5.0 out of 5 stars Backing-up made easy
Published 23 months ago by Ms. Sc Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not for long.
Bought this last year, and was actually really impressed. Did exactly what it said on the tin, and while the pre-installed 'turbo usb' is a con (since USB is hardware, there's nothing software will do that will increase data transfer speeds) it worked brilliantly.

Published on 23 Oct 2011 by T. A. Stanyard

5.0 out of 5 stars Backing-up made easy, 28 May 2012
Ms. Sc Jones "Suki" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buffalo Ministation 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive (Personal Computers)
Purchased the Buffalo Ministation for backing up the contents of my laptop. This review is aimed at those like myself, who may not have used anything like this before and don't consider themselves very 'techie' :) It is very small and smart-looking (I was extremely impressed with its good looks and feeling of 'quality'), and very simple to use - simply plug it in to a USB port and a window opens into which you simply drag and drop anything you want to save. You can create individual folders to organise everything exactly as it is on your computer, eg 'My Documents', 'Music', 'Firefox Bookmarks', etc. Very simple.

I was worried about the whole 'FAT32' and 'NTFS' thing that I read on other reviews, turned out to be very simple though - the first time you use it, it tells you it is pre-formatted in FAT32, and gives you the option of continuing in FAT32 (which you would do if you are using it with a PS3 or a X-Box 360 I believe) or reformatting to NTFS which it tells you is the recommended format to use with Windows. I opted to reformat as I'm using Windows and it did this in about 30 seconds flat, and that was that, all done and ready to use. There's absolutely nothing else to do to 'set it up'.

The Ministation has a useful blue light which shows you when it is 'busy', so you know not to unplug it when it's still 'working'. As long as the light isn't still flashing from the last thing you did, you can simply unplug it when you're done. It's very fast, I backed up everything I could find on my laptop, even game-saves etc, from scratch in about half an hour, and most of that time was my enormous music collection which took 24 minutes on its own :) Even after that it wasn't hot at all, not even warm.

I'm delighted with it, and although I'd never heard of Buffalo before and so was a bit cautious about buying it, it definitely outperforms the Samsung one my mother uses and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. (In fact I think I will be buying these as gifts for my family members in the run-up to Christmas!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive at a fantastic price with 2 Year warranty from Buffalo. PS3 & X-Box 360 compatible., 28 Feb 2011
A. Croft (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
The first thing you will notice about this drive is its size and colour. The drive itself is tiny at 14mm high x 114mm deep x 77mm wide and comes in a high gloss piano black finish. As shown in the image there is a blue light that glows when the light is on and this is a nice touch. My father has the Buffalo Juststore 500GB USB 2.0 Slimline Portable External Hard Drive - Black and I was going to order the same until I found this updated model was being released.

The drive transfers at 27MBps (which is quick) on my machine. The noise level is non-existent and I've not had any issues with the drive getting excessively warm/hot either. As is normal with portable hard drives the USB lead is tiny so I ordered a longer lead from the Amazon basics range AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable (1.8 Metres) [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging] and it works just as good.

The drive comes pre-formatted with the FAT32 filing system (what you will need should you wish to use it with a PS3 or a X-Box 360) but software is included to change this to NTFS if you so wish. The drive will obviously come with the standard 1 year warranty but Buffalo have extended for another year to make it up to 2 years :-)

Fantastic buy and well worth the money

One final note. If you do need a case to keep it protected I personally can recommend the LUPO Protective EVA Universal 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive Case - BLACK and it fits just nicely inside and it'll also house the 1.8M USB cable too

