5.0 out of 5 stars If you only ever buy one ED life story, buy this one
The title of this review says it all... For me, this book was immensely helpful because Harriet's experience as a mother of a teenager with anorexia was almost identical to mine. I didn't read this book until our teenager was almost recovered as I found reading ED life stories very difficult up to then.

Harriet doesn't just describe her own experiences, she...
Published on 10 Nov. 2011 by Bev Mattocks

3.0 out of 5 stars a disappointing read
i was disappointed by this book, no story and far too much waffle about research. It was written my a mum about her daughter and yet we don't see the daughter coming through at all in the story line. Still it is a great subject at i admire them for reaching through to a result.
Published on 23 Oct. 2012 by HGS53

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only ever buy one ED life story, buy this one, 10 Nov. 2011

Harriet doesn't just describe her own experiences, she talks about the research, etc behind eating disorders in a way that balances the pro's and con's of each approach extremely well.

If you only ever buy one ED life story, buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly informative - highly recommended, 27 Mar. 2012
Whilst I did not always get on with the style of prose used by Ms Brown, I found the book itself so informative, on so many levels. I am incredibly grateful to both mother & daughter for having the courage to share such an awful experience so that other parents/carers may know how to help their loved ones. The medical background is well researched and makes this more than just a memoir. A vital part of your armoury against eating disorders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
This book, written from a mother's perspective, gives a good overview of how the use of Family Based Therapy (FBT) is important in dealing with anorexia. I found it very emotional in places and found many resemblances to my own daughter's struggles with AN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully accurate, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
I closed my eyes with pain at the very first page because this could be my book. This is the life we are living, right now, as we refeed our 15 year old daughter. I felt every feeling that the mother felt; I know every emotion; I've seen all the situations she described...
Thank you for writing this book, for showing me I'm not alone in my daily struggles. I'm going to ask everyone I know to read this to help them understand what living with anorexia is really like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parent's opinion, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
As the mother of a daughter who has been struggling with an eating disorder for several years I would recommend any other parent in a similar position to read this. It is difficult not to blame yourself for the problem and to trust your instincts when barmy professionals are telling you that you are wrong. This book says loud and clear - it isn't your fault, and trust your instincts - you know your child better than anyone else. Plus it's full of real information.

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful!, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
Amazing how an "outsider" had managed to gain an understanding of what an anorexic feels like- I found this account to be really accurate in terms of the sufferer. Recommend this to anyone hoping to gain an insight into anorexia, or caring for an anorexic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative!, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very informative and thought provoking. I gives you a real sense of what it must be to live with a child with an eating disorder and helps you to really understand what the person with the eating disorder must be going through. Also with the studies and research pieces about anorexia throughout the book it goes someway to help in understanding the reasons behind the illness. I would recommend this book to any parent struggling with coming to terms with the fact that their child has anorexia and understanding what their child is going through. I would also recommend it to anyone who just wants to know more about what it means to have anorexia.
I found it to be a great support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
Wow what an amazing book well written. My daughter was diagnosed 13weeks ago with an ed .
It might as well been me writing this book about my daughter.
Very informative , we r doing the maudsey approach!
All I can say it's thank goodness for the nhs!
Please read this it makes everything a lot clearer!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing insight into the impact of anorexia on the family, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Harriet to write this book, which documents her daughter's battles with anorexia. I have never read a book that was written from the parent's point of view that was so insightful whilst also being informative.

Harriet clearly did a huge amount of research during the course of her daughter's illness, a lot of which is shared in lay speak with the reader which is very interesting (and would save someone getting to grips with the subject a lot of time). Harriet and her family go down the difficult route of family based treatment which is proving very successful in the UK but for which she had no support locally. It was hugely interesting to read how this impacted on their family and how difficult it was to follow through with the suggested methods and ways of communicating - but it was also clear ultimately how rewarding it was in terms of outcomes. There is a lot of evidence that the most important factor in eating disorder recovery is a supportive family and Harriet's story clearly shows what a vital role a determined and supportive family can play.

I think this book would make interesting reading for anyone who is currently caring for a loved one with an eating disorder - it's not an easy read but it may help you to feel less alone and point you in the direction of some good ideas. It is also interesting reading for anyone who has recovered themselves, or cared for someone who has. It is highly emotionally charged and Harriet has not hidden any of the grim realities of anorexia, but her frank, open and honest approach makes this book invaluable and unique in my opinion.

If you are interested in reading this book because you are caring for someone with an eating disorder, I'd recommend you also read Skills-Based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Method Treasure, Janet ( Author ) Jul-18-2007 Paperback which is aimed at any families wanting to use the Maudsley Method (as Harriet and her family did) but who don't have access to support groups etc.

Above all, Harriet's book brings hope where sometimes it feels there is none. This story does have a happy ending and so, I hope, will yours.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative book, 28 Mar. 2012
L. Wynn "lara" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brave Girl Eating (Kindle Edition)
very informative book however i think its more for people who are researching or want facts and figures not just people who want a book to read

Brave Girl Eating