5.0 out of 5 stars ballet shoes
I am 70 years old and read this book when I was six the memory of the enjoyment I had from reading this book has always stayed with me. I have bought it for my own daughters and my nieces when they were young now I want to give the same pleasure to my grand-daughters.
Published on 9 Oct 2006 by Evalyn Gibson

1.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book a very bad edition!
I love this book and have done since I was a child however the kindle version had so many mis spellings and missed words it made it very difficult to read and therefore more difficult to enjoy.

I was really disappointed and I wouldn't want anyone else to be disappointed too. If you love the book buy the proper version not the kindle one!
Published on 14 Oct 2010 by emipie2003

5.0 out of 5 stars ballet shoes, 9 Oct 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballet Shoes, 1 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I bought this for my daughter(7 at the time)who is mad on ballet, and it quickly became her favourite book. It is the story of three sisters (who are not really sisters at all, but brought together to live in the same household by chance)and describes all their ups and downs as they train at stage school. My daughter particularly identified with the youngest sister, Posy, an aspiring dancer who is full of character. All three girls are completely believable, and despite the length of time ago it was written, act in many ways just like modern day sisters! The first time round I read it aloud as the vocabulary is a little old-fashioned and complicated for a 7 year old to read unaided. Now 8, my daughter has since read it many, many times over to herself. I didn't read this as a child and I missed out - as an adult I enjoyed reading it as much as my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary comfort-food, 15 Oct 2011
Just a Mo (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballet Shoes (Kindle Edition)
A lovely, lovely book. Funny, sad, informative - it's got the lot. And a mildly happy ending - one gets the feeling that the end is only the beginning. In fact the Fossil sister make an appearance in a later book of Noel Streatfeild's. I don't know how the training the girls received would stand up to today's stage schools - Pop Idol and X Factor it ain't, but it's a perennial favourite and I won't lend my battered copy to anybody, Now it's on my Kindle so I've got it for good.
I read this book when I was 7, and again at 15, and 25, and 30 - and now that I'm 54 (+VAT) I'm reading it again. It's the kind of book you want to curl up with on a wet afternoon, or after a lousy day at work when everything has gone wrong. Pure escapism, and great fun.
If you enjoyed it, try White Boots and Wintle's Wonders. Every bit as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless - Excellent, 8 July 2004
Ms. Lucy J. Newman "Lucy Newman" (Barcombe, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballet Shoes (Hardcover)
I am never going to be able to do this book justice, but having seen that it has no reviews, I feel that it just has to be represented by someone! I am twenty three, and an avid reader, and of all the books in my life, this is still one of my favorites, and I know that it always will be. It is described as a 'childrens classic', but it could be read by anyone of any age (my mum has just reread her copy AGAIN!) and it will be recognized as a beautiful and engaging book and thoroughly enjoyed. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and everyone should read it, whether you are an eight year old girl that is obbssesed with ballet, or a forty year old that appreciates wonderful literature

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is for everyone!, 8 April 2002
By A Customer
This book is simply written so that you can really see its honest goodness. It will make you burst out laughing at Posy's imitations and ponder what the girls can do to earn money along with them. I really enjoy this book every time I read it (and I have read it five times). I consider it the best in the series of "Shoe Books" because I can identify with Posy and I have really found a friend in her. This family of adopted sisters is a family that will agree with any person who reads it and in its cast of colorful characters the reader is bound to identify with one of them. I hope that other teenagers like myself will pick up and read this book just for fun because it is easy to read and always makes me feel better when I am down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but shrewd story, 8 May 2005
Star_Sea "Xing" (Salisbury, England) - See all my reviews
It's not surprising this is such a classic story. I first read it when I was around nine, and was captivated by all three protagonists. Pauline, Petrova and Posy Fossil are all adopted as babies by Great Uncle Matthew (known as Gum) and sent to live at his house in London, along with his massive collection of fossils. They are looked after by the thoughtful Sylvia and the practical Nana.

The story really begins when the money Gum has sent for the girls' upbringing runs out. Sylvia and Nana don't know how to contact him; they have no idea where he is; there is even some suspicion he may be dead. Then one of the people who boards with them comes up with an idea for the three girls to attend a school of Dance and Acting so that they can earn some money through stage productions. In different ways, their training at the school is the making of all three girls.

Streatfield is careful to make the girls' characters as distinctive as their looks: tall, blonde and beautiful Pauline is interested in English and Drama; Petrova, who is thin and dark, is of a practical frame of mind, good at Maths and Mechanics; while Posy, to whom the shoes of the title belong, has a talent for showing off. The book is truthful about the way sisters interact, their squabbles, the way two band together against one (often it is Pauline and Petrova against Posy, as they try to stop her showing off), how fame can affect young children. There is often a great deal of scrimping and saving, but the girls never let this depress them. As the book draws to a close, Pauline's and Posy's futures become clear, but Petrova's remains uncertain. You wonder what will happen to her; you wonder if Gum will ever appear again.

A great book for all little girls, not just those interested in ballet.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest stories ever written., 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This was one of my favourite books when I was little. It is just the sweetest story. I must have read it about a million times. Interestingly the character Posy appears in another of Noel Streatfield's books involving a girl wanting to learn to dance, another wonderful story called The Painted Garden. Ballet Shoes is a must read for all of Streatfield's fans and just for people who like sweet stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved every second, 10 April 2000
By A Customer
I loved this book so much. I felt like I was being sucked into the story and I was there. I could feel the nervousness of them before they went on stage. I felt like I was there, dancing. I would give this book 11 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 29 Dec 2007
This is not usually the sort of book I would go for, as it is about Ballet, the cover is pink, it's quite old and is not fantasy, but with the release of the TV movie I thought I would give it a go. I managed to finish it before seeing the film and so had no preconceptions.
Not only did I LOVE it, but wanted to read it again right away and desperate even more to see it come to life.
I felt that it was really well written and I could get into the story and feel the characters come to life off the page.
The three girls made sisters by chance have such a strong bond and faithfulness to each other and their carers. Doing all they can to get money to help pay for bills etc, they go to a Stage training academy and learn different dances, acting and singing, and then getting parts in productions that pay.
I would definately recommend this to ballet fans, but also anyone who likes a nice heartwarming story. Really good read, that will keep you turning the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Ballet Shoes (Paperback)
excellent book, should be a must read for all girls, I enjoyed it as a young girl. Very well written

Ballet Shoes