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tidy little external drive., 26 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (Airdrie, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
I had been looking around for a small external drive to replace an old Seagate one to work in conjunction with my Memeo AutoBackup software package and came across this one as I was browsing through different models on the Amazon Site. All the reviews seemed positive and the price was in the area I was looking to pay, so I bit the bullet and ordered one, which arrived safely a couple of days later. I must say that, whilst I knew it was going to be a bit smaller than my Seagate drive, I was amazed to see just how small and tidy a unit it was/is. I connected it to my PC via the supplied (very small) USB cable, reformatted it from FAT32 to NTFS which took only seconds to carry out, set up a new backup plan on Memeo and left it to get on with the job. I came back about ten minutes later to find that the job was finished - much quicker than I had expected. All in all then, I must say I am happy to endorse this drive, especially to people who need something which is very small and tidy. I have given it a 4* rating rather than five, purely because of the tiny USB cable supplied with it, as most people will probably need to use a longer one, which could add to their costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, Great Price, 16 Jun 2011
Bought this to back up my MacBook using Time Machine. The Mac recognised it straight away and I had it formatted and backing up within about 5 minutes. It's small (not much bigger than my wallet), quiet and seems very fast to me. Does exactly what I wanted; can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant External Hard Drive, 19 Mar 2011
The Unknown (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for a decent external hard drive for quite some time, one which wasn't plagued by dodgy software which tried to make you use it in a certain way, unlike that you just plug it in (format it to NTFS if necessary) and then simply drag and drop the required files. Aesthetically it looks fantastic, by far the best looking, sleekest external HDD on the market, and due to its size I leave it plugged in on my desk, and it takes up virtually no room at all. It has a quick transfer rate, makes minimal noise and doesn't seem to overheat as do some other external hard drives, and I leave it plugged in all the time.

My PC is only a 40GB Dell from 2004, so I needed a lot of extra space and this did the trick, I have a entire backup of my system files and documents, as well as storing about 200GB of films etc. with a large 300GB left over for further expansion.

Perhaps the only minor inconvenience is the fact that the drive is pre-formatted to FAT32 (meaning you can't store individual files of over 4GB on the disk, such as films)however there is a very simple step by step guide in the form of a PDF document on the hard drive which you can follow. After formatting to NTFS I had 465GB of space left, so it's about 35GB under the stated amount even when completely clear with no partition but its no major problem.

Overall a great hard drive, which lets you use it how you like, perfect for back-up and storing the large media files which we all have today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffalo Ministation 500GB with 2 years Warranty. Easy to drag and drop files, 19 Mar 2011
Fohel Ali (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had to choose between the Seagate Freeagent Goflex or this stunning Buffalo Ministation. After doing a huge amount of research i decieded to go for the Buffalo having read many distrupting reviews on Seagates quality over the past few years. I was very suprise to see how quickly this hard drive transferred files. I transferred 30GB of movies into the hard drive from my cmoputer and it took only 16 minutes which is very fast. Another great quality of this device is its small slim and sleek design, Absolutely stunning. I cant recommend this hard drive enough. Its easy and very simple to use, just drag and drop your files, No softwares needed unlike the new WD passport hard drives. I mainly use this device to put my collection of movies and other data in. It doesnt make any noises and hardly heats up. The blue LED light gives it a nice finish. I leave the hard drive on my desktop connected to my 32 Inch Samsung UE32C5100 LED TV which allows me to watch movies straight from a USB Device.

overall i highly recommend this hard drive ti everyone. Its of great quality, design and size. Cant go wrong. Easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy storage., 14 Mar 2011
R. D. Spence "audio-david" (Belfast - UK) - See all my reviews
What is there to say about a portable hard drive?

It is portable and so far works well.

Windows 7 64 bit detected it immediately it was connected so I haven't run the accompanying software.

Looks very stylish and understated with the blue light on the front.

The supplied USB cable could be a bit longer hence the 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, works great, 19 Nov 2011
K. Jamal (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 1:43 Mins

A quick view of the Buffalo ministation 500gb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive , Great price, 24 Feb 2011
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was originally going to buy the previous Juststore version which is now discontinued and went for this latest ministation slimline version - Built well and feels durable with a sleek black case - Actual size is 7.7cm wide X 11.4cm long and 1.4cm thick.
Very happy so far and would recommend

Looks like 1TB on the cards as well Buffalo Ministation 1TB USB 2.0 Slimline Portable External Hard Drive - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not for long., 23 Oct 2011

Until this week, when it began to run slowly, make alot of noise and finally just die. It's now not recognised at all by any pc, simply appearing as "Drive *insert letter*" that you can't access. Buffalo don't offer any data recovery. I've tried putting the drive in a separate enclosure with a different PSU, no difference. The drive itself is faulty and I'm currently wondering how to get my data off it.

Worth spending a bit more and getting a more reliable HDD.

ARRAY(0xa95ccdec)