time it was that good. Definitely reccomend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-written but goes too far, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Woman He Loved Before (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed several of Dorothy Koomson's books and find her writing to be of a consistently high quality. I enjoyed this book, to a point. It was well-plotted and I certainly wanted to know what the conclusion of the mystery was. My big problem with it, was that there was too much harrowing detail. I found I wanted to skip past some of it because it was so distasteful.

The story is mainly told from the point of view of three people- Libby, her husband Jack and his dead wife, Eve. It skips back and forward in time and Eve's story is told through diary entries. The start of the book lingers for far too long on how Libby and Jack got together. It was so drawn out that I started to wonder when on earth the mystery/thriller aspect was going to kick in. Once it finally did, I was much more interested. While recovering from a terrible accident, Libby becomes suspicious about how Eve died and starts to try and find out, helped by her diaries. Here's where the harrowing details come in. Eve had a truly horrifying life before she married Jack and her diaries describe it in such detail that goes on and on and on. I just wanted it to stop. The detail served a purpose to the plot but about half as much would have served the same purpose.

My other problem with the story, were the pointless side journeys that we were taken on. The police thinking that Libby's accident wasn't an accident, for example. That story takes up a fair bit of plot and goes absolutely nowhere. The book builds up to a big finale where you hope that people will get their just desserts or something exciting will happen, but it ends up being rather rushed and unsatisfying.

All in all, it's fairly classic Dorothy Koomson, but while I was reading it, it left a bitter taste. I wouldn't read it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly disappointed, 23 Oct 2011
I have read all of Dorothy Koomson's previous books so was looking forward to this. However, I was slightly disappointed as the storyline and characters didnt quite ring true for me, it was a little unbelievable. I carried on and finished the book and it did pick up a little and had an exciting element but I did not enjoy this as much as her previous books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly beautiful book, 21 Oct 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Woman He Loved Before (Kindle Edition)
It is hard to put into words the emotions that this book conjured up. I felt so sorry for Libby who desperately loved Jack but found herself in a marriage which was overshadowed by his love for his first wife, Eve, who died in mysterious circumstances three years ago.

As Libby struggles to deal with the aftermath of a car crash and the belief that Jack doesn't love her she happens upon Eve's private diaries and begins to gain an understanding of who she was and what lies behind Jack's refusal to discuss the past. As Libby delves deeper into the diaries she finds herself on her own deeply moving and emotional journey. But it soon becomes clear that nothing is as straightforward as it first seems and she finds her own life to be in danger.

I loved how the book was written from the perspectives of the main characters, Libby, Jack, Eve and even Jack's mother, Harriet. The lives of Libby and Jack in the present are cleverly interwoven with Eve's story from the past giving you an insight into each character's point of view whilst as the same time progressing the actual story.

This story was beautifully written and extremely engaging. The writing style made me feel like I was actually there and a witness to what was taking place.

Although it is a large book the time flew by whilst I was reading it and I reached the end far too quickly. You know how you feel when you reach the end of a book and you feel slightly bereft that it is over? That is how I felt when I finished the last page.

This is the first book I have read by Dorothy Koomson - I now wish I hadn't waited so long to find her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected psychological thriller - brilliant, 16 Oct 2011
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Woman He Loved Before (Kindle Edition)
Dorothy Koomson's writing is engaging, in this story Libby is married to Jack when they are involved in a car crash. There marriage has been overshadowed by his former wife Eve who died. Whilst recovering a mysterious visit from the police and discovering hidden diaries written by Eve, with a cryptic covering letter, makes Libby examine their marriage in greater detail.

Eve's diaries started when she was sixteen and I found her the most engaging of all the characters in this book but the whole story drew me in from the start. I enjoyed Goodnight, Beautiful: Everybody has secrets ... will this one break somebody's heart? but didn't find The Ice Cream Girls anywhere near as good so I was doubtful about whether to try this one, so glad I did as it is a great read one I could see myself reading again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW AMAZING, 20 Sep 2011
Wow what an amazing book. I brought it two day ago and i cound not put it down. It an amazing story with a brilliant twist. I would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Woman He Loved Before (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few of DK's books and I find they take a grip from the start. I started this one when my plane was delayed at the airport. It was only delayed by one hour but it was enough to get me hooked. I finished the book the next day. The three main characters in the book are all likeable, although as someone mentioned in a previous review Eve seems to be the strongest character in the story even though she is not alive. In parts it is a sad story where Eve is forced to make a living in which she ordinarily wouldn't choose and comes across all kinds of undesirable characters. It is very cleverly written and keeps the reader guessing right near to the very end. An excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 7 Sep 2011
S. Sellars "Sara" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic - its Dorothy Koomson at her best. At first, I wasn't so sure but was absolutely hooked after about the third chapter. Read the whole book in about two days. The story is original, well-thought out and kept you gripped to the end. Dorothy Koomson always has the knack of making you feel for her characters and sympathise with their predicaments. Love all her books but think this is a definite keeper and one which you could read again and again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›