Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 June 2012
Prior to purchasing 'Bel Air' a few weeks ago the last Guano Apes release I bought was the highly impressive 'Don't Give Me Names' over 10 years ago. I was intrigued as to how the band would now sound. The album kicks off with the infectious 'Sunday Lover'. A good opener and probably the best track on the album. It gets the balance right between mainstream catchiness whilst retaining the distinctive Apes vibe. The next song 'Oh What A Night' sounds very FM friendly with a big chorus and it becomes obvious that Guano Apes have definitely chosen a more commercial direction. Had this song been on one of their older albums it would have undoubtedly sounded more raw, here it's quite a throwaway number that I'd expect teenage girls to dance to at a high school disco rather than the bands core fanbase who surely must be between 25-35?

Another damp squib is 'She's A Killer', the song is buried beneath a high level of compression that simply does Guano Apes no favours whatsoever (for a moment I thought I was listening to the Scissor Sisters), again had this had a more organic natural sound it may well have been a good track. Some songs however come across well, 'When The Ships Arrive' & 'This Time' are solid tunes but the filler material here renders Bel Air a resoundingly undistinguished album, had the Apes released an EP with the best 4 tracks I would have been very impressed.

For anyone curious as to where the band are at now I'd approach with caution and maybe check out a few of the tracks on Youtube etc before buying. Although some tracks are not suited to the production and probably sound better played live the point is there's several songs here which wouldn't have got anywhere near the old Apes albums. Still I'm not sorry I bought it but just don't expect an essential album.
on 20 August 2011
First off, let me say that Walking On A Thin Line (Guano Apes' last album) is one of my all time favourites. And that being said, i found Bel Air slightly disapointing.
At first as there seemed to be too few catchy quirky tunes on the album. However, once you give it a couple of listens it does grow on you. Where WOATL had instant appeal with songs like 'You Can't Stop Me', 'Sing That Song', 'Sugar Skin', 'Diokahn', 'Storm' & 'Dick', Bel Air has fewer stompers like 'She's A Killer', 'Tiger', 'All I Wanna Do' & 'Trust'.
I dont know whether it's pressure from the label or if the band's just softened a bit but there are too many mainstream run-of-the-mill songs on here that you'd NEVER have associated with the Guano Apes of 10 years ago. But never the less, it's great to see they've returned. Let's just hope the next album sees them return to their rock-funk best :)
on 18 May 2015
once again an excellent album by Sandra and the guys. not disappointed. Some classic tracks as normal
on 15 November 2014
Different than what I was expecting, still great
on 3 May 2016
A few classic tracks but not a classic album.
on 8 December 2015