5.0 out of 5 stars Best filmed Tempest to date (though that's not saying much)
Let me say right off: I am a total Bardolator. I teach Shakespeare, I am obsessed with Shakespeare, I have read and seen all the plays, and my love affair with the Bard began with seeing a live performance of The Tempest in 1975. It was pure magic. I also love movies, and I believe that in the 21st century, filmed versions of Shakespeare's plays are probably the best way...
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by J. C. Bloom

3.0 out of 5 stars All the infections that the sun sucks up from bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall, and make him by inch-meal a disease!
It's the same old story: A young mother with the unusual name of Prospera who has a four-year-old child is cheated of her inheritance when her husband dies and her greedy brother forces her to leave, penniless, into the rough world. She grows strong, self-reliant and determined. As she thinks about her fate, sulphurous resentment bubbles even as she bends her new life to...
Published on 19 April 2012 by C. O. DeRiemer

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good interpretation, 16 July 2013
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this before reading the original play. This was a great interpretation and having Prospero as a female really enhanced the story

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent interpretation, 25 Jun 2013
ManchesterMonkey (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
A female Prospero and Russell Brand involved, I was sure what to expect. Helen Mirren is delightful as ever, Russell Brand is just fabulous as Trinculo (I didn't think I'd say that) and Alfred Molina superbly pompous as Stephano.

Overall, greatly enjoyable - despite what the critics thought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it!, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
Very enjoyable! Great acting and an absolute wonderful cast to make this an excellent experience to enjoy Shakespeare at it's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top draw!, 9 May 2013
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent movie, even with russel brand. Great portrait of the play, with excellent cast and depiction. Well worth the money which wasnt much.

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 22 April 2013
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
this was an interesting version of the tempest as it combined si-fi with the original text :D i really love it

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting performance of the Tempest., 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
I recommend a very good service and an excellent product. A modernisation of the drama
and addional information about the production well worth watching.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for the play, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
I love Shakespeare and am very open minded when it comes to adaptations and I thought Helen Mirren was great as Prospera, however I feel the movie had lost the essence of the play text. I thought Caliban was portrayed as farcical rather than as the villain he is in the play, and although Sycorax was mentioned I do not think there was enough emphasis on her black magic. Prospero is the antithesis of Sycorax and Caliban but this contrast was not emphasised enough.

On the other hand, they are only my opinions and my partner enjoyed the movie. As he had not read the play he was not comparing it and watched it as a piece of entertainment.

One warning, this cannot be a replacement to reading the text and will not add to a greater understanding of the play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont be put off by the negative reviews. See it for yourself., 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
I agree that the lack of clarity to many of the speeches is a big problem. Otherwise the film is entertaining, visually exciting and with good performances. Helen Mirren is excellent and it is true Russell Brand is good too. There are no bad performances. A re-edited version allowing the words to come forward and be heard and the other sounds to be more background and less foreground would solve all its problems.

There is nothing wrong with a traditional visualisation of the story. I have small children that I am introducing to Shakespeare. It is helpful for children (and adults too) to have a true authentic context before watching re-imaginings of the plays in anachronistic settings. Modern settings are fine too, especially for those who have become a little jaded from seeing many productions of a play and want to see something new and richly imagined.

I will be taking my children to a Network Theatre production of the Tempest at Waterloo London starting in February 2012. They have enjoyed watching this film and with its help they will be able to follow and understand who's who and whats going on in the play better than they ever could without it. (I enjoyed it too and could have enjoyed it more if I could have heard all of it)

If you want to see Shakespeare at the cinema and on DVD it has to succeed and make its production costs. I feel that this film never stood a chance. Derided by the critics. I was unable to find any cinema that was showing it. This type of reception will no doubt harm future productions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen's Mirren's 'Prospera' confirmed my discomfort with the usual interpretation of the Duke and was BRILLIANT. The special eff, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
Helen Mirren's 'Prospera' confirmed my discomfort with the usual interpretation of the Duke and was BRILLIANT. The special effects happily took care of some of the more boring scenes in standard versions. All of the actors inhabited their roles well and gave greater understanding of their characters and the play to the audience. Russell Brand was Russell Brand but it worked as the 'Fool'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Tempest [DVD] (DVD)
bought it for my grandson he was well pleased

The Tempest [DVD]
The Tempest [DVD] by Julie Taymor (DVD - 2011)
6.83