5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've ever read on stand-up
I own at least 8 books on stand-up comedy, and I only bought this one because I just arrived in London and considered doing Logan Murray's course.

Published on 20 May 2009 by Paco Erhard

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special
A lot of waffle without much substance. As a budding (?) stand-up, I didn't find it of any great help
Published 3 months ago by Garbage Hater

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've ever read on stand-up, 20 May 2009
Paco Erhard (London, England) - See all my reviews

Well, after only reading some random parts of the book I knew that this is by far the best and most helpful book on stand-up comedy I have ever read. It covers lots of areas other established books don't even touch; there is golden advice on every page, and unlike with many of the other books you know after reading only a few lines that here is somebody who has actually done stand-up successfully instead of just writing about it.
For anybody who thinks about trying their hand at stand-up: buy this book!

Having said that, I don't want to slag all off the other books, but too many of them tell you too many things you already know or that are simply about 20 years out of date. If you would like to complement this book with others, I'd recommend Jay Sankey's "Zen and the art of stand-up comedy" for a very interesting look at the performance side of stand-up, and Greg Dean's "Step by Step to Stand-up Comedy" mainly for its interesting and helpful approach to the dreadfully tricky topic of rehearsing for stand-up comedy. And since Greg Dean covers the important (though in some ways dated) set-up/punchline stuff (that everybody who's ever told a joke probably knows, to be honest) you probably don't need any of the others, either.

But for me, Logan Murray's book is absolute top dog among these three and I will definitely do his course even though I've been on stage before.

Ah yeah, none of the books will of course save you from actually going on stage over and over and over again and dying on your arse every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars comedy toolkit, 23 July 2009
I have bought a number of stand-up comedy books, done a few gigs (failed to beat the frog, gonged off at the comedy store) and even took a part time course. If I'd had this book to start with I would have progressed further a lot quicker. This is a very practical manual which will have you writing your own material very soon. It helps you decide which type of comic you want to be, and shows you how to play to your strengths. It's a good book at a good price, and in my view should be top of your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A goldmine for the beginner!, 15 Oct 2008
I'd done two open mic spots before getting this and let's just say they didn't go fantastically!
With the help of this book I have managed to write some fantastic new material. All of which I managed to mine out of my own head thanks to the techniques I picked up form this book. I would recommend this to anyone who has suffered with the dreaded writers block, as it offers all kinds of writing ideas that will get your creative juices flowing again.

While there are a lot of useful exercises for the individual working alone, there are twice as many for those working in groups (No use to me but great if you're working with other trainee comedians!). Even so, there's plenty for the lone writer to get stuck into, including a complete set building workshop.

This book follows the standard format of the Teach Yourself range which is easy to follow and packed with handy tips and words of wisdom from other comedians. Taking you from the history of stand-up through comedy theory, joke theory & routine building right up to stagecraft and the all important business side.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best all-inclusive starter guide money can buy.., 13 Feb 2008
Mr. P. Parry "pjplondon" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I say the best all-inclusive starter guide *money* can buy, having said that bartering or exchanging love or other goods might find you a better guide.

This is a fantastic book - giving you a good guide of basic how to do everything on stage - from mic usage to pausing and working the room - as well as excellent stuff on how to generate material and ways to come up with different ways of doing the joke. Oh, and afterthought everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually works, 14 Mar 2013
Mr. S. E. RAVEN "book junky" (London, England) - See all my reviews
There are plenty of crap books out there written by unfunny hacks, but after reading this and then taking one of the guy's courses, I can honestly say it was the best book I ever bought. Not that he's trying to come on like Dostoevsky but its massively practical and finally kicked me into comedy, with the material and confidence his games instil in you. Please don't buy it though because comedy is full and I don't want any more competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with practical advice and creativity exercises..., 14 Dec 2010
Logan Murray loves stand-up comedy, he loves the whole concept of it, he's made his living at it for over 20 years and he loves teaching it. All this comes across in this inspiring book. It's packed with advice for the new comic and is a complete guide to becoming a stand-up. It has loads of impro exercises that are particularly good for groups but there's quite a few writing exercises you can do on your own. These really get your creative juices flowing. I teach comedy myself and this is the book my student's like best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, practical and interesting, 29 May 2010
R. Lowry (North East England) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on the market I have read. I have used the ideas to improve my performance (after dinner speaking), and would recommend the book to anyone interested in reading about, thinking about and especially doing something about getting better as a stand-up/comedy performer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you thinking and gets you creative, 17 Sep 2009
P. Cronin - See all my reviews
An excellent step up from Greg Deans stand up book. This book certainly gets you thinking and broadens your view of what is funny. It doesnt concentrate on joke formats but instead exercises to get you working within those formats and creating material. Advice at the end from working stand ups gives a true reflection of the pros and cons and some useful advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, 3 Nov 2011
Logan's book gives a step by step guide of how to break into the world of stand up at all levels. It's extremely useful that the author is a stand up and therefore advises you from his own experiences. Logan's genuine enthusiasm and passion for all things stand up make it a compelling book for anyone interested in comedy whether it's from a performance, writing or even audience viewpoint it will leave you with a thorough appreciation for the art form. Get this book: it delivers honest inspiration Be a Great Stand-Up: Teach Yourself

4.0 out of 5 stars For stand ups everywhere, 3 Jun 2011
Brijm (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have it on good authority Logan did not choose the embarassing title. I think this books complements Sally Holloway's 'Serious guide to joke writing', which is a succinct guide to - you guessed it - joke writing but not much else. Logan's book is a little more verbose and is not a 'how to' guide for writing jokes, giving exercises rather than specific tips, but there is useful advice on performance, how to get your first gig and the business side of the business.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›